• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Spells that can target Trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Continuing to work from my previous thread: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/build-structure-trees-location-207534/

I am now looking for spells that can directly target trees.

Obviously theres Eat Tree and War Club (the NE giant skill), but are there any other skills that can do that?

I dont need the actual spell to effect the tree. I just need it to be able to target trees to activate the trigger from my last thread.

Theres so many spells so I just have no clue where to start.

I know I cant use 'harvest' because that forcefully puts the skill in the characters main spell bar where as I need to have it in a spell book.

Does anyone know any others off the top of their minds. Or atleast have any suggestions of some that MAY be able to target trees? I know theres the NE glaive thrower that can target trees... but I dont recall if thats its base attack of if its a castable ability.

Any help is greatly appreciated. With this last thing *crossing fingers* I can actually start working on the content of my Monsters-like TD.

P.S. You can't just set any spell to be able to affect trees. When you click on the tree it does nothing and tells you you must target a tree.

Level 2
Collected spells list

Vorpal Blades is a passive so it doesn't work.

Force of Nature is an aoe and thus destroys the tree(s) but doesnt allow the trigger to create the building. Also it uses an AOE ring and is hard to make able to only target 1 tree while also being visible.

Finger of Death doesnt target.

Eat Tree works.

War Club works.

Last edited:
Level 13
I didn't read the whole other thread, but how about you just use channel, set it to 'point target', and, using the 'begins casting an bility' event (or maybe 'is issued an order'), check if there is a tree at the target point (pick destructibles within range)?
If not you just order stop, if yes you remove the tree and place the building (or whatever you wanna do)

Level 2
I didn't read the whole other thread, but how about you just use channel, set it to 'point target', and, using the 'begins casting an bility' event (or maybe 'is issued an order'), check if there is a tree at the target point (pick destructibles within range)?
If not you just order stop, if yes you remove the tree and place the building (or whatever you wanna do)

Channel as in a channelling spell?

Level 11
Channel as in a channelling spell?

There's an ability called Channel which is actually just a dummy ability that does nothing, but can have most of its attributes altered, such as targets, spell type (such as area targeted, no target, unit targeted), etc.

I don't think Channel will work, though. I believe abilities that target trees are hard coded to be able to click on non-selectable destructible targets. Trying to make any other ability target a tree is like trying to make Chain Lightning stun.

You can make ANY ability castable on a tree if you set its targets allowed to "Tree", but the tree has to be selectable or you won't be able to target it. To do this you need to set "Art - Selectable in game" to True in the object editor.

Level 2
There's an ability called Channel which is actually just a dummy ability that does nothing, but can have most of its attributes altered, such as targets, spell type (such as area targeted, no target, unit targeted), etc.

I don't think Channel will work, though. I believe abilities that target trees are hard coded to be able to click on non-selectable destructible targets. Trying to make any other ability target a tree is like trying to make Chain Lightning stun.

You can make ANY ability castable on a tree if you set its targets allowed to "Tree", but the tree has to be selectable or you won't be able to target it. To do this you need to set "Art - Selectable in game" to True in the object editor.

Fantastic! You continue to help me totally completely solve this map design. Made arial shackles take down a tree and build a tower in its location. Now its just a matter of making the rest of the towers, making all the unit waves, balancing and finally QA!

Status
Not open for further replies.