• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

the Do's and Don'ts of wc3 modeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm fairly new at modeling but I know enough to make models. Problem is, I'm used to modeling for a different game. So, in short:
What are some rules for warcraft3 models? Such as what I can and can't use. Do I have to triangulate objects? Can objects have more than 1 texture? Does the model have to be a single object or can it be multiple objects?
Things like that. +rep for giving a nice link/list of things that are generally bad to do for warcraft3 models.

Btw, what is the unit size for wc3 models? Or it doesn't really matter?

Level 6
I was originally modding a game called 'Penumbra Overture'. I was using maya 7.0 with collada plugin.

Right now I'm using 3dmax 5.0 with blizzard art tools (is it normal that I can't import mdx, just export it?).

I can make a list of questions. Such as are there any special naming rules, do I have to put collision boxes in (I don't believe so), ect.

Level 6
Penumbra is one of the scarier games I've played XD (alot scarier than doom3/shooters that are supposed to be scary like doom3)

But does anyone have a link for what I can/can't do with the models?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Yes, the best advice is just to follow the art tools tutorial, it outlines most of the major options to make a functional Warcraft III model.

Status
Not open for further replies.