• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tapatalk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Sorry if this has been asked already but is there any chance of an install on Hive?
It's an application for iphones/blackberries/androids and google chrome (pm alert), it's free for the site and a small fee for the users to buy on their respective app store (but allows access to any forum with tapatalk).

It just allows ease of access\posting on the above mobile devices without loading the site proper/images and all.

What do you think?

Level 20
Please research into the program before you go off on a tangent.
Hive can install it for free. Those with smartphones MAY buy it if they so CHOOSE to, it does not prevent browser access it just gives those with that app a much quicker and less data intensive method of browsing and posting on Hive's Forums (AND any other tapatalk activated forums).

I honestly can't see any harm in giving people the option? I use tapatalk for other forums, it'd be great if I could take advantage of it on Hive too.

Um, grey is totally right.

Installing Tapatalk onto the Hive would be really convenient for people with smartphones. Offgraphic's arguments are also totally incorrect, because hive can install it for free as grey said, and use is totally optional.

I've no idea why someone would complain about it in that context. Issues with the way hive operates is a totally different thing.

The problem is on the user side, not on the server side.
Sure, Hive can install it for free, but each invidual user via' Apple's product would
need to pay for Tapatalk, and that is already too much asked. And in the possible
scenario, they would also need to pay for the application in Tapatalk. That does $2
per user.

And I am not talking only about Apple's customers, this could affect other company
smartphones, and most likely would. Choosing is also hardly a choice when it comes
to commercial phones. Either your friends/your phone company would eventually force
you to use a non-free application to view a free site such as this, which uses the
provided server installation free application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say, Tapatalk gets installed on Hive; There's probably around 10000 users daily
visiting the site. That would mean Phone Internet Cost + Tapatalk Phone Installation Fees
+ Possible Restrictive Fees

Easily over $10000 revenue for the application provider/phone service provider. Just think
that and see if it's that good afterall. Hive most likely would gain nothing from this.

NOTE: This is just an examble

Level 25
I don't really see how if the HIVE installs this, it automatically forces every user with an iphone to buy the program?

But then again, should HIVE do this for every app that will come out, where do you set the line for which apps are necessary and which ones are not?

Level 20
It's not hard to install at all and it is.. As far as I'm aware the most popular choice for this type of application and hive doesn't currently have ANY form of mobile friendly system, so whether it's tapatalk or something else is a fair debate - but I think many of us would appreciate one or another :)

Level 19
The problem is on the user side, not on the server side.
Sure, Hive can install it for free, but each invidual user via' Apple's product would
need to pay for Tapatalk, and that is already too much asked. And in the possible
scenario, they would also need to pay for the application in Tapatalk. That does $2
per user.

And I am not talking only about Apple's customers, this could affect other company
smartphones, and most likely would. Choosing is also hardly a choice when it comes
to commercial phones. Either your friends/your phone company would eventually force
you to use a non-free application to view a free site such as this, which uses the
provided server installation free application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say, Tapatalk gets installed on Hive; There's probably around 10000 users daily
visiting the site. That would mean Phone Internet Cost + Tapatalk Phone Installation Fees
+ Possible Restrictive Fees

Easily over $10000 revenue for the application provider/phone service provider. Just think
that and see if it's that good afterall. Hive most likely would gain nothing from this.

NOTE: This is just an examble

"Hive most likely would gain nothing from this" Totally false, since installation is free it allows more users with worse internet connections to use the Hive.

"Easily over $10000 revenue for the application provider/phone service provider. Just think" Still totally incorrect... People using talkatap would pay NOTHING, people who dont use talkatap and would ONLY use it for hive would pay $2... you would need 5000 people installing talkatap and only using it for hive to get them $10000. Also, again, who cares?!?!? It probably saves the users MORE money anyway, not going over their data plans (as some above suggested) and the Hive uses a ton of data to load, use, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.