• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest #8 - Melee Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Oh, just thought I'd add that Beastmaster already is an orc, as far as I know. Green orcs have been exposed to warlock magic or inherited the colour. I'm personally thinking the latter is a lame excuse from Blizzard to cover up for the fact that all orcs have been green until Rexxar appeared (correct me if I'm wrong here), and instead of Rexxar (and Garrosh) being the oddball(s), they pronounce brown orcs as the original skin tone, and that they grow gradually greener due exposure to warlock magic, until approaching red skin tone and burning eyes. The latter of which I was convinced was a curse cast upon them for drinking the blood of Mannoroth. Alas, I don't really know, as I never cared for the lore, nor the campaigns.

Looking pretty nice, Ampharos, but don't let the Egyptian style overshadow the fact he's still a hero for the Undead faction of WC3, and still is a fairly frost-based hero. Egypt resembles deserts and pyramids, and as such isn't quite accurate. On the other hand, the typical lich in other lores is an Egyptian mummy of sorts, so I see where this is coming form.

Eep, I probably should have better explained what I'm planning to do. I'm not redesigning Jaina, I'm redesigning the Blood Mage using Jaina's model.

If that's still against the rules, it's cool; I'll do something else.

Yeah, I can see how it's easy to misunderstand the contest theme like that. Anyway, as some already stated, you have to make a skin for the model of a hero mentioned in the rules and re-design it so that it still fits that hero's abilities and hero name. In other words, the Blood Mage still has to be a Blood Mage, it still needs to suit the abilities the hero uses (in melee) and use the same model, but it can look different and be of any other race that is part of the Human faction's unit roster (in WC3).

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 49
Now you can also edit the neutral heroes into any race you want =D
Well... naturally turning Goblin Tinker into Orc wont work, but turning the Beastmaster into an orc for example, could work.

From what I understand from shiiK here:

Anyway, as some already stated, you have to make a skin for the model of a hero mentioned in the rules and re-design it so that it still fits that hero's abilities and hero name. In other words, the Blood Mage still has to be a Blood Mage, it still needs to suit the abilities the hero uses (in melee) and use the same model, but it can look different and be of any other race that is part of the Human faction's unit roster (in WC3).

You're not allowed to change the hero's actual race. Obviously, Orc Beastmasters would make sense, but you can't turn him into a Fel Orc, for example, as that would make little sense.

so how's this now:
View attachment 102710
decided not to make it resemble a lich face.

finished the hip thigie btw:
View attachment 102711

Looks amazing, I love it so far. :)

Oh, just thought I'd add that Beastmaster already is an orc, as far as I know. Green orcs have been exposed to warlock magic or inherited the colour. I'm personally thinking the latter is a lame excuse from Blizzard to cover up for the fact that all orcs have been green until Rexxar appeared (correct me if I'm wrong here), and instead of Rexxar (and Garrosh) being the oddball(s), they pronounce brown orcs as the original skin tone, and that they grow gradually greener due exposure to warlock magic, until approaching red skin tone and burning eyes. The latter of which I was convinced was a curse cast upon them for drinking the blood of Mannoroth. Alas, I don't really know, as I never cared for the lore, nor the campaigns.

Looking pretty nice, Ampharos, but don't let the Egyptian style overshadow the fact he's still a hero for the Undead faction of WC3, and still is a fairly frost-based hero. Egypt resembles deserts and pyramids, and as such isn't quite accurate. On the other hand, the typical lich in other lores is an Egyptian mummy of sorts, so I see where this is coming form.

The Beastmaster is no Orc. He's a Mok'nathal. Rexxar even dubs himself(incorrectly) as the 'last son of the Mok'nathal', I'd have expected you to at least play the Rexxar bonus campaign as it is entirely RPG-based.
Mok'nathal = Half-orc, half-ogre, as Alagremm already pointed out.

Level 15
Started today , going for a more Tribal chieftain.

Attachments

• Taurecn.JPG
    Taurecn.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 266

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You're not allowed to change the hero's actual race. Obviously, Orc Beastmasters would make sense, but you can't turn him into a Fel Orc, for example, as that would make little sense.

You can change the race, but not the faction. Humans, blood elves and dwarves are part of the Human faction (Alliance), etc. As neutral heroes (from the tavern) belong to no specific faction, and are more like mercenaries, it doesn't hurt the validity of these to change their race to anything within the WC3 lore, as long as the re-design fits the hero name, abilities and model. Of course, the Naga Sea Witch would require to be a naga, the Firelord ought to have something to do with fire, and the Pandaren Brewmaster must be a pandaren. There's nothing to say the Dark Ranger can't be human, for instance.

Yes, I know it's a bit confusing with the race/faction thing. It would perhaps make more sense if I called the factions Alliance, Horde, Sentinels and Scourge, but it would be inconsistent with how Blizzard has organized it.

The Beastmaster is no Orc. He's a Mok'nathal. Rexxar even dubs himself(incorrectly) as the 'last son of the Mok'nathal', I'd have expected you to at least play the Rexxar bonus campaign as it is entirely RPG-based.
Mok'nathal = Half-orc, half-ogre, as Alagremm already pointed out.
I assumed he was an orc simply because he looks like one (besides the brown skin tone) and uses the Grunt skin. I know he's Mok'nathal, but I thought that was simply an orc clan, similar to Dragonmaw and Blackrock. I did play most of the Rexxar campaign, yes. It's probably been 5 years since I did, though. Anyway, I'm sorry for assuming that, then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 49
it doesn't hurt the games lore to change the race of these to anything within the WC3 lore
It... Kind of does.
All neutral heroes have their own story\lore. The only one that could somehow be of a different race and still work with WC3's lore would be the Beastmater, and even that is rather vague.

There's nothing to say the Dark Ranger can't be human, for instance.
Dark Rangers are slain High Elven rangers who were raised as Banshees and then possessed their own corpses. That would make no sense for a Human. That is, besides the dark, black smoke and glowy red eyes they have on the model, and the "OH NOES I'M UNDEAD AND I HATE IT" quotes.

Level 26
so...my opinion about each neutral hero:

Beastmaster: could be one of the Orc races + Ogre
Seawitch: Naga, or maybe Nightelf as they were one of them many centuries in the past
Alchimist + Tinker: would have to stay in their race (Ogre/Goblin) or one of the Orc races
Pitlord: Demon or Undead
Dark Ranger: Demon/Undead or Human/Elf
Firelord: Elemental or Undead
Brewmaster: Pandaren or one of the Orc races

but here is the official battle.net page which explains their race http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/

Level 23
I would prefer if this contest would not - once again - become a "search for the most awesome loophole" and "we want to discuss the rules all over again for the 2000th times" thread.
This time, I would prefer to see more and good submissions instead.
And I guess the theme has the potential for it.

Level 25
Turning the Archmage into a female, now that's interesting. I'm still not sure what I want to do. I currently have three ideas:
-Treant Warden (Based on... Warden!)
-Dwarven Warrior/Engineer/Ehh... (Based on the Paladin)
-Kirin Tor Mage (Based on Bloodmage)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It... Kind of does.
All neutral heroes have their own story\lore. The only one that could somehow be of a different race and still work with WC3's lore would be the Beastmater, and even that is rather vague.

Dark Rangers are slain High Elven rangers who were raised as Banshees and then possessed their own corpses. That would make no sense for a Human. That is, besides the dark, black smoke and glowy red eyes they have on the model, and the "OH NOES I'M UNDEAD AND I HATE IT" quotes.

I meant that it won't hurt their validity as mercenary heroes as long as they belong to a race within the WC3 lore.

As for the storyline and quotes of a character - we can't take everything into consideration, because that leaves so little room for actual change. We'd end up with mere clothing designs for the most part.

chr2, by re-designing the Paladin your re-design still has to be a Paladin (as opposed to Warrior/Engineer). You can change the race, not the class. ;)

Level 23
And another WiP, I redid the breast plate, because it was not clean enough for my taste, also I added a chainmail instead of a TC part of the trouser, started working on the flag, have done the face, though some colour adjustments are needed. Need an idea for the sword yet, not sure wether my current idea is doable.
We will see

HeroBladeMaster2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.