• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

skinning tutorial- metallics

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's a little tutorial on how to make metal using the leg of a priest.

step1: cover part in grey color with slight, subtle brownish tone. burn in basic lines.
armor.jpg

step2: choose a place where the light should hit and use burn tool to make shadows around it. leave a slight stripe on opposite side in order to make hilights. since i dont feel like getting inot too much detail on how to shade certain shapes, use a refernce, google is a skinners best friend.

armor1.jpg

step3: this is going to require major smudging..so use smudge to clean up the shading. burn again in some spots if necessary.

armor2.jpg

step4: use dodge tool to make hilights and to determine the shape better.
armor3.jpg

step5: use smudge but with a small opacity in order to maintain the "dodge" hilighting effect.

armor4.jpg

step6: on the little stripe, color it whatever color you want, making it look like it's reflecting off of a surface near it. i used green, you can use whatever color you want, just make it consistant. i also colored the little jewel at the top red. and finally, recolor the metal to slightly more brown to make it look more like bronze.

armor5.jpg

well there you go. practice these steps and develope your style and your well onto way to getting director's choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.