• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Race Building Contest #3 - Mini Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, nope! I think your idea is brilliant.. and that's the main reason i'm more impressed by these kind of submissions. Because we started with hardly nothing.

-----------
(P.S = that's an example of what I created so far for the race... still need to make 14 more icons and 1 texture.) + i created some very basic model change (mah spirit wolf and my Tuskarr Giant sea turtle rider)

Attachments

• dsd.png
    dsd.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 134
Level 5
Mr.Goblin said:
all those race will probably wont get my vote, simply because the only job they had to do is to create the race instead of finding a way to create models with the existing one, had to make new icons for their race, had to use warcraft3 model and make some mix with the attachments to make it look good. etc.etc.etc.etc
I pray you're not serious. Using in-game models effectively takes more design talent than just creating whatever you need as you need it. Furthermore, this contest is completely biased towards the artists simply by allowing you to create art for it against people who have no art talent and cannot do so. I hope that you, as an exemplar at this website, will look at more than just "the races that created a race of their own from nothing" when voting.

Level 35
Hey there, nope! I think your idea is brilliant.. and that's the main reason i'm more impressed by these kind of submissions. Because we started with hardly nothing.

-----------
(P.S = that's an example of what I created so far for the race... still need to make 14 more icons and 1 texture.) + i created some very basic model change (mah spirit wolf and my Tuskarr Giant sea turtle rider)

Great - This thing is the main reason I am considering making a entry :thumbs_up:

I doubt I get time to do more then the intended models though - So no special icons most likely.

Level 15
Mr.Goblin, it is people like you that are going to make this contest an epic fail. (Not because of your race, but because of your judging method.) I can almost guarentee you that 90% of the people who vote, won't even take the time test it thoroughly. Instead, most of the people will vote for either Mr.Goblin or Stanakin since their races will contain new icons, skins, and models and will look the coolest. Appearance is about 15% of a race contest. The other 85% is spells, abilities, ideas, concepts, uniqueness, and being free of errors. Most of the voters won't even look at tooltips, or won't even think to look at icon placement. This is why, in order for this contest to succeed, a judge, who actually knows alot about races, must be found.

I'm not saying that this contest will fail due to lack of well made races. I'm saying that this contest will fail because the people who don't have the best race (but do have the coolest in appearance) will probably win.

Level 16
Hell, the way I see it, I would put more emphasis on the overall game play of each race when it comes to voting.

Sure, if a submitter has talents in a particular field it would score bonus marks from me! :) If the coding is clean and good, I'll give some extra marks for that race. If you have good artistic skills and come up with your own skins & icons, extra marks for you too. If you're a modeler and have created models specially for the contest, or have made model edits to suit your race, extra marks here as well!

But all that said, I will still put the most importance on the game play of any particular submitted race. These would include:

1. Game play mechanic. I would personally also deem a race that follows a well made theme to be a good substitute for the lack of game play mechanic.

2. Overall balance, and the diversity of strategies available. Is your race fun, re-playable, and involve some thinking to win, or just the boring-old massing up your army and swarm attack?

3. Hero and unit abilities. How each ability you pick suits a certain unit or hero? Are there illogical choices, ie: a kobold that can cast 'seduction', or a treant that has wind walk are weak design ideas.

There are other points I would take into account as well, but are mostly game play related. Consider a modeler who would create a Giant Colossus, no doubt very cool, only for the creator to give it cheap generic the abilities like critical strike and evasion. It (art value) would have no point.

Level 5
Wraithling said:
Sure, if a submitter has talents in a particular field it would score bonus marks from me! :) If the coding is clean and good, I'll give some extra marks for that race. If you have good artistic skills and come up with your own skins & icons, extra marks for you too. If you're a modeler and have created models specially for the contest, or have made model edits to suit your race, extra marks here as well!
Maybe you just haven't noticed, but this is a race-building contest. The emphasis should be on the race, its mechanics, and the design principles upon which it is built. You should not be able to "earn bonus marks" for making your own models or icons. Everyone knows that shiny, pretty things in the form of art always garner higher scores than in-game stuff. The voting should be done strictly based on the race itself and nothing more, otherwise you are voting from a skewed platform and the voting means nothing.

Level 16
Extra marks are my prerogative. Also I'm not going to be as ignorant as to award up to 5-6% extra marks, nor am I going to be ignorant as to give a zero towards efforts in creating a few good models, or having clean coding/triggerings.

Plus, under the voting criteria of 'Resource Economy' on the main page, it implies 67chrome has given a slight nod to this direction.

What I'm saying is, a little bit is fine. But the rest of my 95% would go towards game play.

Level 5
So what you're saying is that the "extra marks" will have no impact whatsoever, may as well not be given in the first place, and shouldn't even exist. At least we're clear on that. You can say "OMG COOL MODEL" if you want, sure, I don't care, but if it impacts the user you vote for, then it's 'just another victim' of the contest's inherent bias.

Level 15
Exactly. You will get marks in the sense that all your icons, models, and skins fit the race. You should not, however, receive points for making them yourself. Appearance is a very small part of your race though. But every point counts.
I absolutly can't stand seeing people who put (example) the hunters hall building and sacrificial pit in the same race. The look nothing alike in appearance. They do not belong in the same race. There are other ways to make buildings without modeling. So making your own icons, skins and models does have a small benefit. And that is that all buildings, units, etc., will fit the race. But if someone made a race with already existing stuff, but they all suited his race, then he would get the same marks in appearance as the person who made there own stuff.

Pardon my french.. I didn't got understood.

I'm not saying the look is what is important. I'm not saying that using custom models is what makes a race awesome! D:.

I'm just saying that starting with no ingame models or models that you can't download and icons.. is just a waist of time, and I have realise it.

Why I said.. starting with a race with models for it, is an advantage.
Because you don't have to create models and icons to complete that race. Wich is ALOT OF TIME waist to create these missing things, instead of focusing on balancing the race and making spells and upgrade for that race..

I lost a good 6 hours on making icons and textures for my race.. a 6 hours lost in making my race look ''okay''... I could have use that time by making my race more unique with custom spells, upgrades, and by making the gameplay even better.

When I said, i'm more impressed by those who picked a race with few models and icons, it's because they have to dell with the look and the gameplay at the same time.

I hope you understand me now D:

I'm not saying their race will be bad.. just that they had a major advantage for those who picked races like ''furbold'' ''kobold'' ''Tuskarr'' ''spider'' ''hive'' etc.

because we started with only 3 model from warcraft3 and we had to find a way to make a hole race out of it.
(when there's no model of that race found elsewhere).

So I just want to say, for those who haven't picted a hard race, you'd better find a way to make your spell and units look epic cause you wont get alot of point for creativity.

Creativity wasn't the good choice of word... creativity related to how you had to deal with ''no model or icon'' problem...

Level 15
I'm just saying that starting with no ingame models or models that you can't download and icons.. is just a waist of time, and I have realise it.

Making your own stuff is in no way a waste of time. For one, you are creating a crap load of resources for this site, and two, as annoying as it may be, you will probably get a lot of votes for doing so. Although in the eye of the more experienced race makers, you might not get there vote (that is unless you have the best game play aswell) but in the view of the noobs (which will probably make up like 75% of the poll,) you will have a great chance.

Main reason why we need judges

Level 15
I never entered. Today was the first time I posted in this contest. I am still debating entering. If I do, it will be Servants of Hakkar (forest trolls, ya another one, so what, mine will pawn the others, lol) My model choices will be pretty similar to Wazzz's but completely different ideas and gameplay. But I probably won't enter unless a judge is found. One who would rate my race individually and based on gameplay, and not just a "Oh, another forest troll race. Theres already 2. How boring, Im voting for ______ who's race looks awesome."

Level 11

-----------

Soooooo Epic dude. +rep for all the great things you have done :D

Level 15
You don't think I could make a race in 5 days?

lol, just kidding, I started last week. Mainly just abilities left. I'm just not sure if I can do the abilities that I have planned, cause I'm a noob with triggers. But we'll see. Managed to get my defensive system working.

Level 35
I'm not saying the look is what is important. I'm not saying that using custom models is what makes a race awesome! D:.
I'm just saying that starting with no in game models or models that you can't download and icons.. is just a waist of time, and I have realize it.

Why I said.. starting with a race with models for it, is an advantage.
Because you don't have to create models and icons to complete that race. Which is A LOT OF TIME waist to create these missing things, instead of focusing on balancing the race and making spells and upgrade for that race..

I lost a good 6 hours on making icons and textures for my race.. a 6 hours lost in making my race look ''okay''... I could have use that time by making my race more unique with custom spells, upgrades, and by making the gameplay even better.

When I said, I'm more impressed by those who picked a race with few models and icons, it's because they have to deal with the look and the gameplay at the same time.

Creativity wasn't the good choice of word... creativity related to how you had to deal with ''no model or icon'' problem...

I am completely going to agree with you - although I also have the below opinions on the subject - There will always be a reward in doing some original... and really Ice trolls, Trolls, Spiders, Fulborgs.. yea about every race I've seen suggested in here besides the Hivers race idea have been done before (and the idea of using hive person have been used plenty of times before) - So yes I know one wants to do them in another way so they download models to improve it and such. This is why creating your own stuff for a race less known (maybe even not done before) should and shall only affect you positively, else it would be completely senseless.

Making your own stuff is in no way a waste of time. For one, you are creating a crap load of resources for this site, and two, as annoying as it may be, you will probably get a lot of votes for doing so. Although in the eye of the more experienced race makers, you might not get their vote (that is unless you have the best game play as well) but in the view of the noobs (which will probably make up like 75% of the poll,) you will have a great chance.

Main reason why we need judges

I find myself both agreeing and disagreeing. If you make anything - And I mean anything it SHOULD count as a positive point for you. Really you are not only judging on race... what the hell... How do you even intend to do that? If you won't judge what people have spent time on creating themselves then triggers (like your defensive system) and smart tweaking of the object editor shouldn't count either. But fact is that the user spent time on it and it adds to the race (that includes the models) thereby it is a part of the judging criteria.

Besides how can it improve ones chances of winning to make the models yourself? When everyone else can get models as well... It would make sense if you were only allowed to use your own stuff... But when everyone can import models and hereby gain the aspect you disagree to judge by.. the appearance (which in my opinion is very important) then it makes no sense...

Although yes - what I agree with is that well-known users will be effected by some positive attitude toward their work. But again if the less known user makes an awesome race he will still get his reward for doing so (you mention this yourself), reputation won't be enough to give one victory (unless the reputation is well deserved which it is in most cases and their entry therefor is very well made).

I highly recommend going through the previous race-building contests at WC3C. They were allowed to import a maximum of three models or skins, so you'll see how creative you can get... WITHOUT importing.

The one I participated in and won.. I believe it was one the first or one of the very early ones allowed no imports at all! Only the use of the object editor and hereby edits. Now that required some creative thinking, but it didn't not create a increased level of creativity as it made it tougher to do something unique - So I like the concept about this which is my other main reason for considering participating

So what you're saying is that the "extra marks" will have no impact whatsoever, may as well not be given in the first place, and shouldn't even exist. At least we're clear on that. You can say "OMG COOL MODEL" if you want, sure, I don't care, but if it impacts the user you vote for, then it's 'just another victim' of the contest's inherent bias.

Again as I mentioned before.. if everyone can get "Omg Cool Models" then it won't have an effect and only the use of it will... But I agree that the inherent bias will always exists - but more on who the users are then on what they have made (They still made / used it right - therefor it is included as an aspect of their entry).

Finally Mr. Goblin from what you shown so far it seems to be going in an awesome direction and though I have the feeling I've seen this race being done before I can't recall it clearly, so might just be my memory playing tricks.

Keep up the good work everyone.. and even though I mentioned that several of the races have been done before it only makes me more interested in seeing how your have turned out and what have been done to make it special. :thumbs_up:

jesus god.. I made 10 icons today for the competition D: still have 13 more to do.

-Structure upgrade x3
-Tuskarr attack upgrade x3
-Beast protection upgrade x3
-Shaman spell training. x2
-Shaman spell x2 x1
-Spirit wolf spell. x3 x1
-Toundra Protector spell x1

I have been working for the last 6 hours today for making icons D:

Edit = I finaly maneged to make the last icon for my hero.

Attachments

• ss0000.png
    ss0000.png
    270.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Level 35
@Mr. Goblin: Well, I think that's quite a poor opinion in the case of people who aren't modellers or skinners or icon makers. After all, creating a race isn't about creating your own resources to make something completely from scratch, it's about making do with what you've got. That's even what 67Chrome said, and he started this whole thing. So really, if that's going to be your attitude towards this contest, I have to say that I don't care much for your opinion. It's trying to make this an Arts and Crafts contest instead of what it is, which is wrong because it's about creating a good idea for a race, not creating custom icons/skins/models.

Level 35
@Mr. Goblin: Well, I think that's quite a poor opinion in the case of people who aren't modellers or skinners or icon makers. After all, creating a race isn't about creating your own resources to make something completely from scratch.

Well then how about those people gifted in coding? They can make some way more awesome abilities then for instance myself and that would also count positively toward their race.

If nothing of that sort should count in the contest, it should be made like the first where no triggers, no imports and similar was allowed. But as I said before it also did put an annoying limit to ones ideas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice idea for the Spider Townhall :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 15
Appearance shouldn't be excluded completely from judging. What I'm trying to say is that with 100% poll, the winner will most likely be the one with the best appearance. Most of the voters will be noobs who will vote on which race looks the coolest. A smaller number will actually know what to look for in a race. A small number of those probably won't even have the time to test out the races thoroughly. So the noobs vote (based on appearance only) will over power the rest. This is why a judge is needed to prevent this unfair ratio of appearance to gameplay. Appearance should still have a small part (like 15%) but gameplay should make up the majority.

To sum it up, appearance will probably be the determining factor of this contest unless a judge is found who knows what to look for in a race.

Level 16
That much I also expect, thus I second the idea of getting a judge for this. Hell, let's make that 2 judges at least. Failing that, I would wish to see a voting style similar to the one on w3c3.net, where every voter MUST describe what they like/dislike about every race, if they give insufficient reasons or their reasoning appears flimsy, then their votes would be discounted.

Level 35
That much I also expect, thus I second the idea of getting a judge for this. Hell, let's make that 2 judges at least. Failing that, I would wish to see a voting style similar to the one on w3c3.net, where every voter MUST describe what they like/dislike about every race, if they give insufficient reasons or their reasoning appears flimsy, then their votes would be discounted.

Agreed! It also makes participating in a contest a lot more interesting, as you might gain some valuable critic.

Yea I also agree with you Chaos, you just formulated it like you didn't mean it to have any influence at all :wink: But what you just wrote I 100% agree with.

Level 31
Appearance shouldn't be excluded completely from judging. What I'm trying to say is that with 100% poll, the winner will most likely be the one with the best appearance. Most of the voters will be noobs who will vote on which race looks the coolest. A smaller number will actually know what to look for in a race. A small number of those probably won't even have the time to test out the races thoroughly. So the noobs vote (based on appearance only) will over power the rest. This is why a judge is needed to prevent this unfair ratio of appearance to gameplay. Appearance should still have a small part (like 15%) but gameplay should make up the majority.

To sum it up, appearance will probably be the determining factor of this contest unless a judge is found who knows what to look for in a race.

Haha lol then I have a relatively big chance to be good.
I suck at triggering.

guess what, i'm an art-whore and I can't make good triggers... so i'm doing my best to make my race look better with custom icons and textures that I made, instead of Custom spells...:eekani:

I never said only apparence count.. and it's the third time i'm saying it. For me a good race needs this to be unique.

-=Apparence=-
-His own buildings models (like for the orcs/human/NE/undead)
-His own Spell/upgrade icons (like for the orcs/human/NE/undead)

-=Codding/Object Editor=-
-His own upgrades (like for the orcs/human/NE/undead)
-His own unit spells (like for the orcs/human/NE/undead)
-His own units (like for the orcs/human/NE/undead)
-His own unit combos (like for the orcs/human/NE/undead)
-His own defence. (like for the orcs/human/NE/undead)

-=General=-
-All the icons/upgrades/spells/buildings, etc. has to folow the same theme.(like for the orcs/human/NE/undead)

Now, on this.. I can certainly make everything myself + there's the fact I choosed a race with almost no building models and absolutly no Spell/upgrade icons.

So yes for me the apparence is importante because it's how the real world works. The look is the first contact you have with the object, than you get into the details of his mechanisism.:wink:

Now, please, gentlemans let's stop with this debate and show more wip D:

-----------

@Mr. Goblin: Well, I think that's quite a poor opinion in the case of people who aren't modellers or skinners or icon makers.
What about people that can't make triggers like me?! Red Baron said D:

After all, creating a race isn't about creating your own resources to make something completely from scratch, it's about making do with what you've got.
I have texturing and making icons.. and that's the only way I can make my race looks good. (I don't have awesome custom triggered spell too.)

That's even what 67Chrome said, and he started this whole thing. So really, if that's going to be your attitude towards this contest, I have to say that I don't care much for your opinion. It's trying to make this an Arts and Crafts contest instead of what it is, which is wrong because it's about creating a good idea for a race, not creating custom icons/skins/models.

I have my own opinion and I thank you for respecthing it. Tought, you should read my early post, because your opinion and mine aren't that diffrent from each other.

Here's the last WIPs (in the attachments, quite a few units/buildings do not have their final skin/model yet) and some information before the final entry.

Some general stuff that characterizes the Kobold race:
- Fast rescource gathering. Workers being permanently in the gold mine and burrows receiving lumber mean workers hardly have to walk around on the surface world. The pillage ability further increases income.
- Harass-and-Flee tactics: Kobold units are generally fast, with low hit points and high damage output. A few well-placed burrows outside an enemy camp mean a quick escape route for damaged units.
- Kobolds do not need to defend their towns like other races do. Kobold buildings have low hp, are cheap and do not take long to build. When an enemy army attacks, you can simply hide all your workers in burrows and rebuild your town when the enemy has gone.
- Except for the Kobold Hero and Geomancer, no Kobold units use magic. The Siege Beast and Mining Mole can use their abilities infinitely without having to worry about mana.
- Geomancers can summon Rock Elementals, which can double the size of your army if you go mass-geomancer, or provide valueble ranged support otherwise. This only works against armies without AoE spells or anti-magic abilities, though, because Rock Elementals have very low hp.
- Inverted night/day vision.

Kobold Counters:
- Make sure you can see invisible units.
- Kobolds do not have any anti-magic abilities except for their resistant skin upgrade, so summoned units work great against Kobolds.
- Kobolds are weak to rushes because they cannot gather gold and build new workers at the same time, which means the first few minutes of the game, they'll often be virtually goldless.
- Kobolds do not have long range siege weaponry, Towers are very effective against the low-hp kobolds.

Attachments

• KoboldBeastPit.png
    KoboldBeastPit.png
    464.4 KB · Views: 184
  • KoboldWarDen.png
    KoboldWarDen.png
    469.9 KB · Views: 192
  • KoboldBurrowTunnelerHero.png
    KoboldBurrowTunnelerHero.png
    465 KB · Views: 124
  • KoboldBuildings.png
    KoboldBuildings.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 137
The enemy needs to bring a unit with true sight or a hero with dust of appearance or something similair along. Also, I don't think the burrows count as buildings that need to be destroyed for the player to lose. So the kobold player always needs to have at least one visible building alive or he will still lose. If you have only one town, this technique will thus not work.

Level 16
Ah, let me see.. Very decent choices of imported resources (some of them you even made yourself, no doubt), units seem to have enough variety in them, and your race have a game play mechanic. All in all, looking good so far, and I'm adding this to my list of 'Races I'm eager to play'

:)

Level 35
Ah, let me see.. Very decent choices of imported resources (some of them you even made yourself, no doubt), units seem to have enough variety in them, and your race have a game play mechanic. All in all, looking good so far, and I'm adding this to my list of 'Races I'm eager to play'

:)

Same - And also adding them to the Hit lists as Mr. Goblins = Races that are unique and an dangerous enemy for me in the contest. :grin:

Level 11
Aaaah today is the last day of the competition! I forgot ^^
Anyway, here's my incomplete race :))

EDIT: Oh lol, it's not! Anyway, I'll leave the map up. Not my final submission, but meh...

Attachments

• Racebuilding Contest.w3x
    251.4 KB · Views: 76
Level 22
low hp huh? unless they have some sort of regeneration/heal type ability, i can imagine them being completely crushed if they flee from a battle, and the enemy chases them down to their base.
they could also just wait around the kobold camp, but if they saw where the kobold workers disappeared to, they could tell their siege units (if they had any) to manually target the ground where the burrows are.
put pretty nice ideas.

anyone else want an extension...??? else ill have to work my ass off on friday and saturday.

Level 21
Maybe those skeleton fiends are supposed to be used in swarms or as scouts? Brute has 600 which is normal for first unit and archers usually have bellow 400 hp.

I personally don't need extension but there are many late entries and I would hate not to see your imperial regiment.

Level 22
oh dont worry about not seeing it, i might not be able to finish the armored regiment half of it. the infantry half is done, just need to get around to finishing up the hero dude. i got a few of the Armored Regiment units down too. just want some more time to build/test them.

Level 35
@Kercyn: Dude, your race is not playable at all, I'm just happy that it's not yet complete because I want to play a race with MasterHaosis as my hero, but not if he starts at level 9. Atm, there's only 1 building you can actually build, so yea, kinda worrying that someone would submit that out of desparation... -.-

Level 35
@Kercyn: Dude, your race is not playable at all, I'm just happy that it's not yet complete because I want to play a race with MasterHaosis as my hero, but not if he starts at level 9. At the moment, there's only 1 building you can actually build, so yea, kinda worrying that someone would submit that out of desperation... -.-

Well there is times where you wished you just uploaded what you had instead of waiting that extra day to finish, only to discover you got the time wrong. But yea - I would not have done so in this case :xxd:

damn, 3 more days of hard work ahead on balancing my race. :D

7 more icons to make.
-Beast armor upgrade x3
-Sturcture upgrade. x3

and I have to balance every units.
The only problem, is that i'm not good vs the computer, so even at easy I'm losing D:
(I prefered the campaign than playing agains't the computer D:)

So I will need some testers.

(even tought some of my hive mates already did test my map)

so....

Work, Work!

Status
Not open for further replies.