• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Short Story Contest #8 - Knife-edge [Lack of activity]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

short%20story.png
contest.png
number.png
8.png

knife-attack.jpg

Knife-Edge
Contestants are required to write a short story based around a character 'on thin ice'. A tension featured through-out the work, which must come full circle by the end of the work. Cliffhangers suggested ;) The story must be written in the vein of Realistic Literary Fiction; ...The term is principally used to distinguish "serious fiction" which is a work that claims to hold literary merit, in comparison from genre fiction and popular fiction (i.e., paraliterature). In broad terms, literary fiction focuses more upon style, psychological depth, and character. This is in contrast to Mainstream commercial fiction, which focuses more on narrative and plot. Literary fiction may also be characterized as lasting fiction — literature which continues to be read and in-demand many decades and perhaps centuries after the author has died.' There are no constraints on the time-period of the story. [][]
(Note that the next theme will be a fantasy theme if this one is accepted.)

On a further note about 'knife-edge': the theme is rather loose, contestants are only required to include a tension or balance featured through out the story that must find break in one way or another. Besides this tension and breaking, nothing else is constrained. (other than the genre)

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• The entry must be a minimum of 3,000 words and a maximum of 12,000
  • The entry must be a work of Realistic Literary Fiction, and abide by the theme.
  • No plagiarism will be accepted. Period.
  • All entries must be written in fluent English, illegible entries will be disqualified.
  • At least one WIP (Work In Progress) must be presented before the deadline.
  • The entry must abide by the theme.
  • The story may NOT be derived from preexisting works of literature/art by any author, including yourself.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Available slot!
  • Available slot!
  • Available slot!
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Characterization
The depth and psychology of your characters./25

Theme
How well you followed the theme./25

Flow & Pacing
The writer's ability to pace appropriately./15

Creativity & Originality
The ability of the writer to spin his characters in a new light./15

Eloquence
The beauty, efficiency, and function of the writers paragraphs and grammar/20
  • 80 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 20 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 11/2/11 and conclude on 12/22/11, GMT
  • There will only be ONE extension possible and the maximum duration of this will be 8 days.
  • The contest will only conclude and if there are a minimum of 3 completed entries. If there are not, then the contest will be extended.

Last edited:
yeah we need to past a WIP so heres a preview

My eyes flutter as my consciousness waxes and wanes. The world opens up before me as I take in a slow shallow breath. My eyes open just enough to see what pains the air pressing its way to my lungs. Pockets of black and blue lie upon my bare chest. I lazily lift my head to the barren room before me. Blood is pooling in the center of the room; my blood. Questions instantly flood into my mind, and I struggle to back away from the blood as much as possible. My efforts are in vain, and I come to the realization that my arms are tied behind my back. My eyes dart around the room of light green ceramic tiles and I see a fortified door as well as a barred window on the opposite side. The room is stuffy, and smells rotten, and the corners have scattered amounts of cockroaches. Among the questions flooding into my head, one rings in loud and clear, “How did I get here?” As if in answer, the lock on the fortified door thumps open and the door swings open with a shriek that burns in my ears. Two men in suits walk in casually, stepping over my blood and staring down at me, as if I were a wounded animal in their hunting grounds. I sense an anger burning in their eyes through their dark glasses. They untie me and pick me up, dragging me out into the clammy thin corridors outside my isolated room.

Level 18
I can't believe this is going to be the theme. Last contest, there were several issues with people not fully understanding the term 'space opera', even though there were plenty of examples. And now the theme is an even more vague term. I predict trouble and this very page has already proven that (the very first WIP of the contest and its comment by TWIF). I didn't check the theme picking thread, but this is going to be a very bad theme for sure. Next time, let's take one that everybody understands without any required references to a wiki site. It's like a music thread where only melodic death metal is allowed; nobody will know the exact lines of where it's melodic (instead of e.g. symphonic) and when it's death (instead of e.g. heavy, trash or viking). I hope that illustrates my point clear enough. That would mean that the upcoming fantasy theme should not be narrowed down to something ridiculously specific like 'Wuxia fantasy' (found after a quick wiki search).

Status
Not open for further replies.