• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Samwise Didier retires from Blizzard

Level 11
We get Metzen back, but we lose Sammy. Damn...
I wonder if it has anything to do with Microsoft's acquisition of Blizzard.

F-mM8NpXYAA-5FG

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I wonder if it has anything to do with Microsoft's acquisition of Blizzard.
I doubt it. All the stuff that happened at Blizzard had nothing to do with Microsoft and the merger is still in early days of being executed so employees are unlikely to know what it will mean for them.

I suspect it is more a combination of having gone though the turmoil at Blizzard in recent years, Blizzard's current direction not fully aligning with his and being over 50 years old. If he has enough to retire with, now is probably as good a time as any to do so.

I doubt it.
He published an in-depth video on his ABC Samwise YouTube channel that better and more accurately explains his exact reasoning. So, there is hardly any reason for doubting or for speculation.

Basically, as I recall, he looked at the age his father was at the time of his father's death, assumed that he had similar genes, and started to try to come to terms with the idea that he's going to die in 25 years, and that led him to make these decisions, etc.

Level 11
This video's kinda put me at ease with Sam's retirement from Blizzard, despite some of the grim (but totally realistic) thoughts he is reflecting on in the beginning.

Looking forward to all the cool art he will be drawing as a Ronin artist (in Sam's own words).