• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spell Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooookay. A little bird once told me that it's better to have more custom spells instead of slightly changed in-game ones.

So here's the spell list. Things in white are spells I still need suggestions for.

• Pyritie (main character) [ranged]
    • Lightning Bolt - Deals damage to the target unit, stuns them for a few seconds, then slows their attack speed. ~ UchihaSasuke.gr
    • Polarize - Pyritie's attacks bounce for the next 5 seconds. [Autocast ability] [Cooldown of 15ish seconds] ~ Preskooldude
    • Plasma Storm - While channelling, the spell releases waves of plasma balls. These balls will either bounce or split when they hit an enemy, causing damage in the process. (from a wc3c spell competition)
    • Pyritie has lots of other spells in his artifact, all of which I'm fine with.
  • Scorch (short tempered one) [ranged]
    • Blizzard - Everyone that stands in the center area of the blizzard will be dealt damage and stunned for 0.5 seconds, while the other units in the corners of the blizzards area is dealt less damage and slowed. ~ Mechmap
    • Flash Fire - Conjures a bolt of fire on a target unit, dealing damage and then burning the target over time. There is a 75% chance that when the damage over time is ended the bolt of fire will jump to another unit within 350 range taking the damage over time to the other unit. It will continue like this until the jump fails. Maximum of 5 jumps. ~ Mechmap
    • Mana Tide - Kinda like mana burn but it restores health instead, can only be casted on allies.
    • Mana Drain - Because Scorch is a mana whore. Can also be used on allies, but drains their mana [instead of restoring it]
    • Elemental Mastery - Summons an elemental based on how complete the artifact is.
  • Lirch (the hyperactive kid) [melee]
    • Dirt bomb - throws a clump of dirt at the target location, temporarily blinding all units.
    • Panic - runs faster
    • Swipe - basically drunken brawler, I needed a good passive.
    • Charge - Headbutts everyone out of his way and runs to the target point.
    • Sprint - Lirch runs so fast to the target point that he turns invisible and knocks back enemy units in the way. He also leaves behind a flaming trail which burns enemy units for a small DoT. (ultimate)
  • Firch (the evil one) [ranged]
    • Mind Mastery (aura) - Decreases the armor of nearby enemy units but also increasing the damage. Can be reversed to a damage decreasing aura with a armor bonus effect. ~ Mechmap
    • Drain Soul - drains the target units' health and mana
    • Black Hole - The hero tears a hole in the fabric of space, creating a black hole that sucks enemy units within a X AOE radius. Enemy units who stray too near and get within Y units near the black hole will get sucked in. After Z seconds, the black hole collapses and explodes, dealing XX damage in a YY AOE radius and knocking them backwards. Units sucked in the hole will also get damaged and be thrown out of the void it was sucked into.
    • Fear - AoE (no damage) where enemy units run away from firch in fear for X seconds
    • Time stop - stops time for 12 seconds, firch's team can still move about while all other units are paused [animations paused too and stuff, really awesome]
  • Pirch (a healbot) [ranged]
    • Healing Light - Heals target unit for X, also heals nearby allies over time, but if healed unit is killed then enemies get healed for Y
    • Aura of Energy - +mana regen aura, and whenever Pirch lands the killing blow on an enemy, nearby allies gain that unit's mana (shared) ~ Mechmap
    • Mana Threads - see wc3c's mana burn themed spell contest for it - basically lays down "threads" on the ground that burn mana, and if (when laying down a thread) it intersects with another, then the mana burn effect continues along all of the threads... it's kinda hard to explain
    • Nightmare - sleep + added DoT at the end
    • Hypnotize - basically a mass temporary charm
  • Coalch (the king who has too much self esteem) [melee]
    • Courage Aura - Coalch soldiers follow him blindly in battle and don't want to see their king die. If Coalch has lots of hp left, his allies will fight as usual. If he has a little hp left, his allies will fight much better, increasing their damage and armor. ~ Mechmap
    • Stomp - War stomp with added knockback
    • Chain Throw
    • Need idea for one more basic spell
    • Need an ultimate (at the moment just vengeance changed to different models)

Oh, and did I mention there'd be rep?! Yes, post a good suggestion and I'll rep you, just like in raging's rune ideas thread!

Last edited:
Pyritie's Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning are not good.As a main character he should have all the abilities custom.

-Lightning Within:
Pyritie's attack cause lightning to his enemies.The target of his attack,gets -armor penalty and little slow on his Attack Speed.(Can be Autocast)

-ThunderPyritie creates a massive destruction in an area around him.He deals damage to units within 450 range from him and slows them.(maybe Ulti)

Level 12
Scorch

Blizzard - Everyone that stands in the center area of the blizzard will be dealt damage and stunned for 0.5 seconds, while the other units in the corners of the blizzards area is dealt less damage and slowed.

This is mainly just an improvment of the blizzard to make it more interesting.

Breath of Fire - Conjures a bolt of fire on a target unit, dealing damage and then burning the target over time. There is a 75% chance that when the damage over time is ended the bolt of fire will jump to another unit within 350 range taking the damage over time to the other unit. It will continue like this untill the jump fails. Maximum of 5 jumps.

A little confusing i think it is, if you don't understand, ask me.

Lirch

Speed Charge - Lirch charges at his enemies in a line, if the first enemy unit he hits is 300 range away, he will knockback the unit, dealing damage and stunning it. The other enemy units will only be knockbacked. The higher speed Lirch does Speed Charge in, the higher damage he will deal. So if he got 300 movement speed and first level is 1 damage x 25.00% of his speed. next will be 1 damage x 65.00% of his speed and last one will be 1 damage x 100.00% of his speed.

A basic improvement of the charge ability but it may be a little hard to make maybe.

Firch

Evil Aura - Decreases the armor of nearby enemy units but also increasing the damage. Can be reversed to a damage decreasing aura with a armor bonus effect.

If you think this aura is good you might want to change the name of it.

Pirch

Aura of Energy - Pirch uses pure mana to attack her enemies. Each attack increases the units attack damage by 2. When the units she has attacked dies, it will spread the mana back to any friendly nearby units that uses it.

This is suppose to look like the Fire Lords Incerate ability, except it works much different.

Coalch

Courage Aura - Coalch soldiers follow him blindly in battle and don't won't to see there king die. If Coalch have much hp left, his friends will fight as usual. If he has little hp left, his friends will fight much better, increasing the damage and armor of friendly units.

I'll try to figure something out for Lirch and more for the others.

Last edited:
I'm liking the Blizzard one a lot. The breath of fire might be a little hard to make but I'll see.
The aura of energy I don't quite understand - does it increase the enemies' or the allies' damage?
Courage aura might be a little tricky as well. Evil aura I could probably just take immolation, make it so it does nothing, but use it to turn on/off the hidden passive in an invisible spell book.

Very good ideas, + rep.

Level 12
I'm liking the Blizzard one a lot. The breath of fire might be a little hard to make but I'll see.
The aura of energy I don't quite understand - does it increase the enemies' or the allies' damage?
Courage aura might be a little tricky as well. Evil aura I could probably just take immolation, make it so it does nothing, but use it to turn on/off the hidden passive in an invisible spell book.

Oh i forgot to add something to the Aura of Energy...
When Pirch has the aura she will gain 5 bonus damage for each lvl and when she attacks her mana will take form in the enemy unit, granting 20 damage bonus or something. And when the unit dies 50/100/150 or something else will be distribuated amongst your mana units.

I hope that clears things up. And i added a little change to Lirchs' spell.
And THX for the rep. :)

Sounds like Lirch's is just charge +damage. The knockback stuns units anyway.

So basically the aura of energy is a +damage aura, but when a unit is killed with mana dies then it is spread around to nearby allies with mana? Is it only if Pirch kills the unit or is it if anyone with the aura kills the unit?

It's starting to make sense now.

Level 12
Sounds like Lirch's is just charge +damage. The knockback stuns units anyway.

So basically the aura of energy is a +damage aura, but when a unit is killed with mana dies then it is spread around to nearby allies with mana? Is it only if Pirch kills the unit or is it if anyone with the aura kills the unit?

It's starting to make sense now.

Yeah, lirchs is mainly just that.

I will try to improve my aura idea to its final state (maybe).

I have realized it would be better if Pirchs aura would affect enemy and friendly units.

When an enemy unit have Pirch's aura and is attacked by someone with a mana pool, the mana stuck to the attacked unit and the attacking unit. Each attack made by the attacking unit gives 10 bonus damage to the attacked unit. Each attack made gives 5 bonus damage to the attacking unit. When the attacked unit dies, the more bonus damage it had, the more mana it will give to nearby units. So 20 bonus damage for the attacked unit gives nearby friendly units 20 mana each or something.

Now it might be confusing with attacked and attacking unit but just look through it and you should see what i mean.

Level 8
For Pyritie:
Cardinal Field
Deals damage to the target enemy unit proportional to the amount of other enemy units nearby. Any other enemy units near the target are stunned for [Insert balanced number here] seconds.

Polarize
Pyritie's attacks bounce for the next 5 seconds. [Autocast ability] [Cooldown of 4-5 seconds]

I might code these, or any of the suggested above if I have the time...

Evil Aura - Decreases the armor of nearby enemy units but also increasing the damage. Can be reversed to a damage decreasing aura with a armor bonus effect.

If you think this aura is good you might want to change the name of it.

Pirch

Aura of Energy - Pirch uses pure mana to attack her enemies. Each attack increases the units attack damage by 2. When the units she has attacked dies, it will spread the mana back to any friendly nearby units that uses it.

This is suppose to look like the Fire Lords Incerate ability, except it works much different.

I will do evil aura. Evil aura, will reduce nearby enemy's armor and increase nearby allied units attack damage.

About Energie aura, i would like to do it as well, but i still have to think in the method. I don't know yet.

Just remember that Evil aura can be reversed, so you can use Immolation for the base with stats set to 0.

Mechmap said:

I think I might make energy aura +mana regen, because Firch's is already +dmg.

I think I have a good idea on how the energy aura would work. Start off with brilliance aura, and use that for the base. Then do a trigger something along the lines of
  • Events
    • Unit - a unit dies
  • Conditions
    • (unit type of killing unit) = Pirch
    • Killing unit has ability Energy Aura = true
  • Actions
    • Set UnitVar = Killing Unit
    • Set Mana = (current mana of Killed unit)
    • Set TempPoint = Position of UnitVar
    • Set Group = units within range of 500 of TempPoint matching condition (maximum mana of matching unit is greater than 0) ------- [you will need WEU for the "units within range" function]
    • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
    • Set Count = (count units in Group)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)
    • Set Mana = (Mana / Count) ------- gets the average amount
    • Unit Group - pick every unit in Group and do actions
      • Unit - set Picked unit's current mana to (current mana of picked unit + Mana)
    • Custom script - call DestroyGroup(udg_Group)
Or something like that.

Well.... That is kinda ugly lol ... Try using JASS. You are also using too much variables in my opinion. Still as long as it works you are the boss.
SO, that means i will have to create the Evil Aura ....

Well, here are my plans for the spell:
1 - The spell will be JASS
2 - Will be leak free
3 - NOT MUI ( idecided to make it not MUI, in order to make it very easy to understand and change)
4 - it will work (lol)

Now the method i intent to use:
1 - I will create 4 ability auras: 1 reduce armour, 1 increase armour and the same logic for the attack aura.
2 - The aura will have 2 icons: the armour aura icon will be in position (2,2) and the second icon will be the attack aura in position (1,2).
3 - I will use one global variable for the hero, thus making him the only unit who will be able to use the spell. I could make the spell MUI, but i would have to use Handle Vars to do so, which would complicate my script a lot more, and i know Pyritie wants simple scripts so this is my decision.
4 - I will increase/decrease the attack damage 5% per level,(starting with 5%). The armour aura will increase/reduce 1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5. I think this values are very balanced.

Cons:
I still don't know how i am going to install the reverse system ... I will surely need an icon ... But i will also need space for it. I am pondering the possibility
of:
1 - The aura will have only 1 icon. The icon will be in position (2,2) and will be a general icon. This icon will not be a passive icon, but yes as BTN, DISBTN icon, that when clicked will reverse the aura.
2 - To give to the hero the second aura i will import a black icon for the attack aura, which will be in position (1,2). Because this icon is black, no one will notice it exists.

Cons:
This possibility will take more memory and will increase the scripts complexity (which i am trying to avoid).

In both my methods i will not use dummy units or other import models/icons but those i already mention.

Oh, they will still notice black icons. Do you know how to use a disabled spellbook? It's a neat way to hide passives without having to worry about buttons. Tutorial about it is here.

And yes, it shouldn't be MUI because there's only going to be one Firch at a time :p

You can do the reverse system by just making two instant cast abilities (not howl of terror, I'm using that for time stop) and making them have the same tooltip, etc, but have all data set to 0 so it does nothing. Then use triggers to add/remove the on/off abilities.

Roar or FaeriFire are completely out of question. They would require the 5 levels ability, the code, and a dummy unit to cast them.
That would require more memory and would complicate things a lot more.

Spellbooks are also not an option for me. They could make the method easier, but they would make no sense in game-play: Why use a spell book with only 1 ability !?

However i may consider the use of a spellbook, if the players is allowed to choose which auras he wants (like, 1 amour increase aura and 1 attack increase aura, or 1 attack decrease aura and 1 attack increase aura, and so on).
I think reverse was not meant to be like that, and therefore i shall not use that system.
Still thx for the link.

Please read my last post, as I edited it.
Dummy units are out of question as they take extra codes to run, increase the complexity of the game, and make the script slower. They area good option if we have no other choice, but i am trying to keeps things like this because of you: It will be a lot easier to copy 1 script, 2 abilities and 1 global, than to copy 1 script, 7 globals, 1 dummy unit, and the ability itself.

I saw the tutorial lol.... I also saw that to use the book, i have to open it first and only after doing so you can choose the spell....

I gave it a fast look ... i may have a better look later, but i doubt that can help me.

Method change:
1 - Now i will use 4 hero abilities: 1 reduce armour aura, 1 increase armour aura, 1 attack increase aura, 1 decrease attack aura.

EDIT:
I can't read it all now, but it seems that it can help me after all lol ...

Noes.

This is what you need. Make a new spellbook ability. Then set the maximum and minimum spells to 1. Then add one of the auras into the spellbook.

Now, let's say that the aura is off by default. So what you do is do this:

• Events
    • Unit - a unit starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • unit type of casting unit = Firch
    • ability being cast = Aura ON
  • Actions
    • Unit - remove Aura ON from triggering unit
    • Unit - add Aura OFF to triggering unit
    • Unit - add AuraSpellBook to triggering unit
    • Player - disable AuraSpellBook for (owner of triggering unit)
The turning on/off shouldn't be too much trouble. In fact, that's all this spell really needs. If it's causing too much of a headache for you, I can make it.

Agree lol. There absolutly no doubt that JASS is way better lol.

Anyway, back to the point, i have several and very important exams starting from tomorrow (saturday), and they will last +/- 3 weeks. I hope you understand i won't be able to help as much as i idi unitl now, but i will stil do my best.

As leader of the map i think you should know this.

Level 15
Lirch? hm...

how about ...

Superheat
Lirch runs so fast the friction gives him the tempary power to burn his enemeys
basicaly its timed immoultation
(each level it go up it lasts longer and dose more damage:pir:)

[rainbow](Epic)Explosion ward[/rainbow]
Lirch puts all of his exses eyenrgy into a magical orb that explodes when a enemy gets nere
(each level the explosing gets stronger cooldown shorter and costs less mana:pal:)

Status
Not open for further replies.