• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some Naga Race Questions

1- Is the feature of creating soldiers from the main base (in the campaign) a feature that should be respected in a (complete) Naga race or not?

2- To what degree should the structure of the Naga tree of the campaign be respected? (Considering the balance)

100%, additions only
minor changes
must be completely restructured

3- How would you balance the Naga's swimming characteristic?

• Upgrade available at level 3 (base)
  • Improvement of each unit (something like a mutation)
  • Remove feature by balance
Other ideas.

4- Should the Naga have a mechanical siege unit? (ideas)
  • No
  • Yes (ideas)

5- What air units should the Naga have?

Level 11
I'm no expert on Custom Race creation or balance, but I'll throw in my opinions and a few ideas:

1 - I never liked or really understood why the Naga had this feature. A lot of the Custom Naga Maps I've played kept this in, but I think leaving it out would be better.

2 - Not sure about this one.

3 - I think the Naga's relation to water is important to its identity, but it's ultimately not very balanced I think. An upgrade could work.

Most maps don't have water, so what I thought of doing was giving the structures a "Tide Aura" to simulate water. It makes the Naga's movement and regeneration faster, but only around their buildings.

4 - I don't see the Naga having mechanical units.

5 - I think the Naga's weakness should be air units, considering they mostly live underwater and have no use for them. Keeping one like they currently have could suffice, but two would probably be necessary for balance.

Hopefully these ideas were helpful :)

I'm no expert on Custom Race creation or balance, but I'll throw in my opinions and a few ideas:

1 - I never liked or really understood why the Naga had this feature. A lot of the Custom Naga Maps I've played kept this in, but I think leaving it out would be better.

2 - Not sure about this one.

3 - I think the Naga's relation to water is important to its identity, but it's ultimately not very balanced I think. An upgrade could work.

Most maps don't have water, so what I thought of doing was giving the structures a "Tide Aura" to simulate water. It makes the Naga's movement and regeneration faster, but only around their buildings.

4 - I don't see the Naga having mechanical units.

5 - I think the Naga's weakness should be air units, considering they mostly live underwater and have no use for them. Keeping one like they currently have could suffice, but two would probably be necessary for balance.

Hopefully these ideas were helpful :)
Thanks!!!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1- Is the feature of creating soldiers from the main base (in the campaign) a feature that should be respected in a (complete) Naga race or not?
2- To what degree should the structure of the Naga tree of the campaign be respected? (Considering the balance)
Given how fleshed out the Naga was, it feels pretty clear to me that at least someone on the development team wanted them to be a full race. As such to stay truthful to that image one would have to keep as much the same as possible and try to balance around it.

That said one must also remember than Naga did not make it to be a melee race. As such it is possible that their current design is one of the contributing reasons for that. It might not be possible to balance them in a reasonable way while keeping it.
It is likely one of the reasons they did not make it to be a melee race, especially given that ship and water mechanics as a whole were avoided in melee mostly. At the very least I would recommend preventing Naga units from acting in water, with possibly an ability to lock them to land only so that a player does not accidently move some into water during a critical battle which ends up costing them.

Level 11
you mean murgul reavers? well you see the fact that they are available from the start of the game means they can used as a rush strat dealing as much dmg as a grunt and having an ok HP i would say they should be kept in the temple of tides but would be unlocked using some sort of upgrade as keeping them there from the start of the game will result in them being abused by players to score wins
the Naga tech tree if kept like it is is absolutely broken their main melee unit the myrmidon can be trained from the start of the game being a direct copy of the abomination while having ensnare too and able to swim in short you will get a unit with 1080 HP within the first 5 minutes of the game while the myrmidon attack speed is pathetic something to fix here , still the tech tree must be rebuilt from the start to finish with 3 tiers of town halls adding the royal guard as a tier 3 melee unit but when doing this reconstruction
of the tech tree its better to keep thing as close to the original Naga tech tree as possible so they dont lose their charm

• Upgrade available at level 3 (base)
  • Improvement of each unit (something like a mutation)
  • Remove feature by balance
it depends on the map if the map has a lot of deep water and is accessible meaning no cliffs or any gap between it and the Naga army its very dependent on how the deep water is shaped in the map like how much it covers the map? where it covers the map ? if lets say the map was like the echo isles it would offer the naga armies a very broken and flexible maneuverability as they will be able to reach places at a speed you wont be able to achieve normally now it should be kept but restricted somehow maybe limit it to a tier 3 upgrade thus the naga player will get the upgrade only if the map terrain allows mind you all naga units can swim meaning if you play on an islands like map where gold mines need goblin zeppelins to be reached the naga will have a big advantage here
Other ideas.

• No
  • Yes (ideas)
Naga better stay all organic army suits them better

keep the original dragon the naga had but increase its cost the monster is way too strong and too good must be made more costly a bit without touching any of its stats

Level 7

No, I don't believe this should be respected.

To what degree should the structure of the Naga tree of the campaign be respected? (Considering the balance)

Naga, as presented in Wc3 camping is composed of their T2 and T3 components, with T1 needing to be provided by the race they are enhancing.

I would honestly phase swimming out as naval combat is not a relevant part of most Warcraft 3. 4/5 races engage in ground combat or hybrid (mix of land and air combat).

Turtle and Myrmidon are OP for siege. Also, mechanical combat units make no sense for Naga, since they live mostly underwater and maintaining those would be a massive pain.

The Couatl is pretty underwhelming. I would change it to allow you to alternate between casting Parasite and Abolish Magic.