• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Re-introducing Bundle State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
This might be a bit technical, but it's very important. If you remember the old site, we had states for every resource (now called bundles) and those were pending, awaiting update, approved and rejected.
Until today we have had a different system. Pending bundles were submitted in a sub repository called "Submissions" and when approved moved into the main repository. If rejected, they were moved into "Substandard" unless they were stolen/inappropriate/broken in which case they got deleted.
With this system, bundles did not have a state, instead they were put in a place named after the state. This is inferior because when looking at the bundle you would have to look where it is located instead of what state it has. Also, pending bundles would only be visible when looking specifically inside of "Submissions".

We have received a lot of feedback about the fact that pending submissions are less visible in the new system. Turns out it's very helpful to interleave submissions with approved bundles to get feedback to the authors and feedback for the moderators/reviewers to make better and faster decisions. It also means that even if we have a big backlog of pending bundles, it's not as serious because they are still visible and as accessible as the approved ones.

Because of this, today we are re-introducing bundle state. It is not 100% as you know it, but it will feel similar enough. Here are the new states:

pending.png
PendingWhen you have submitted a bundle.
awaiting_update.png
Awaiting UpdateA moderator/reviewer has requested that you make some changes.
approved.png
ApprovedYour bundle is approved.
substandard.png
SubstandardYour bundle is low quality / buggy (and never fixed) / a very simple edit.
restricted.png
RestrictedYour bundle is stolen / ripped / broken (and never fixed) / inappropriate.
Bundles will have these icons wherever they are displayed. You will be able to filter between the states in repositories and the search page. This also means that the "Submissions" and "Substandard" sections are going away.

With this new system also comes a new "Moderate" button for moderators/reviewers to simplify the process of going through bundles.

Enjoy.

Level 12
Sounds great! I always end up browsing the submissions and substandard tabs separately if I don't immediately find what I'm looking for. Nice to see this site continuously evolving into more awesome.
Though I wonder, if a bundle is tagged to substandard will it be impossible for it to return to pending status? Because that would mean substandard is somewhat of a death sentence

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Bundles only ever go to substandard if they are never fixed or a very simple edit. Take a footman, remove his sword, submit. That would probably go to substandard. However, if you make something bigger yourself and it has flaws, the moderator puts it in "Awaiting Update" requesting that you fix it. You get endless tries to fix it as long as you actually progress. So yes, it is kind of a "death" sentence, but only in the case that you cannot be helped or didn't really do anything in the first place.

Level 12
Bundle is the new word & it's being forced upon the community, I hate it.

The way Bundle is used here is so misleading & unfortunately I cannot adapt to it.

If looking for 1 individual resource no matter what it is it will always say "Bundle" it makes no sense it's eye cringing.

Bundle should just be a option if the uploader wants to upload another resource in the same pack.

Example: A "resource" has been uploaded, ask the author if they're willing to add "more resources to make it a bundle?"

Really like the icons & the removal of the (too simple & substandard) definitely a breathe of fresh air.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Bundle is the new word & it's being forced upon the community, I hate it.

The way Bundle is used here is so misleading & unfortunately I cannot adapt to it.

If looking for 1 individual resource no matter what it is it will always say "Bundle" it makes no sense it's eye cringing.

Bundle should just be a option if the uploader wants to upload another resource in the same pack.

Example: A "resource" has been uploaded, ask the author if they're willing to add "more resources to make it a bundle?"

Really like the icons & the removal of the (too simple & substandard) definitely a breathe of fresh air.
That's unfortunate. It is going to stay like this. The bundle is basically the thread and the resource is one of possible multiple attachments. I try to keep things consistent by calling it bundle everywhere.

I know that right now we are still thinking of things like we did with the old site. In my view, we haven't really started yet. I plan to have model creators have all their fitting icons merged into their model bundle to serve what should stick together as one.
I love the icons, good job. But why do I now need to scroll down in order to see the whole description of a resource (especially maps)? Being able to only see half a screenshot at a time isn't fun.
Previews (screenshots) aren't part of the description ideally, so that argument falls apart.
In my opinion descriptions are often times far too long. I have however had similar feedback as yours from other people. I really don't want the description to get too long, but may be we can find a compromise by increasing the size of the box a bit instead?
Also, when I try to delete by reporting some of my old shitty stuffs, made back in the years, always a Server Error
That's not supposed to happen. Can you post in Staff Contact with the error you get and we can look into it?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Previews (screenshots) aren't part of the description ideally, so that argument falls apart.
In my opinion descriptions are often times far too long. I have however had similar feedback as yours from other people. I really don't want the description to get too long, but may be we can find a compromise by increasing the size of the box a bit instead?
Well, the site already has a spoiler and hidden tag option. Why not just use that instead?
This might force us to reupload and upload screenshots in smaller size.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

But why do I now need to scroll down in order to see the whole description of a resource (especially maps)? Being able to only see half a screenshot at a time isn't fun.
You can remove the max-height property yourself.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

It is simple CSS...
Stylish:
Code:
.bundle-description { max-height: 1000px; }

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Google Search, commonly referred to as Google Web Search or simply Google, is a web search engine developed by Google. It is the most-used search engine on the World Wide Web.
upload_2016-12-2_16-31-9.png

upload_2016-12-2_16-31-25.png

upload_2016-12-2_16-34-57.png

upload_2016-12-2_16-36-10.png

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I've reread through some descriptions, so if a resource is in Substandard, would it have a chance to return back to Awaiting Update if it was (perhaps the term) suddenly reworked or even Approved?
Sure. There's always a way to get back. Staff Contact.
For how long does a submission stand as "Awaiting Update"?
Until updated ;-).

Level 19
Now now, how do you properly make a search? Let's say I'm searching for one of these black sun elfs that re in the substandard section because they are simple, how do I search a bundle instead of a model? If I search the models, I will end only with the accepted ones, so said model will not appear in the search list.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
@jondrean thanks but I've had enough of extensions, plugins and addons for my Firefox. I've disabled them all because some sites just crashed my browser loading them.

Being able to only see half a screenshot at a time isn't fun
The "good news" is that screenshots can be accessed at the bottom of the map thread's first post by clicking the preview image right above the green Map Info.

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Now now, how do you properly make a search? Let's say I'm searching for one of these black sun elfs that re in the substandard section because they are simple, how do I search a bundle instead of a model? If I search the models, I will end only with the accepted ones, so said model will not appear in the search list.
If you look at the options during search you can select whether to see pending, approved, awaiting update or substandard.
@Ralle
I mean if they don't update it.
Is it gonna stay there for years?
the moderator guidelines say that if nothing happens after three months you're welcome to put it in substandard. But that is not a requirement.

Nice, that new system is indeed cool. While you're at it could you make it possible for people to delete their own resources? Either I'm blind or there is currently no such option.
And by the way, if I want to update one of my currently substandard resources to get it to "approved" state, do I need to contact a moderator or is it automatically put in "pending" again?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Alright, it kind of got annoying scrolling through the new description in a box thing. When you get to the last part of the description/at the bottom of the box, scrolling starts moving the thread upwards instead. The workaround is to just hold the left click on the box's scroll bar and drag the mouse up or down. But then, you'd have to do that with the thread's scroll bar too because if you want to scroll while your cursor is over the description box, guess what happens, yeah, the box's scrollbar moves.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
And by the way, if I want to update one of my currently substandard resources to get it to "approved" state, do I need to contact a moderator or is it automatically put in "pending" again?
Yeah.
Nice, that new system is indeed cool. While you're at it could you make it possible for people to delete their own resources? Either I'm blind or there is currently no such option.
For sure. While you wait, you can use the report button and request it.
Alright, it kind of got annoying scrolling through the new description in a box thing. When you get to the last part of the description/at the bottom of the box, scrolling starts moving the thread upwards instead. The workaround is to just hold the left click on the box's scroll bar and drag the mouse up or down. But then, you'd have to do that with the thread's scroll bar too because if you want to scroll while your cursor is over the description box, guess what happens, yeah, the box's scrollbar moves.
If your cursor is over the leaf borders and scroll, it will scroll past it instead.

Level 49
I like this a lot! Great changes, reminds me of the old system but improved. However, I'm somewhat confused about what happens to rejected resources. Can't they stay hidden, visible only to mods and the uploader, as before? This is good mainly for nostalgia and self-improvement reasons, but I still think it's a shame to simply remove those resources.

Level 26
Tagging people who have expressed similiar opinions earlier in this thread.

@Deolrin @Directive255 @Misha
I think we should hide resources with the "Awaiting update" and "Substandard" from users profiles.
"Restricted" and "Substandard" should only be available for mods and the uploader, by checking the box in the resource section.

This because people don't want to display their past and "failed" or "bad" maps. We've already recieved a bit of messages to the staff, asking for removal of those resources, which is a shame really, as it can be fun to go back and look at your own stuff, but you don't want everybody to access it. It is kinda like awkward pictures of you when you were a kid.

@Hermit @deepstrasz
I would also like to forward the opinion of a few others in this thread, and in other places, and say that the new description box, that is must be scrolled to reveal the entire description should be removed, and descriptions should be shown in their full glory as they were before. The current box is way too small.
Perhaps an anchor could be inserted in the top of the resource page, to quickly get down to the comments, if that was why this description scroll-box was implemented.

Most of the updates were great, but this I think should be changed.
If you agree, please post below so we can know if there are more people thinking the same way!

Last edited:

I think we should hide resources with the "Awaiting update" and "Substandard" from users profiles.
"Restricted" and "Substandard" should only be available for mods and the uploader, by checking the box in the resource section.

This because people don't want to display their past and "failed" or "bad" maps. We've already recieved a bit of messages to the staff, asking for removal of those resources, which is a shame really, as it can be fun to go back and look at your own stuff, but you don't want everybody to access it. It is kinda like awkward pictures of you when you were a kid.

@Hermit @deepstrasz
I would also like to forward the opinion of many others in this thread, and in other places, and say that the new description box, that is must be scrolled to reveal the entire description should be removed, and descriptions should be shown in their full glory as they were before. The current box is way too small.
Perhaps an anchor could be inserted in the top of the resource page, to quickly get down to the comments, if that was why this description scroll-box was implemented.

Most of the updates were great, but this I think should be changed.
If you agree, please post below so we can know if there are more people thinking the same way!

I agree, my user resource tab is full of my past resources that I no longer care or support.

I would also like to forward the opinion of many others in this thread, and in other places, and say that the new description box, that is must be scrolled to reveal the entire description should be removed, and descriptions should be shown in their full glory as they were before.
Yes. The box/limitation makes the description harder to overview. Pasted code in JASS tags is already bigger than the desrcription limit.

Yeah, but some Substandard resources are actually useful if you say, while some are simply an embarrassment.
Why not allow users to choose whether resources to show or hide? Instead of showing or hiding them all together? That way we will still have access to many great, useful stuffs that ended up in the Substandard section, but also be able to hide our embarrassment

Level 32
Yeah, but some Substandard resources are actually useful if you say, while some are simply an embarrassment.
Why not allow users to choose whether resources to show or hide? Instead of showing or hiding them all together? That way we will still have access to many great, useful stuffs that ended up in the Substandard section, but also be able to hide our embarrassment
Would you like substandard resources to be hidden from profiles by default?

Also, having this back feels very nostalgic. Even the moderator rating. Maybe I'll moderate a map for the first time in months ^^

Yeah, would come in handy, but the poll doesn't have option to let users choose-- oh wait, my bad, it's "Default"...
For me, even if I wanted to hide my crappy shame, I still want to scavenge others' Substandard Resource tabs to find for something useful. So... let me change my vote! But first.... make sure we users have choice to display or hide resources by default, even better allowing us to choose which stuff we want to hide or show

Status
Not open for further replies.