• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Round Table of Arkain

Level 12
Well , a lot of passion, hard work and strong will . Ave Shar Dundred , we that we are about to die , we salute you !

Level 1
Hey, I've finished the first book at normal difficulty so I'd like to give some feedback. :D

- Dialogue is good, most stuff make sense and only a few grammar errors.
- I suck at terrain and I'd say yours is great.
- The choice system was cool.
- Most units are useful, Bear Riders are awesome :D But some units like footmen/warriors become irrevelant fast after 2-3 episodes, even vindicators are irrelevant because you have captains at that point, or knights. I mean since the early game is skipped -where they would be useful- in last episodes, you may try buffing them or something, even against range knights are better.
- The episode where you play the dwarves is impossible to win if you don't spam Tanks in their bases. I had 10 workshops and probably used 100-150 tanks to defeat the orcs. :D
- Grael(?) the Hunter is ridiculously strong, like he can easily 1v50 Blen(?). I guess you wanted him that way though.
- The episode where you take out the Elven traitor takes like 1.5 hours because I had nothing to beat the endless Infernals, tried every combination until I just lured them into 20 towers... I also had to troll the enemy with 30 Walkyries for 1 hour. Without Judicators nothing really works, idk if they would work either.
- The last episode is kinda easy because you can just use Mass Teleport 10 Tanks after sending one unit near enemy fortress and win.
- Idk if it's because of my choices but I never got to use some units, like Pegasi or Destructors.
- Allies are kinda passive... I guess still better than blizz campaign allies.
- Most episodes are a HUGE grind through never ending buildings and units. It took so long that I almost ran out of trees at one episode. You should spice it up a little.
- I mean it's supposed to be challenging ofc but I almost broke my monitor at some episodes. Mostly because of the grind required. :D
- You could use some variations on unit-specific upgrades/abilities but I guess you wanted to keep it simple and understandable. Like you know, Bear Riders could use Roar, Warriors could have a passive charge-like ability with a cooldown, elven swordsmen could have an anti melee ability called parry instead of defend etc. just throwing out random stuff.
- Hero abilities could use some variety. Double Holy Light helped me out big time though :p Speaking of abilities, Garmon(?)'s abilities are quite OP, dunno if it was intended. Especially battle cry and war aura give hundreds of DPS. Every unit hits like 2.5x.
- Story is good but I want to point out you could use less characters with more development or details. We spend little time with everyone because there are so many.
- Boss fights were really COOL.
- Bugs(?): Some heroes *tried* to talk many times during gameplay but there was no sound or chat texts, just their animation. You know, the cinematics between episodes work, I'm talking about the stuff meanwhile we play the episodes. Idk if the issue is with me or the maps but that's what happened every episode. Also, the troll riders were invisible even with magic sentry most of the time but my towers were able to hit them. Like there would be 2 wind riders but one of my towers have liquid fire, and they shoot at something unseen for a while, then they shoot at wind riders.

I think I've mostly listed flaws, sorry, since people remember bad things more. Still, it was the best custom campaign I've ever played/finished, sooo other stuff I didn't list there were great :p 9/10! :D I'll wait for the next book.

Last edited:

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
This should be in the maps section by the way, this thread deals with in development campaigns.
Also, any updates to the First Human Book will be a long time comin, it's Shar's time anyways so he decides... wonder if he'll be bit angry at me for this.... HEHEH

- The episode where you play the dwarves is impossible to win if you don't spam Tanks in their bases. I had 10 workshops and probably used 100-150 tanks to defeat the orcs. :D

Man I only had one tank with me.

Most units are useful, Bear Riders are awesome :D But some units like footmen/warriors become irrevelant fast after 2-3 episodes, even vindicators are irrelevant because you have captains at that point, or knights. I mean since the early game is skipped -where they would be useful- in last episodes, you may try buffing them or something, even against range knights are better.

I already talked to Shar about the vindicators, they'll become their own unique unit eventually with their own abilities.

- Idk if it's because of my choices but I never got to use some units, like Pegasi or Destructors.

Shar is just mean not giving us some units, be prepared to not get many more. >:)

- Hero abilities could use some variety. Double Holy Light helped me out big time though :p Speaking of abilities, Garmon(?)'s abilities are quite OP, dunno if it was intended. Especially battle cry and war aura give hundreds of DPS. Every unit hits like 2.5x.

It's Gardon :p SOME hero abilities are going to be changed in a future update to more unique spells but for now they're more plain... cept Gardon. Heh

Bugs(?): Some heroes *tried* to talk many times during gameplay but there was no sound or chat texts, just their animation. You know, the cinematics between episodes work, I'm talking about the stuff meanwhile we play the episodes. Idk if the issue is with me or the maps but that's what happened every episode. Also, the troll riders were invisible even with magic sentry most of the time but my towers were able to hit them. Like there would be 2 wind riders but one of my towers have liquid fire, and they shoot at something unseen for a while, then they shoot at wind riders.

I think you need to turn on subtitles friend. :ccool:
Hmm, the troll bat riders weren't ever invisible for me. They have a very small clickable hitbox but that was all I ever observed. :ahug:

- The episode where you take out the Elven traitor takes like 1.5 hours because I had nothing to beat the endless Infernals, tried every combination until I just lured them into 20 towers... I also had to troll the enemy with 30 Walkyries for 1 hour. Without Judicators nothing really works, idk if they would work either.

I told people to take chapter five slowly but they never listen! :infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
This should be in the maps section by the way, this thread deals with in development campaigns.
Also, any updates to the First Human Book will be a long time comin, it's Shar's time anyways so he decides... wonder if he'll be bit angry at me for this.... HEHEH

CHIIIIIIIIEF!! ;P

I already talked to Shar about the vindicators, they'll become their own unique unit eventually with their own abilities.

Yep, working on that one.

Shar is just mean not giving us some units, be prepared to not get many more. >:)

I prefer "cruel". >:)

It's Gardon :p Many hero abilities are going to be changed in a future update to more unique spells but for now they're more plain... cept Gardon. Heh

Can't recall ever mentioning anything about "many". ;P

Level 20
I know that Salomar the Healer is a paladin,and probably in the future he will get killed :'(
(I really love that guy),but how about to use some variety on his skill section,Remove the divine shild and the armour aura and add two speels,About divine light and ulty i guess they have to stay like that,they are the signature spells of a paladin.
The mission whith Dwarves is a pain in the a$$ i was playing it in hard and i took me 2:30 minutes to win it, (not mentioning the re-loadings )
Glad to see you fixed the bugs i might give a try the orc camping on weekend,when the dammed school wont bother me :p

Level 20
I dont think it is that overpowered.A good player would utilize wards and would be well aware when the enemy is going to strike.From the other hand if you are a noob player than it can be considered a littel bit overpowered

Kasrkin

Level 26
Progress report
I started working on Chapter Four terrain.

Excellent

Emperor_Upon_Throne.jpg

The Emperor is pleased... as he can be sitting on a throne immobilized.

Level 20
Wow you posted this so soon.
My thoughts on this chapter WARNING THE FOLOWING TEXT CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS SO READ AT YOU'RE OWN RISK(glad i took that out of the way :D )
Well,i dont put to much emphasis to the terrain,but the one at the cave needs some work.It looks like it is... empty...
Plot wise it is getting interesting,the red orcs ohohohoho i was waiting for them to show up,
Well i tryed both routes on normal mode and it is kinda unbalanced.The cave path was way more easy for me to beat i think you might wanna fix that to make them kinda equal on difficulty. Either add more orcs at the cave,or remove some imperial unites at their base.
Oh shar i was thinking...Sinc Rath is a maruder wouldent be more fitting to give him a endurance aure rather the one he has right now.

On a finale note do you plan adding any Ogres in this book,or you are saving them for the other book or you wont include them at all ??

Keep up the good work

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Progress report
To be honest, progress isn't going as well as it could since I really get tired of terraining and that's around half of the mapping progress since I'd get lynched if I wouldn't create an acceptable terrain.
Not sure how long it'll take until I release the next update with the next chapter, but don't worry. I'm still working on it.

Kasrkin

Level 26
Shar, I have the perfect idea for five... you know that base, the one with the towers? Course you do, well instead of plain old towers add even more BUT add some boulder towers to that mess... no don't take any away just add MORE.

post-100524-1216199195.jpg

The Ork Emperor demands it!

And make him revivable, you know who... yes I know he drops something just make him rezableeee

AND MOAR DRAGONS!

HEY DON'T LOOK AT THE SPOILERS, THEY'RE NOT FOR YOU... unless you want to look of course.

Level 20
So i played the new map and i am pleased whith it.One thing that I kinda dident like it was the fact that how easy you could ally the Yellow Clan [SPOILER ALERT] you just had to mine for a few minutes and they would join you.I think lowering the starting gold would make the mision more Challenging.

The model you used on the savage orc champion was a really good model :).I am not gonna say anything about the terrain sinc i know that's the part you dont enjoy doing it.
I enjoyed playing this chapter.It had so many ways you could play it and was challenging as well.
I had a couple of things i wanted to ask about.
1.You named the bloodhand blademaster after my name?Or you just gave it a random name?
2.Are you considering adding ogres on the orc storyline?
3.I know i am being impatient but...Where is the other update coming out :D

Merry christmas and happy new year!

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
1.You named the bloodhand blademaster after my name?Or you just gave it a random name?

Completely random.

2.Are you considering adding ogres on the orc storyline?

Not going to tell you about that one. That'd spoil the storyline ;)

3.I know i am being impatient but...Where is the other update coming out :D

Where? Here. ;P
When? Not sure yet.

Merry christmas and happy new year!

Same to you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Announcement
I have good news for you all as well as bad ones.
Bad ones first: I almost finished Chapter Six but decided to throw it away. It had a good concept I haven't used before but it turned out to be too boring. Chapter Six has been cancelled (Yes, I'm quite aware this is the second time I remove a chapter from the campaign.). I won't publish exact information about that chapter because it's not impossible that I might consider adding it again later.
But no need to be disappointed, I have some good news as well:
First, Chapter Seven (which is now actually the new Chapter Six) is mostly done as well! I prepared both Chapter Six and Seven
(Surprise Kasrkin, even you didn't know about THAT one, did ya? :p )
because I wanted to release them along with Chapter Five as a little christmas gift. Didn't work because of Chapter Six, but still good news, isn't it? ;)
Also, I consider adding another mission to replace Chapter Six but that's not entirely sure yet. Stay tuned for other updates!

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Here's my review. Totally no mercy in the complain section x)

Map Name: The Legends of Arkain the Orc Book
Version: 0,4
Author: Shar Dundred

Terrain[r]
Once more the terrain is extremely simple. This is by far the element that brings the campaign down. Can't really say much about it, there is just a lack of detail. There are cliffs and tiles, barely anything else.
2/5

Gameplay[r]
While I am not being bored by any means, the gameplay is very simple and warcraft like. No unique/fresh missions nor 'advanced' systems/mechanics exist to make it interesting either.

As said, warcraft like, nothing wrong with it. But it still fails to amaze me.
3/5

Story[r]
Found 2 major flaws that I will mention later in this review. But the story is the best element in this campaign series anyway. Pretty good grammar, a bit of detail of their decision making and thoughtprocess.
4/5

Uniqueness[r]
Not really anything new as it's very warcraft-like. I mentioned this earlier so I wont go into more detail.
3/5

Overall[r]
Entertaining, good potential.
3/5

Complains[r]
-During the first mission/chapter it would be somewhat helpful to have a counter for the remaining humans I have to kill. Either via a game message or maybe a multiboard.

-Rather than just randomly killing for invisible treasure that we never see in chapter 1, it would be a more interesting option to have the mission "Pillage - Gather 1000 gold coins for the Chieftain of the Deathbreeze clan" the gold would be gained by killing and by plundering the noble and so on.

-Vanessa is 'raised' by the orc on their Chieftain. By using the word raised it indicates that Vanessa is likely under 10 years old? yet the 'adult' model is used this is something you might want to explain in the dialog when she encounters the orcs.

-When someone says something during chapter 2 Rangul could say something back. For example when you get the deserters from the clan back into the ranks he could answer them with "Do not make the same mistake twice." and when the dwarf hero greets them he could say something like "Well met and farewell weakling.". I think you get where I am coming from.

-On the loading screen to the fourth chapter it reads that they are unaware of the fact that the Darkmind clan escaped. This is a giant flaw, would the imperial command fail to notice that the entire rear guard was oblitirated?! If nothing else there were plenty of oppertunities for any soldier to report back to the command telling them of the assualt of the orcs. Afterall they were screaming "FOR THE DARKMIND CLAN!" at one point.

-Another major story flaw would be the following:
"By defating Moghtar base they will have no other choice but to join you."
I don't see any logic behind this, sure it would gain quite some reputation and respect, but that's by no means enough to force someone into joining. They can fear obliteration by the new formed clan alliance (3 clans at the start of that chapter) but in a way they are safe from it since they are wanted. If they are killed Rangul will grow weaker since he can't have their support and obviously because people die by fighting another clan.

-In general you fail a little on creating an orcish feeling into the dialogs. You have made the orcs use a more rough version of the human way of speaking which is not exactly wrong but it feels lame compared to what I was expecting. Instead of saying "damnint" and "idiot" I was expecting way more savage terms like weakling, fool, mongrel, pink skin, knife ears. (unless you want the orcs to be like Thrall who was raised by humans so that explains his behavour)

-One last complain is that Vanessa is never featured. You put some effort in making her unique and of major political importance during the first 2-3 chapters. And after that she's just a side character.

Reviewed by[r]

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Here's my review. Totally no mercy in the complain section x)

Ohhh, discussion time with Chaosy! Already been waiting for this. Sadly, I have no tea to offer you.

Terrain
Once more the terrain is extremely simple. This is by far the element that brings the campaign down. Can't really say much about it, there is just a lack of detail. There are cliffs and tiles, barely anything else.
2/5

Stop forcing me to search for a terrainer. >.>

Now, for the complain section:

-During the first mission/chapter it would be somewhat helpful to have a counter for the remaining humans I have to kill. Either via a game message or maybe a multiboard.

Funnily, this used to be in the chapter. Don't even know why I removed it. Cookie for you.

-When someone says something during chapter 2 Rangul could say something back. For example when you get the deserters from the clan back into the ranks he could answer them with "Do not make the same mistake twice." and when the dwarf hero greets them he could say something like "Well met and farewell weakling.". I think you get where I am coming from.

I got it, yeah.

-On the loading screen to the fourth chapter it reads that they are unaware of the fact that the Darkmind clan escaped. This is a giant flaw, would the imperial command fail to notice that the entire rear guard was oblitirated?! If nothing else there were plenty of oppertunities for any soldier to report back to the command telling them of the assualt of the orcs. Afterall they were screaming "FOR THE DARKMIND CLAN!" at one point.

They thought that the missing rearguard has been destroyed while the forest was burned to the ground. Since the Imperial command thinks that the Darkmind Clan has been defeated and burned to the ground, they don't even think of the possibility that the Orcs could've survived. Also, they have more pressing matters which are more important to them than a few green skinned raiders (like the Demon invasion).

-Another major story flaw would be the following:
"By defating Moghtar base they will have no other choice but to join you."
I don't see any logic behind this, sure it would gain quite some reputation and respect, but that's by no means enough to force someone into joining. They can fear obliteration by the new formed clan alliance (3 clans at the start of that chapter) but in a way they are safe from it since they are wanted. If they are killed Rangul will grow weaker since he can't have their support and obviously because people die by fighting another clan.

Defeating the Moghtar who assembled a giant force is a sign of strength. Orcs respect strength and since Rangul has proven to be strong enough to defeat a stronger opponent, they believe that he can lead them to victory against the Empire. Although they'll never stop fighting, the Orcs never thought that'd be possible before Rangul showed his power.

-In general you fail a little on creating an orcish feeling into the dialogs. You have made the orcs use a more rough version of the human way of speaking which is not exactly wrong but it feels lame compared to what I was expecting. Instead of saying "damnint" and "idiot" I was expecting way more savage terms like weakling, fool, mongrel, pink skin, knife ears. (unless you want the orcs to be like Thrall who was raised by humans so that explains his behavour)

I see.

-One last complain is that Vanessa is never featured. You put some effort in making her unique and of major political importance during the first 2-3 chapters. And after that she's just a side character.

I know. To make things worse, the chapter featuring her has just been cancelled by myself. I have to make her more important in the Second Book.

Kasrkin

Level 26
Well, after that I'm afraid I'll steal your thunder and say Merry Christmas.

santa.jpg

Were you a heretic this year?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Defeating the Moghtar who assembled a giant force is a sign of strength. Orcs respect strength and since Rangul has proven to be strong enough to defeat a stronger opponent, they believe that he can lead them to victory against the Empire. Although they'll never stop fighting, the Orcs never thought that'd be possible before Rangul showed his power.

You don't have to join a person just because he/she is strong/powerful. In most movies the evil guys got the advantage and seems more powerful etc. Yet the 'good' guys never join them obviously. As I said they will likely gain respect for the person in question and will likely avoid further conflict with them if anything at all.

(repeat)However they should feel safe since Rangul needs them to be alive in order to make them his allies.

Also the fact mentioned in the campaign, some clans are enemies since.. long ago. Just as they'd join forces just because mr.strong shows up. Old habits die hard as they say.

edit: I can imagine more than a few reasons to join someone in a battle to save the world. Greed, expanding territory, glory, hatred/vengeance, loyality and so on. However as you put it they just automatically join you no questions asked. Reason has been given for the Darkmind so that's the exception.
Sorry if I was too harsh x)

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
(repeat)However they should feel safe since Rangul needs them to be alive in order to make them his allies.

He already told the clans in the intro that he intends to conquer the Kingdoms. To do so, he needs them. The Orcs know that he won't harm them if they follow his orders since he needs them.

edit: I can imagine more than a few reasons to join someone in a battle to save the world. Greed, expanding territory, glory, hatred/vengeance, loyality and so on. However as you put it they just automatically join you no questions asked. Reason has been given for the Darkmind so that's the exception.

I *might* consider changing some of it. ;)

Sorry if I was too harsh x)

No need to be sorry for anything. xP

@Kasrkin:
03375614.png

Kasrkin

Level 26
*Comes crawling in, battered and bloodied.*

You know that feel you get after you beat something really difficult but fair? Well I got that and it was frakkin crazy, but also that other feel you get when you complete something awesome and there's nothing else to do....

Heh, I want to see the reaction from this one. *Spits blood, gets up, and walks out humming to himself.*

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
*Comes crawling in, battered and bloodied.*

You know that feel you get after you beat something really difficult but fair? Well I got that and it was frakkin crazy, but also that other feel you get when you complete something awesome and there's nothing else to do....

Heh, I want to see the reaction from this one. *Spits blood, gets up, and walks out humming to himself.*

I think I broke Kasrkin - again. o_O

Progress report
The new Chapter Six is completely done! Once I'm done with the Interlude, the new version will be released.

Level 20
So whats Vannesa's role in the campaign is she only a support character in your campaign that only does bla bla and no actual fighting?
Her appearance has been delayed.It was supposed to be chap 6 but Shar canceled that chap.We have to wait for her appearance a little more i guess.