• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest #18 - UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yeah, this is the cover. Time to do the top frame, buttons and dialog borders.

24fihdv.png

K submitting my concept possibly later on today if my lardass siblings will get of the comp >.< i hate not having a laptop to work with

EDIT: believe it or not, im starting, and possibly finishing today. Kthnx.

MOAREDIT: For those who don't believe me, and for WIP Purposes...
behold.

91480d1287861241-texturing-contest-18-ui-bloodelfui.jpg

Attachments

• BloodElfUI.jpg
    BloodElfUI.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3,110
Last edited:
Level 49
Dentothor, that looks awesome! But there's one thing I noticed. The eagle and many of the other details near it look very blurry and, well, kinda bad. I think it would be better if you could make it a lot more defined, sharp - if you see what I mean. Atm it looks too sketchy. If you're not doing that already, I suggest you first sketch it with a 'pencil', then go over it with the pen tool(try to be as accurate as you can) and finally color it(select only the shapes you want to color, and color inside them).

Dentothor, that looks awesome! But there's one thing I noticed. The eagle and many of the other details near it look very blurry and, well, kinda bad. I think it would be better if you could make it a lot more defined, sharp - if you see what I mean. Atm it looks too sketchy. If you're not doing that already, I suggest you first sketch it with a 'pencil', then go over it with the pen tool(try to be as accurate as you can) and finally color it(select only the shapes you want to color, and color inside them).

thats not really how i do it at all. i like my style. and i hadn't finished it yet. i was going to add details and gems and a bit of sparkle to the green gems in my next update.
So dun worry. It'll all be done :ogre_haosis:

Level 8
Well, since I've started on a futuristic project that revolves around robots and need a new UI - since none of the default War3 ones would be appropriate - I may as well participate in this contest.:grin:

Here's a WIP of what I've gotten done today:
attachment.php

NOTE:
I. I'm using the human UI only as a template. None of it will be visible when I'm finished. The finished product will not look like a mechanized human interface either, it will be totally original.

II. Everything is completely freehand except:

"Comlink" text and any other text that will appear on this interface uses an actual font rather than my shitty handwriting.

Some CnP elements of things I have already freehanded on the texture; the repeated grey panels by the portrait are an example of this.

Gaussian Blur filter used to enhance glow effects and cast shadows that I have already freehanded.

The grey metal texture is completely freehanded. No filters what-so-ever.

Attachments

• UI-preview1.jpg
    UI-preview1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 642
Level 8
Wow, looks worlds better than before. It's amazing what a little color and some more shading can do, eh?:grin:

Here's a preview of my UI; just the portrait piece though.
attachment.php

I've been varying up the grey tones in the metal just to make it a bit more interesting to look at. I've got a little bit of a start on the map area, but not anything worth showing.

Attachments

• UI-preview2.jpg
    UI-preview2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 554
Level 13
@chr2, SerenityInFire, they are both looking great, keep up the good work ;)

@Dentothor, heres some ideas for ya; in your last WIP the red is a little too dark, it should probably be brighter. And there also needs to be more red then yellow ;) In between the icon slots you could make some magicy fire or somthing.

Level 8
@Pyritie: God damn it.

@chr2: I honestly think your UI could use a little bit more 'pop,' as in adding varying elevations of surfaces to make it look a bit more 3D. It's a little plain looking right now IMHO, but what's really good about it is that rough wood texture - it almost looks like I could put my hand up to the monitor and it would feel like real wood. A big part of that is the rough edges along the border of your UI. It really creates a lot of visual interest. I really can't wait to see yours in game. Keep up the good work bro!

Last edited:
Level 49
Denth, that looks awesome so far. But there's one thing that bothers me - the details are really bland, really rough - they look kind of bad, especially compared to the awesome-looking golden frames. The gems have to be a lot more shiny, a lot more glowing and saturated, so that they look like precious gems. The bird and chains are just really rough and mostly blurry, it would be awesome if you could touch them up a bit.

@Dentothor, try to play with highlights a bit more. And tell me one thing, is that a bird or a phoenix, down there, up from the portrait ,,hole"?
A bird. I want to go into more depth, but it might end up looking bad. if i have time at the end, ill jazz it up a bit.

Denth, that looks awesome so far. But there's one thing that bothers me - the details are really bland, really rough - they look kind of bad, especially compared to the awesome-looking golden frames. The gems have to be a lot more shiny, a lot more glowing and saturated, so that they look like precious gems. The bird and chains are just really rough and mostly blurry, it would be awesome if you could touch them up a bit.

heard that. and will do.

Level 30
I see only gold, red and green in there, Denth. I know that those are Blood Elven colors and that those really fit their theme, but a lil' touch of other colors won't hurt, right?
For an example, it would look nice if that bird down there has sapphire blue eyes. Like one of those:
sapphire-1028-5.5mm-186-p.jpg
indicolite-1028-5.5mm-168-p.jpg
aquamarine-1028-5.5mm-170-p.jpg

Try spicing it up a bit (;

I see only gold, red and green in there, Denth. I know that those are Blood Elven colors and that those really fit their theme, but a lil' touch of other colors won't hurt, right?
For an example, it would look nice if that bird down there has sapphire blue eyes. Like one of those:
sapphire-1028-5.5mm-186-p.jpg
indicolite-1028-5.5mm-168-p.jpg
aquamarine-1028-5.5mm-170-p.jpg

Try spicing it up a bit (;

blue would ruin the colour scheme horribly >.<

Level 8
blue would ruin the colour scheme horribly >.<

I would have to agree here. What you could do is vary up the gold tones, maybe have some golds that have a slight tinge of orange while others are bit more coppery. You can have a little bit of color range to break up the monotony, while still keeping the trim monochromatic. You could also vary the green a little too. Monochromatic does not mean colorless, it means a color scheme with very little range. Achromatic is colorless.

Level 8
Here's some more of what I've got:
attachment.php

Once I finish everything on the bottom part of the UI, I'll go back and add some more variation to the repeated parts to make it a little more interesting.

Attachments

• UI-preview4.jpg
    UI-preview4.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 7,877
Level 38
Looks pretty sexy SerenityInFire.

The first thing I wanted to do when I found out that the mini-map is semi-transparent was to make the blue (or green in your UI's case) screen with the little bars through it to make it look more like the screens on Starcraft, but alas it doesn't fit with my theme at all.

Perhaps you could experiment with that for your UI though, it might yeild some interesting results (or be a dismal failure, either way I'm curious to see if it would work or not).

Status
Not open for further replies.