• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effects don't appear after loading map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello guys,

so, i was trying around a whole bunch of stuff to avoid this problem, but simply couldn't find an answer to it:

A lot of times when i save one of my bigger RPG maps, restart my PC, and load the map again, some of the special effects/graphics are just not shown properly. This does not happen if i just save and load the map in the same session or even if i shut down Warcraft 3 and start it again before restarting the PC.

To solve the problem, I tried restarting the PC again, closing other programs that have been running before starting Warcraft 3 and start it again, saving the map on a different path, and starting Warcraft 3 as administrator... nothing of it worked :ogre_rage:

Did somebody make the same experience? Is there a way to fix this issue? I would be very happy if somebody is able to help me with that, since the map is mostly unplayable due to this, since some of the bossfights use heavy AoE effects that you simply cannot see anymore.

Lok'thar ogar!

Mokrush

Level 2
Hey Legal_Ease, first of all thanks for responding. I don't really think that it is an issue of a couple of triggers. There are plenty of triggers activating when loading the map, but i already turned all of them off and tested it again and still receive the same problem (sometimes, not every time). I also fixed a whole lot of leaks from my old trigger structure after reading a lot about leaks, but that didn't do the job. Maybe it just has to do with the amount of triggers I am using, since i passed the 1000-trigger-mark a few days ago :goblin_good_job:

So my guess is that it has to do with the size of the map. To have an idea: it's a hack'n'slay kind of map with the biggest possible size, at least 3000 units on the map spawned via triggers, and as i said around 1000 triggers total. This however would probably mean that there is no way to fix it besides shrinking the whole map, which is impossible without destroying a whole bunch of the gameplay.

Level 2
Yeah I already thought about that as well. There are a lot of triggers with similar or even the same events that i can fuse.

But do you think that this can solve the problem?

Level 18
Yes I do think that will solve your problem. It is most likely problem with inefficient coding.
BOT it will take time to do that, so if you're interested, post similar triggers and ask is it possible to combine them, and we'll help you learn how to do that.

Level 2
Okay, thank you guys for your help so far! I don't really have the time to do all that at the moment. But what makes me still wonder is: why does this problem only occur when i restart my pc and load the map afterwards, and not when i just close Warcraft 3, reopen it and then load the map?

Level 18
Okay, thank you guys for your help so far! I don't really have the time to do all that at the moment. But what makes me still wonder is: why does this problem only occur when i restart my pc and load the map afterwards, and not when i just close Warcraft 3, reopen it and then load the map?

It's most likely due to caching files or something.

Level 2
So is there anything you can do about that caching issue? I mean like, preventing the WC3 cache to be deleted when shutting down your computer or stuff like that?

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Keep in mind the Don't Repeat Yourself principle when coding. If you have to copy paste triggers more than 1 time, then you should turn it into a function if possible.

Settings -> Video Quality (something like this, it has the setting for resolution for what I remember)
Set all the options to High.
I doubt it, but worth a shot.

Anyway, cache of the game might be behind the issue.
The trigger optimizing might not be the case solver, but it's worth a shot.

I wondered, is thousands of special effects activate at the same time?

Level 2
I will definitely take a look at all my triggers to reduce the amount of triggers by fusing them, thanks guys!

@Daffa the Mage: i tried to be very careful in removing every single special effect that is created at any time so that they don't sum up and cause problems. There might be a few triggers that could still produce undeleted effects, but it surely isn't a ton of effects. There usually aren't too many special effects produced at the same time besides some boss fights, which use variables to store special effects and delete them later. So overall, i don't think there are too many special effects active at the same time.

I will try the Video Quality option stuff. Thank you all for responding and trying to help, really appreciate it! :ogre_haosis:

Status
Not open for further replies.