• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Aeon of Strife] Releasing new version without overwriting old version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
To whom it may concern,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I am preparing to release the v2.0 of my Star Wars: Battle for Tatooine dog-fighting map. I have made some substantial changes to the fighting system itself, and my concern is that some players would prefer to play the old version. Is there some way to upload the new version of the map without overwriting the old version?

I considered just submitting the new version from scratch, but I'm sure people don't want the Maps section of the Hive cluttered with different versions of what is essentially the same game. I suppose I could put it up on the Pastebin and post a link, but that wouldn't last that long (I don't think).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Darwin

p.s. I also use a protector to get the file size below 8MB for online play, but I'd love to submit an unprotected version so people can see what I've done and loot some of the models that I've collected over the years. Is there a way to do that as well?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Release the new map as a new major version. Major versions should only be released if substantial changes are made to the extent it is as good as a new game.

You can leave the old version as a "final" version unless you plan to develop both in parallel. All future updates could then go to the version 2 map.

I am sure no one will complain unless you start release new major versions every day. If that is the case you either need to revise your versioning procedure or alter your development process to not create so many different things all the time that people want.

Status
Not open for further replies.