• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Request help with an ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
The hero i am creating is to have 2 (among other) abilities. The first ability is like a critical strike ability but with a twist, when it procs i want it to leave a buff for 5 seconds. If possible the buff should cause damage over time but thats not important. The second ability is Phoenix strike, a targettable direct damage ability which does X damage or 2X damage if the unit is affected by the critical strike debuff.

The second ability i can create if i can sort out the first ability, a passive "chance on hit" ability which leaves a debuff. I tried this trigger but it didn't work, which i was expecting seeing as critical strike is a passive ability which procs and isnt cast. (note this was just a test so i used faerie fire to see if it worked)

• PPW Cruelty
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Cruelty PPW
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add Faerie Fire to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Druid Of The Talon - Faerie Fire (Target unit of ability being cast)
If you can think of a solution which changes the effect of the passive ability, feel free to suggest it, i'm not all that fussed what it does... crit effect, triggered chance on hit to spawn dummy unit and cast a debuff spell, damage over time? As long as i can make it fit in with the theme of the character (sword master). The important part is that it leaves a debuff which i can use to create the Phoenix Strike ability which does double damage if the target is affected by the debuff.

hmmm perhaps UNIT IS ATTACKED ----- attacking unit = specific hero, random number between 1-100 is < % chance ---- damage target unit for "value based on heros agi" and create dummy unit which casts an altered shadow strike which does 0 additional damage and small damage over time for 5 seconds. Is there a way to make shadow strike not display the amount of damage it deals as floating text?

anyway ima keep playing with and check back later. :)

Last edited:
Level 7
Yea I think finding another abiliiy is the answer. I'd prefer it not be AOE though, the hero focus's on dealing large damage to single targets, the chance on hit ability "Cruelty" would be like a critical strike but it wounds the target which makes them more susceptible to Phoenix Strike.

would...
Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Nuetral Alchemist - Acid Bomb (Target unit of ability being cast)

only affect (Target unit of ability being cast) or would it damage an area around the unit.

Level 15
if you dont need the damage multiplyer of critical strice then simply use the Item Ability "Orb of lightning" . Its a passive chance to purge the enemy by attacking - change it to the ability you want (for example Shadow strike) which has the effect you want.
But keep in mind that you can only use single targeted spells and that autocast abilities like frostarrow will cause your unit to attack twice instead of "casting" (this effect can also be used on purpose) .

Status
Not open for further replies.