• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Questions about multiple attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello hive ^^. I have been working on a small project that involves a 3rd person camera and arrow keys to control your hero. I have run into an issue when it comes to attacking an enemy target. I am creating an RPG, so the player can decide to use bows, swords, staves, shields and two-handers.

First issue, I want to make it so if you use this ability (let's say it is called strike) you will deal hero damage like a basic auto attack in front of the hero like a small cone. Would it be a smart idea if I used an ability like Carrion Swarm? If not what abilities should I be looking at or does it have to be triggered?

Second issue is kinda like smart casting/auto casting. I would like the hero, when he uses his ability Power Shot (like elun's arrow ability) he shoots the arrow directly in front of him with out having to target a point.

Third issue has to deal with picking up a bow and making the unit's range increase to 600 (up from 100). I have no idea how to do this and I don't think it is possible, if not how do I get around this? Just don't use bows?

Fourth and final issue. I have been using the model "RPG - Blue Knight" created by Vermillion Edict. This model has several attack animations including shooting a bow and slicing with a sword. I am unable to make the hero only use one attack animation when he picks up a bow or sword. I have created items with nothing but the changed the Art - Animation Names to the required animation name and it didn't do anything, he just keeps smacking them with the bow! I have also tried using a ability to change his animations and it doesn't work.

Thank you so much for your time guys, this website is amazing :)

Edit: All of the issues are resolved.

1. Instead of normal hero damage I decided to set it as a set value. So I used the Carrion Swarm ability and modified it.
2. Here is a link on Issue : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/shoot-abillity-226937/
3. Read below
4. I was an Idiot and was putting the wrong tags in the Art - Animation Names.

Last edited:
Level 16
For your third issue, I beleive there is an upgrade which can increase the attack range of a unit.
Simply trigger the item to upgrade the unit's attack range by 500.

In case you don't know, you create a second upgrade with -500 range when the unit drops the
item because you cannot unlearn upgrades.

Example:

• Bow
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit acquires an item
  • Conditions
    • Item - Item types of manipulating item equal to Bow
  • Actions
    • Player - Set level of Bow Upgrade to 1 for Owner of Trigger unit
I'm not sitting at my home computer, so this is all of the top of my head.

Level 16
You cannot "unresearch" upgrades. This makes upgrades not viable if you plan to change state.

The only real way is to swap base unit which is annoying and possibly even leaky.

But I thought you can use upgrades for things using stats (not apply defence upgrade bonus, but maybe add 100 hp, or add 10 damage). This way, you can use a second upgrade and use a negative value to seemingly reverse the effects of the upgrade.

Level 16
If you want the cone ability to deal the same amount of damage as your hero, you need to trigger the ability. If the cone damage is a set amount, you can use Carrion Swarm ability. Btw, you can change the special effect so its not like a green swarm of bats.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
But I thought you can use upgrades for things using stats (not apply defence upgrade bonus, but maybe add 100 hp, or add 10 damage). This way, you can use a second upgrade and use a negative value to seemingly reverse the effects of the upgrade.
The problem is the levels are finite and affect all units that are made to use it for a player. It is not viable to put a large number of levels of upgrade as it will dramaticly slow map load down.

The metomorphisis solution is much neater and has no limit to the number of uses you can perform of it.

For stats like health and damage you can use the item level bug which equivelently generates tome like stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.