• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Screenshot Teasers of Upcoming Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I'm currently working on a campaign project and from my perspective, the first chapter's terrain should be done. However, I am certain it could be improved, so I would greatly appreciate some comments and critique. Remember that the terrain is fully playable.

Update: Added more stuff to the town and more environmental doodads to the forest and water areas.
Update 2: New Screenshot uploaded.

Attachments

• ScreenD.JPG
    ScreenD.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 162
  • ScreenA.jpg
    ScreenA.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 146
  • ScreenB.JPG
    ScreenB.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 153
  • ScreenC.JPG
    ScreenC.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 157
  • ScreenF.JPG
    ScreenF.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I personally dislike the yellowish green trees, I've just NEVER liked them, it's a personal thing I suppose. IMO, the normal grass needs to grow closer to the path, maybe with some more bushes and flowers. Also, the rocks are far too blocky as I reckon, I think you'd be better off with just leaving the cliff, maybe some rocks, with large lumps at points. The town needs height variation; the pebbles look completely out of place IMO, especially with the dirty grass at one point. One more thing, when making rocks out of cliffs, use the normal blizzard rocks. The massive cubey ones look bad there, IMO.

Level 3
i like everything though the village could use some work. make it bigger, add a few hay, some destroyed wagons iono just something to make it less plain. and those rocks need to go more into the path, try adding 2 or 3 more and also add more critters or peasants?. good luck on this!

Level 36
It is a fairly good terrain. Yet what it is lacking is details. Might I suggest you use the Fern or maybe even Shrub 4 model from the UTM to make the grass in itself get more ahh... Interesting. And as my fellow user mentioned; it is indeed lacking in atmosphere. The river should look more.. Alive, with more plants in from of Sea Wheed and those leaf looking things I just cant remember the name of now, more clustered and realistic looking. I dont see anything wrong with the stones/cliff other than it is in sore need of tinting, it have to be a bit darker, even maybe a bit greener.

And your city looks traight through un-interesting. There is really nothing eye-catching about it, you should make it varie a bit more, and have some sort of main hall in there. Not to mention it needs to seem more alive, and thus again we come to the details, just the small stuff like banners at the entrance and some signs here and there might do the trick. But as mentioned before; it is a fairly good terrain.

Level 24
Thanks for all the comments guys.
@Elfsilver Lord: Well, do you have any suggestions for the fog? I've never really used it.
@Keiji: I added a lot more environmental doodads both to the forest areas and the river. I personally thing the cliffs are good as they are, though.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
@Elfsilver Lord: Well, do you have any suggestions for the fog? I've never really used it.
@Keiji: I added a lot more environmental doodads both to the forest areas and the river. I personally thing the cliffs are good as they are, though.

Fog depends on what stage you want to set. Light green, pink or light blue creates a sort of morning mist, and is commonly used. It's really all trial and error by the tileset, what blends well with it. For example, browns and reds work awesome in deserts, while a tundra would have a near white color.

Level 34
Careful with those shrubs, the 3rd picture was ruined with them. Keep them in or close to other doodads, since I don't think they look great alone. Also your river could use some rocks on the shore and in the water. Try placing some cattails in little bunches with lily pads and rocks in them. Doodad bunches are usually a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.