• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[StarCraft II] Optimizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many of you may know, the beta editor has been released!

I'm not sure about the rest of you guys who got your editor, but the first thing I did was start creating maps. In fact I think it was about 15 minutes after the patch release when I opened the editor for the first time.

As some may realize, we need an optimzer. I tried the WC3 Otimizer just for the lulz (obviously no effect) and thus we need one for StarCraft II. I would personally like to start pumping out maps ASAP, but I don't want to unless they've been optimized.

I'm not exactly sure how long until someone decides to make one. Hell I think it took WC3 a year before someone stepped up and created one for fellow map makers.

I'm hoping this is the optimizer is publicly accessible before the game actually released. I want my maps out there for custom game lovers across the globe to hit SC2 with an immense new custom map experience.

Anyways, if someone could PM me with an optimizer link or maybe an update as to whether they actually plan on making one, so I know that one is at least coming, that would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Edit: Before you start nerdraging; yes I googled it. So far I cannot find any optimizers made to date (obviously, the editor game out yesterday)

Level 6
Good thing you read up on whats to come from Blizzard.

Redmarine said:
The SC2 gameplay panel gave more info on the editor:

- New water tools. No longer tied to cliff level. Can be animated, like raising/lowering.
- Lighting editor - Used to create the dark red glowing effect on the lava planet when lava rises.
- Multiple cliff types can be connected together.
- Alpha texture blending. No more tiles, you can paint multiple textures then blend them together.
- Roads - Paint roads by click-n-dragging.
- Terrain foliage - Doodads are created automatically on top of certain textures, like grass and bushes on grass textures.
- Physics mainly used visually, but can be used for damage/blocking stuff in mods.
- Libraries. Makes it so multiple people can work on the same map at the same time.
- No included model editor, you still need 3DStudio or similar.
- Map protection and other features to prevent map stealing etc...
- Customizable UI, you can add buttons, dialogs, images as desired.
- Banks - Can save data in maps which is stored locally on your system (can be used for savegames, so you simply load your progress the next time the map is played). In multiplayer you can retrieve the bank from any player (through triggers).
- Editor available in beta (probably not from day 1)
- Easy to make interesting mods using the data editor, mod examples:

Level 6
Saving%20-%20Optimize.PNG

I thought it did that by itself juding by this option.

Either way, he put the question as if someone would steal he's maps.

Level 3
If you look in the overview manager (F12) it looks something like this:
edit_preview.php

As you can see it has a "size" and a "Size (Compressed)" so maybe it does it automatically /shrug.

Status
Not open for further replies.