• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Sc Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
So.. First time you logg in to B.net the screen will look like this:
ZERGLING FRENZY!!!!!
SDOTA!
DOTA! THE NEW DOTA
Join! Dota
Dota dota dota! :D
amg! DOTA the new DOTA!
Foot.. I mean Zergling Frenzy!
Bunker Wars..

U get the idea.

Level 7
even if there arent heros i could still make dota through trigger heroes (god forbid someone else knows how [prob but we can dream cant we])

Down with DOTA!

Level 7
The first thing I plan to do when SC2 comes out is remake my favorite Starcraft game, penguin warz. Although almost nobody knows what the hell it is, its a bit like footies (except you get 1 zergling a second) and every 50 kills you get a bonus unit chooser. This was the fun part; the bonus units were all really fun and could rape hundreds of enemy lings at a time.

Level 13
No. Too many Wc3 noobs will go "WTF THIS IS NOT AOS BS OMFG" without realizing it was infact based off of the actual "Aeon of Strife" in the SC lore.

probably better to have it like AoS XP or AoSv2 or something.

just my 2 cents though, not all Wc3 noobs are drooling morons (though most are little kiddies around age 10, unfortunately).

Hell, now that i think about it, i dont think most Wc3 noobs knows what the "Aeon of Strife" really is.

Level 34
I never found out exactly what Aeon Of Strife was. I understand what kind of game it is, but is it just the name of a map made by some random guy for SC?

Level 26
I never found out exactly what Aeon Of Strife was. I understand what kind of game it is, but is it just the name of a map made by some random guy for SC?
Starcraft Wikia said:
The Xel'Naga were initially revered as gods, as the Protoss looked towards their creators with respect and a lust for knowledge. However, as the understanding and personal awareness of the young Protoss grew, they began to place greater pride in individual achievements rather than the benefit of the community. The various Tribes sought to distance themselves from one another, seeking their role not only within their immediate society, but the universe as a whole.

The tribes began to fear treachery from their masters, and in seeking to sever themselves from the rest of their race, attempted to lose the psychic link that they shared. This dissolved whatever remnants of brotherhood or unity that the Protoss had shared. Feeling that the greatest attribute of the Protoss was lost, the Xel'Naga began withdrawing from Aiur. However, the suspicious Protoss responded with an attack on the Xel'Naga Worldships, which fended off the hasty attack and left the system. The Protoss Tribes then turned against each other, beginning the Aeon of Strife, the most devastating civil war in recorded galactic history.[1]
[edit]
The Aeon of Strife

During the Aeon of Strife, Protoss advancement slowed, and the tribes waged a massive war with each other, lasting hundreds of years. Little is known from this time, but it is known that the Protoss lost their psionic link with each other. The Aeon of Strife was the longest, most devastating civil war to ever strike any currently known species. The most famous Tribe from this time period is the Akilae Tribe, which are to this day renowned as the Protoss' finest psionic warriors.[1]

During this time, the Protoss maintained colonies on other planets, often connected by Warp Gates, but these too quickly became gripped with the Strife.[3]

The Protoss Tribes descended into something resembling madness as they attacked one another. One example was the Mendella Incident, where the mainly underground settlement of Mendella was deliberately flooded when another Protoss faction destroyed a nearby reservoir.[4]
[edit]
He Who Brings Order

The mystic Khas (a word meaning "He who brings order") eventually brought about the end of the Strife. He had studied the "forbidden" teachings of the Xel'Naga and unearthed the Khaydarin Crystals. With these crystals he was able to amplify the psionic link, which had submerged itself in Protoss egos, and recreate the link.[1]

With this power, he travelled through Aiur and the other Protoss planets, teaching the Protoss he encountered to join the psionic link; this became a philosophy called the Khala. He demonstrated the powers of the Khaydarin Crystals at Gyras, where he ended the feuding by destroying the battleground. Eventually Khas reunited the majority of the Protoss, forming three castes and a new Tribe.

The very first group of warriors and students to surround him became the Ara Tribe, and joined the Judicator Caste. The other Tribes to quickly join also became members of this caste.[1]

The next group of Tribes became the Templar Caste (the warriors), and the majority of the Protoss became the Khalai Caste (workers and artisans), ending the civil war.

The theory known as the Khala brought on the Second Age for the Protoss. The Tribal society evolved into three Castes: the Judicator Caste (led by the Conclave), the Khalai Caste and the Templar.[1]
Basically, a giant Protoss civil war.

Level 26
No, I don't want heroes in melee at all. AT ALL. They don't properly represent the melee gameplay of starcraft, a mere option or not. It'd be like having a printer cartridge come with your TV. Completely unnecessary and doesn't fit at all. If you want melee with heroes, it's not that hard to make your own map with such, assuming the editor comes with a hero system.

No, I don't want heroes in melee at all. AT ALL. They don't properly represent the melee gameplay of starcraft, a mere option or not. It'd be like having a printer cartridge come with your TV. Completely unnecessary and doesn't fit at all. If you want melee with heroes, it's not that hard to make your own map with such, assuming the editor comes with a hero system.

QFT!

this is Starcraft People! NOT ANOTHER WARCRAFT!

Lol! Yeah....warcraft should stay warcraft (too late, WoW) and starcraft should stay starcraft.

Level 8

But if Blizzard DID put hereos in the melee game, I would rather it came with a toggle than without.

Level 35
I think a toggle is an excellent idea...it gives both sides what they want.

Having heroes is not that bad...if its done right it is a good thing.

I would personally love to see an elite protoss with a pulse gun, and psionic blade with a few abilities leading a charge supported by several protoss units....(note this would not be an IMBA hero...it would easilly die if it went alone.)

Level 26
I think a toggle is an excellent idea...it gives both sides what they want.

Having heroes is not that bad...if its done right it is a good thing.

I would personally love to see an elite protoss with a pulse gun, and psionic blade with a few abilities leading a charge supported by several protoss units....(note this would not be an IMBA hero...it would easilly die if it went alone.)
no.
no.
no.
no.
no.
no.
no.

THIS IS NOT WARCRAFT IN SPACE. IT'S MUCH MORE SOPHISTICATED.

Level 35
Yeah, and Warcraft is a strategy game...Gasp! looks like it is'nt anymore....

Things change, Starcraft 2 is a new game, it isnt warcraft in space, but it is'nt starcraft 1 either. Thus heroes might actually be a good idea.

I see no reason why they would'nt be....as long as they are done correctly.

Level 26
Yeah, and Warcraft is a strategy game...Gasp! looks like it is'nt anymore....
And clearly, all strategy games need wc3 styled heroes.
Things change, Starcraft 2 is a new game
And all new games require wc3 styled heroes as well.
it isnt warcraft in space, but it is'nt starcraft 1 either. Thus heroes might actually be a good idea.

I see no reason why they would'nt be....as long as they are done correctly.
And the correct way to do it is not doing it at all.

WC3 styled heroes in Starcraft makes about as much sense as superweapons in WC3. It's an obvious border of macro vs micro. You want to blur this border? Make your own damn map. Just don't piss on the melee stylings that Blizzard so thoughtfully (or not so thoughtfully) constructed. Again, it is not warcraft in space.

Level 35
I am not saying Warcraft styled heroes are needed. What I am saying is that Leader units are a good idea.

I am also saying, that just because you do not want heroes in the game, that does not mean that the option of having them should be totally removed.

A toggle is a good compromise.

Level 13
Why are people beating a dead horse? From what I understand some of you want a WC 3 style hero or a commander in melee maps. Well THERE WON'T BE ANY! Blizzard has said that SOOO many times.

Heroes are restricted to Campaigns and Map Editor. The Campaign heroes are most likely like what they were in SC 1, except now they have special abilities and their own models. Maybe we can buy some upgrades for them from the whole "unit recruiting" machine before going into a mission (everyone who watched the Terran Campaign preview know what I'm talking about).

Also I THINK there will be WC 3 hero system in the map editor.

Level 26
Why are people beating a dead horse? From what I understand some of you want a WC 3 style hero or a commander in melee maps. Well THERE WON'T BE ANY! Blizzard has said that SOOO many times.
How do you not get it? We're not saying whether or not there ARE going to be heroes in melee, we're discussing whether or not there SHOULD be heroes in melee. DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE, ARISTOTLE?
Just said:
there is a thing in sc2, that if your units stay alive longer, then they get higher ranks. that could go for being a hero type system.
If you mean veterancy, no one really knows for sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.