• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Support for Dota 2 Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
No offense but....what's the point in that?

I mean it would have high standards to modding especially when it comes to modelling and such. Others may disapprove of my post but just a few would ACTUALLY bother to mod DotA 2 :/

For 1, it has a huge player base. Let's face it, the warcraft 3 modding community has been dying, starcraft 2 modding was doa.
2. Warcraft 3 engine is limited, and with the tools being made available by Valve, the complexity and diversity of maps is going to be exponentially greater.

In my opinion, the second coming of Warcraft 3 maps has begun.

Level 22
Depends on how flexible Dota 2's modding capabilities are. Maybe in the future, if people can be sure that they can do as much (or more) custom games as wc3 maps can give.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

+1, let's move forward and call hive :
Warcraft 3 Modding Community --> Video Game Modding Community

:D

Level 29
As i had already stated somewhere else, completely depends if this flexibility is wide-stretched enough so you can take the game and totally convert into a pure RTS that doesnt have anything to do with Dota's D, instead producing 150 different subvariations of Dota.

TL;DR: Depends on how deep one need to hack into code to get some systems working, as its been on Wc3.
Fe. rather basic ones: Can you define custom magic dmg types, have different resources per player-race, code a custom inventory system, make any spell-ability from scratch up without having to warp an existing one ? IDK anything about those yet so rather let somebody else do all the the painful headtoss-into-wall pioneering first.

If you're going to promote a game, for modding, you should provide the /information about the tools/. Here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dota_2_Workshop_Tools/Addon_Overview
Dota 2 (Hammer (Source)) has a VASTLY greater modding capability as compared to anything Blizzard has ever created.

Now, this isn't going without saying that it's also /a whole lot more complicated, and requires learning all the tools, which might take from months to years./

Rui

Rui

Level 41
As i had already stated somewhere else, completely depends if this flexibility is wide-stretched enough so you can take the game and totally convert into a pure RTS that doesnt have anything to do with Dota's D, instead producing 150 different subvariations of Dota.

TL;DR: Depends on how deep one need to hack into code to get some systems working, as its been on Wc3.
Fe. rather basic ones: Can you define custom magic dmg types, have different resources per player-race, code a custom inventory system, make any spell-ability from scratch up without having to warp an existing one ? IDK anything about those yet so rather let somebody else do all the the painful headtoss-into-wall pioneering first.
Agreed. As for the custom magic types, I'm sure you can, if they allow you to modify it: they've already got different magic types such as Composite, Pure, HP Removal and so, besides the regular Physical and Magical.

I say yes to the initiative, but the Hive has to do better than create 1 forum for it.
In close line with what Cihparg wrote, tutorials and help threads have always been a source of attraction for new users: I'd never have visited The Helper if it wasn't for their nice tutorials page, for example.

Level 1
I think it's good idea, but how about mods I mean. There are alot of mods in DotA 2(like all item mod) instead of tool?

If you meant for Wc3, there are alot of DotA 2 mods(best is made by Rena!ssanse) too! Don't need that tool :p

He's talking about custom maps on Dota 2, Valve just launched an alpha release to make it. (Also, this new tool is using Source Engine 2 ! that is yet to be released by valve)

Reactions: Rui

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Guys other says.. Hive is a Warcraft Modding Community.. but the big truth is..

Blizzard doesn't even care on this site!

so

Let's try other game modding!

wait.. what? Blizzard doesn't care about this site, yeah that might be true. But I don't see any logic in pointing that out.

Also, we apparently support SC2 modding.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

We'd need a new mod for the dota section, that's right..

Someone who actually has experience in the modding tools of dota.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
What i mean is... why we should stick to BLIZZARD MODDING only when Blizzard doesn't even care.. if we add new modding we should not stop it..

Thank you, for clarifying yourself, it makes a little more sense now.

I get where you are coming from one this, however you can't just add 50 different sections for 50 different games and then you have a community with 5 active members per section. Enough people needs to show interest, I think that's all that's needed. This is, a Warcraft 3 modding site, more or less (at least blizzard games only at the moment), however if we don't evolve the contents of the site, it will die so holding onto games just because of plain principles is just stupid.

The idea is excellent if the DotA2 tool proves to be capable of more than the War3 Editor.

I will never play DotA2 but I could very well use a powerful editor from the game.
My only concern is how complex it is. If it's SC2 editor all over again then we have seen what is going to happen.

The tool has to be easy to learn but hard to master. That's one of the reasons the War3 editor is so good, and why the game has survived for so many years.

Easy to learn, hard to master - Depth vs complexity

"As an example, chess is not particularly complex, but it has incredible depth. Anyone can pick up the basics of chess in an hour, but experts can practice for lifetimes and still find new strategies and avenues to explore." <- my point exactly.

Oh and I just noticed DotA 2 is free. I better have a look at it when I get the time.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

But DotA 2 require steam, its account and need to update if released
Steam is a horrifying place for your wallet. During the summer sales I usually buy random stuff cause theyre so cheap and play most of them for 40 minutes at maximum. E.g. I heard Terraria is good and it happened to be at sale. Well.. I bought it for roughly 5 euros. I played it for 40 minutes and lost interest to it. And now I'm one of the many Terraria haters lol...

Maybe some connectivity between steam and hive wouldn't hurt? How abour THW steam group?

Level 19
I think it would be cool, but I wont have the chance to mess around with it soon.
Right now, you need 64bit and DirectX11 support, and I dont have either.

Also, Ive been writting this comment for literally 2 hours. My internet ran out, had to go pay it, ended up setting up my new router.
Lawl.

Level 2
The official Dota 2 blog: Dota 2 Blog Workshop Tools

The guide on how to download the tools (you need to have steam account and Dota 2 installed so that you can download the tools): Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha Released

YouTube: Testing out Hammer 2014 (Dota 2 Authoring Tools)

I play Dota for 7 years now and still playing it. Some asked if it's like hard like the SC2 editor which is not and has far more futures with the Source 2 engine. When you download the tools the game it's self is porting in Source 2 but both are in alpha stage. The Dota 2 Map Editor is the best and no one can surpass it not even Blizzard them selves. It contains so many new things. On Dota 2 reddit it was asked if this was possible to make in the editor (which is possible): Will this be possible with the new mod tools

Been looking at it, but it's very limiting in macroscale. The scripting API si completely designined for MOBA only maps.

I think it's biggest up is the terrain editor and the material settings which are the only thing SC2 editor can't match. However, the Data editor looks more like SC1's data editor, it's kinda simple unless you do know a good set of scripting which is not the common case. In my personal opinion, people are just hyped because of the first impression but the tool is really lacking on what is important for modding from a blizzmodder perspective, which is to use the tools for making any kind of game.

The tool also relies more on 3d graphics knowledge which is a downside for a guy who just wants touse assets and manipulate them at ease.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

@BlinkBoy maybe it's not meant for general modding purposes, but solely for MOBAs? I dunno ..

+1, I think Dota 2's editor is the best candidate to transition to as Warcraft 3 fades away.
Well if what Blinky said is true that it's for moba modding, this can't happen sadly :s

Still moba modding isn't bad is it :p

Level 12
I could not agree more with some of the opinions. Tutorials and just some people who know their shit really attracts new users.

If it takes of this might be the decision to save the hive someday. Imagine earning money from making maps, even if its just a little bit. MONEY!! Never would my old eyes have dreamed such a thing.

To draw new completely unrelated users the hive sections/structure would have to clean up a bit though. The style is good I think, looks nice cartoony (thehelper looks so bad nowadays = )). Too many confusing subsections for new users though, especially all the forum projects..

Status
Not open for further replies.