• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #4 - Improved Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
@Silly Lil Ant
Allready got Gyrocopters and Jetpackdudes as troops. And robots are out of the lore a bit, isn't it? Atleast for the high-tech models that exist on this site, which is mostly VERY high tech.

@The_Swamp_Warrior
I have been considering it, as I will make 2 melee units, and a leader for those with auras would create a new kind of gameplay.

I will consider this.

Level 13
MainBuilding(all stages)

mainsr.png

A WIP.

What it lacks:
Some alternate units for abilities
Ability functionality
All hero abilities
A Collect Coral system
Buffs
Triggers
EDIT: And items aren't finished

What it has:
Everything else
Credits

Changes from the original plan:
Made the Barnacle Turtle more Battering-rammish, thanks to TWIF
Water Hounds aren't anti-air, but I might make them in the future
Some minor model updates

Map triggers by Mephestrial.

@The dwarf and Elf guys:
I dunno if Pharaoh_ would allow it, because I sent him some VMs regarding if I could use the Blood Elves (which was my original plan), and he said no. But seeing as Dwarves and High Elves are more related to humans than Blood Elves, I am probably wrong.

Attachments

• GhosT's Naga WIP.1.w3x
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
Level 13
Well, the site rules clearly say that WoW rips aren't allowed, so that should be the end of that discussion as far as this thread is concerned. If you want to talk more about it open a new thread and talk about it there.

Just stop talking about that

Just what i said...

Level 12
GhostThruster, I tested your map and I discovered something very intriguing, your gold mine does not respawn after the Enchanted one is destroyed. All of the guys here (including me) that are basing their gold mines on the NEs' and Undeads' encounter this problem.

Might do an Alterac Human race, but first I need to know 'bout that three tier thing.

The tiers are mandatory unless you plan to replace them with a new equally balanced system.

If you plan to go with the current state of Alterac, use Syndicate.

Level 8
GhostThruster, I tested your map and I discovered something very intriguing, your gold mine does not respawn after the Enchanted one is destroyed. All of the guys here (including me) that are basing their gold mines on the NEs' and Undeads' encounter this problem.

The tiers are mandatory unless you plan to replace them with a new equally balanced system.

If you plan to go with the current state of Alterac, use Syndicate.

Then use a trigger
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit dies
  • Conditions
    • Unit-type of (Triggering Unit) Equal to Entangled Gold Mine
  • Actions
    • Set GoldLeft = (Current gold remaining in (Triggering Unit)
    • Set GoldPoint = (Position of (Triggering Unit)
    • Unit - Create 1 Gold Mine at GoldPoint facing Default Building Degrees
    • Unit - Set (Last Created Unit)'s gold remaining to GoldLeft
I am not sure if triggers can detect a gold mine's gold, but if they can't, you could allways do some kind of system that counts down each time gold is mined and set that into a variable...
Or, you could just make your gold mine Invulnerable, with the downside that only 1 can be controlled at a time.

Teirs arent mandatory.

IF you look at even the starcraft races, the terran and protoss have an efficient teir system that still takes the right amount of time to progress.

@GhosT
Along with what Lich Prince said, my turtles coulden't harvest wood from the coral beds (loaded) And the parasite murlocs won the battle against 3 hard AIs... with only them... and no wood. (2v1v1) so obviously they need some nerfing, i would suggest making them more expensive, nerfing their atk, and hp, but buffing their special. Make them weak to focusing.

Level 16
Here's my hastily made race, which I shall presently name the Air Humans. (inspired by the name Air Nike.)

This is my interpretation of what the human race in Lordaeron looks like, post scourge. Gone are the blood elves, leaving only the humans and dwarves to struggle in a hostile Lordaeron 2.0. Gone also are the blood elves' magic, leaving teamwork and technology to win the day. The Air Humans prefers to build small instead of large, and when faced with insurmountable enemies will prefer packing and moving instead of huddling behind majestic walls.

1. Flying
This race will favour mobility above all else, and as such I plan to feature a lot of air units. Although only ground units are available in the beginning, the focus onto air may take place further down the game.
attachment.php

2. "Solidarity"
The main game mechanic of my race. Solidarity epitomes a race of people who work hard for each other. Similar to aura(s) but not as static in the implementation, a unit with Solidarity will give its nearby friends a bonus in a particular aspect, for example a spell resistance bonus. Each unit-type comes with a different Solidarity skill, so build whatever that suits the occasion or your taste. A player who puts focus on Solidarity will be able to specifically boost a particular aspect where he excels in.

3. Recycle
As a constantly moving race, having Recycle will be able to recover back some resources that was previously spent on units/structures. Not all units have this ability, and values may fluctuate. A player who puts focus on Recycle will seldom find himself suddenly short on gold, and can even make a nifty profit on units if used correctly.

Although the race will specializes in air, the heroes will remain as ground units for the sake of balance and sticking to the original hero designs. Currently I have only planned two heroes.

A) Paladin
...or what's left of him. I plan to have the paladin will retain some skills from before like holy light (now named holy air.. or I'll think of something more suitable), but it will instead heal friendly air /damage enemy ground. His skills will envelop around the game mechanic of Solidarity.

B) Junk Collector
(I wanted this to be a steampunk-ish dwarf, but couldn't find appropriate models as of now) This fella likes to collect trash and create trash. His game will focus of the mechanic of Recycle.
attachment.php

I've just started on my race, and it will probably just be a mini one. Two heroes for now, maybe three max. Good luck you guys :D

Attachments

• 2idiots.jpg
    2idiots.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 191
  • mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 215
@Lich Prince: Thanks for the heads up :)

@TWIF: I haven't implemented Lumber yet. The map was supposed to be 'empty'. Anyways, in the final version, the Turtles won't be loaded.
Water Hounds cost 20 Lumber, but I'll keep changing (I took your advice partially on the Turtles ;]).

@Wraithling: Cool! Though I don't understand what Solidarity means. Do you mean that your race will be support-based?

GhosT's Naga

Lore:
The Naga you saw with Lady Vashj are but a small pocket of the real army.
Queen Azshara has lain dormant for many years, but with the races at its weakest, she has chosen to strike.
The majestic sea-queen sent out her most deadly warriors; some that are familiar to those who have witnessed the Naga's awesome power and some that have never been seen before. The Humans are all but destroyed; their numbers continually lessen. The Orcs have abandoned Lordearon, with only a few pockets remaining. The Undead have crumbled, constantly under siege from the Forsaken, and the Night Elves are busy healing their forests again.
Resistance isn't futile, it's impossible.
The forces of the Naga:
Old -
Summoners have been seen with Illidan at Dalaran before. However, these new Summoners are much more adept at erecting the structures for the Naga, and also are the most powerful workers of all the races.
Couatls remained due to their highly useful anti-magical abilities. However, these Couatls have been highly trained by greatest Naga sea-tamers. Their magic is far greater than the previous ones.
Myrmidons have been and always will be the elite guards of the Naga army. Their skills are unmatched in combat. These Myrmidons are far more deadly, having been trained by the even greater Royal Guards.
Reavers were once Mur'gul cannon fodder. However, with the teachings of the Naga magiks, they have evolved into the ultimate spellcaster for the Mur'gul race.
New -
Barnacle Turtles have recently surfaced to provide the Naga land-armies with a fresh supply of lumber. Not only are they adept at collecting the coral off Coral Beds, but they also serve as excellent anti-building tanks and transports.
Basilisks are an altered race of the Hydras, they have been enchanted by Azshara's gifted mages. They now have an innate ability to be able to permanently split into 3 smaller Mantalisks.
Ethereals replaced Sirens, as their Ether-shifting magics proved far more useful. They are adept at warping the corporeal and ethereal worlds, and are superior to Naga Sirens.
Infectors are a relatively new species. Somehow, the mutagen that turned Murlocs into Mur'guls also created another race, secret to land-dwellers before the Naga launched their surface attack.
Sea Dragons were once normal Dragons, fighting during the Sundering. They have been put to use to rival the other aerial units, such as the fierce twin-headed Chimearas and deadily Frost Wyrms.
Tortoises were a natural replacement for Dragon Turtles. Their ability to manuevre quicker on land than most other turtles made them an instant choice to be include in the arsenal of Naga forces.
Water Hounds are far more ferocious than their Snap Dragon cousins. They are extremely fast, breed very quickly, and are able to deal reasonable amounts of damage, making them perfect cannon fodder.
Heroes -
Tidal Lords lead entire armies of Naga, and usually rush headfirst into the thick of battles. This made them a natural selection to lead the now-surfacing forces of the Naga.
Watchers are the highest protectors of Queen Azshara, being higher in rank than every Naga warrior, other than the Queen herself. They prefer to lead battles in a more tactical way.
Dreamweavers, though very frail, have unfathomable powers. They can cause the minds of their enemies to rot and burn, and are the most cunning and malicious of all the Naga forces.
Frost Guards were once Naga Royal Guards. However, through rigorous training, they have obtained the power to control ice. They serve as excellent support and enemy encumberers.

Race:
Overview:
The Naga excel at 'counter-defense'. This is not to be confused with aggression(like the Orcs). They are generally good at nearly all types of assault tactics, such as hit-n-run (Water Hounds, Tortoises), army spawning (Infectors, Basilisks), nuking (Basilisks again, Sea Dragons), tanking (Barnacle Turtles, Myrmidons) and enemy buffing (About of all of them!). Their weakness is hard to pinpoint, as they are more like offensively-focused Humans, but I would say it is their lumber system.
Mechanics:
a) Coral Beds - The Naga gain Lumber by assigning up to 3 Barnacle Turtles to a single Coral Bed, which generates 1 lumber per second for each 'attached' Barnacle Turtle.
The pros: fast, constant lumber gathering. Plus, since the Turtle is fairly strong, you don't have to worry about your workers being slaughtered by a level 2 Chain Lightning!
The cons: Barnacle Turtles cost 3 food, so you'll be sacrificing 9 food for a gather rate of 3 lumber/second. They also move slowly, and are immobilised when gathering.
b) Barnacle Turtles - As well as the aforementioned, Barnacle Turtles are one of the most crucial units in the Naga aresenal;
they gather lumber, they can demolish a building in seconds, they can clear forests (with the Consume Tree ability shared with the Tortoies), they can tank alot of damage, and they can transport units.
Use them wisely.
c) Buffing - The Naga are the masters of buffing (hence their 'counter-defense' tactics). Nearly all their units can inflict some kind of hindrance or encumbrance to the enemy forces, the greatest examples being Infectors and Reavers. This is a keypoint in mastering the Naga race.
If you think that their buffs only affect the enemy, you're wrong.
The Ethereal can use many spells to aid your units; Water Mark, which is basically a weaker auto-cast Rejuvenation. This makes her a great healer, though not as good as priests.
Ether Shift, which causes units in a target area to be turned Ethereal whilst they remain in the vicinity. This can save units as well as hinder them.
And Typhoon, which summons a large Typhoon at a point, and knocks back enemies and cleanses allies.

Starting the triggers now.

EDIT: Lich Prince, use this:
  • Enchanted Mines
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Resource quantity contained in (Triggering unit)) Not equal to 0
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Enchanted Mine
    • Actions
      • Set temp_point = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of temp_point) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Turn collision for (Picked unit) Off
      • Unit - Create 1 Gold Mine for Neutral Passive at temp_point facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Move (Last created unit) instantly to temp_point
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of temp_point) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Turn collision for (Picked unit) On
      • Neutral Building - Set (Last created unit) to (Resource quantity contained in (Triggering unit)) gold
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_temp_point)

Last edited:
To make things right, you are not supposed to follow the exact melee lines that are by default suggested in the Warcraft 3. Of course, in the core, they will be a melee map addition, but you are free to add elements of other gameplay styles, so as to enhance the gaming output of the race. For example a contestant might want to add extended inventory, which most likely refers to RPG's, but adding a 3rd-person camera system is no longer a melee gaming style.

It's up to you to find the "fine line" as to what you can improve in the gameplay; it mustn't be complicated nor bland, so.. improvise! You will be judged for that whatsoever.

I have previously stated that you are supposed to copy-paste only the conceptual aspect of the race you are about to edit. You are not supposed to strictly follow the numerical aspects of it; you are not obliged to have 4 heroes, you can even have 1 hero, it's up to you, but, here comes the but, are you sure that by having one hero, the gameplay would introduce an exciting style of playing?

So, feel free to have an aspect/an opinion on balance issues; of course balance will be judged, I never said it wouldn't, but I will judge the balance, up to the overall look of the race itself, not vs. the default races.

Level 38
If you implement sudo-heroes like that you might want to set up some triggers to moderate experience gain, as they will share experience with any primary heroes and thus hamper their experience gain rates. Also, I'm pretty sure you can still revive them at altars even with all the snazzy heroic displays disabled (icon, min-map display, death message, etc.), so you might need to fix that with triggers to. And possibly spawn a dummy corpse unit upon death, or add something into their lore as to why corpse-targeting abilities are ineffective against such units.

For ways of circumventing using the hero template but still offering some of the hero bonuses, I've seen some tower defense games were the towers grow in power with more kills similar to a hero leveling up (I think they created some way to keep track of the tower kills when it entered the map, upgraded a display ability at regular intervals and gave it hidden item abilities like +damage, though you could go for +mana, health, armor, regeneration, magic resistance, and a lot of other item-exclusive bonuses).

The hero inventory ability will allow regular units to use items to, though if they pick up anything that modifies strength, agility, or intelligence, it will cause the game to crash. So you'd probably want to stop them from picking up said offending items.

@ Vermillion Edict: I'd say learned abilities are what define the heroes and their functionality, while standard units require upgrades to unlock more potent abilities. If you gave a sudo-hero unit abilities as they get stronger I'd avoid using the hero skill menu and just use triggers to give it to them upon leveling up, and I'd see them more as a standard unit.

My plan was more or less to gave them gain a Kill Count rank.

A basic Footman with this system would enjoy four upgrades of 25 hitpoints, .33 hitpoint regeneration, +10 movespeed, +2 damage and a better defend ability for every 'level'. A higher tier unit would only enjoy three or simply one upgrade, though the bonuses would be slightly stronger to compensate.

Aswell, higher tiers take longer to reach, as the upgrade requires research first.

On that note aswell, the higher tier flying unit I've got has no mana, but two abilities which are unlocked through research. Otherwise, their hitpoints and damage count are rather insubstantial at first.

EDIT:
Probably the best way to do this would be to use Critical Strike-esque splats to show how many kills have been made or disable exp gain and reward killing units with custom exp tomes.

As far as their inventories go, these secondary heroes will be the only units with 6-slot Unit inventories. They also need their own research to enable extra abilities.

I am not against semi-heroic units, in fact I applaud the idea, but the icon on the left side of the screen, that represents them, should stay there. See, semi-heroic units would be more powerful than common units, so, the player would focus on their actions and he would try to keep them alive. The icon isn't only a decorative element, it also precedes in functional aspects (easy and flexible selection of the units you want to focus on, etc.).

So yeah, I can see some innovation already, keep it up guys ;]

Level 16
And I'm quite interested to know how the semi-heroic idea turns out. It is not without its merits.

@Pharaoh_: Why are there so many custom items in the downloaded template? I'm pretty sure I don't want to make a dota map. Are those stuff supposed to be left untouched or something?

@GhostThruster: Thanks :) And my solidarity mechanic works around units giving each other a little bonus, so I guess in a way they can be called support-based.

If he also plans to have his points doomed in the gameplay judging aspect, then that's an option to follow. :p

By the way, in order to avoid assumptions as to what you plan, Vermillion Edict, implementing both heroes and semi-heroes, the latter ones don't have to get an icon represenation on the screen, but this suggestion applies on this case only.

@Wraithling, I didn't check any custom items, I just extracted the map straight from the mpq, so this is not a work of mine. They are Blizzard-created. No, the map has to be melee and you are free to add other gamestyles' elements in your gameplay blueprint.

Level 16
Pharaoh: Aiks, my bad. I just re-downloaded the template and found no such items. I must have accidentally imported some old items :/

TWIF: Hey, why don't you join in too? Creating a race is much more fun than say, judging them. And you seem very interested the contest despite earlier saying the theme sucked or something like that. :p

Level 12
The hero inventory ability will allow regular units to use items to, though if they pick up anything that modifies strength, agility, or intelligence, it will cause the game to crash. So you'd probably want to stop them from picking up said offending items.

Only tomes will make the game crash. If the sub-hero picks up a stats modifying non-consumable item the game will not crash and the item will be noneffective.

TWIF, join us, jooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn usss!

Anyway, update:

race2l.png

race1o.png

race3.png

race4.png

Old Horde: (Incomplete)
Units:
-Peon: This may look like the normal game peon, but the only similarity is that they are both able to build. The Old Horde Peon only gathers gold through excavating and using Gold Mines. They are NOT able to gather lumber.
-Ogre Slave: Two-headed Ogres who serve as basic ranged warriors and lumber harvesters for the Orcs.
-Axemaster (Agility Hero): Cunning Hero, adept at ravaging through enemy groups as he swiftly slays unit by unit using his axe. Can learn Axestorm, Rage, Onslaught Aura and Fatal Strike.
-Grunt: No Orcish is complete without these classic brutish warriors.
-War Station: Long-range Siege Weapon, has the ability to load Grunts for extra speed.

Buildings:
-Great Hall: Similar the original one; Trains Peons and contains some unit upgrades.
-Excavated Gold Mine: Peons gather gold through this building. A Gold Mine must be excavated by a Peon before use.
-Barracks: Trains basic warriors for the Old Horde. Additionally, Attack and Defense Upgrades for the Orcish army are researched here.
-Altar of Flames: Trains Heroes, revives slain ones.
-Lumber Mill: Serves as a drop-off point for harvested lumber, contains some upgrades and trains War Stations.
-Burrow: Provides food, Peons can still garrison inside to attack enemy units.
-Scout --> Bomb/Spear Tower: Scout Towers cannot attack but are able to be upgraded into either Bomb Towers (Heavy) or Spear Towers (Fast n' Sweet).

Other Info:
- I will remove the sfx/animation/doodad alterations before submitting the final thing, so no smartass comments about them please.

Status
Not open for further replies.