• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question about terrain tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi guys,

I am starting to make my first map ( custom campaign ) and I was wondering if it was advisable to use some of the tools available here like UTM. From what I have read, it had been mentioned these tools are too big and not suitable for playable maps. I was wondering, is it advisable for me to just stick with the normal terrain on the world editor?
Many thanks everyone,

Tulee

Level 14
Since you are making a campaign I assume it is single player. If it is single player then I would advise you to use anything you want (within reason) There is no map size limit to single player maps. If it is multiplayer then you need to keep it under 8MB in order to play it on battle.net.

In my campaign I use many of the doodads found in UTM as well as a lot of custom unit models. My campaign is over 100 MB currently, but since it is single player the only thing that matters is how fast it can run on someone's computer.

Level 23
Since you are making a campaign I assume it is single player. If it is single player then I would advise you to use anything you want (within reason) There is no map size limit to single player maps. If it is multiplayer then you need to keep it under 8MB in order to play it on battle.net.

In my campaign I use many of the doodads found in UTM as well as a lot of custom unit models. My campaign is over 100 MB currently, but since it is single player the only thing that matters is how fast it can run on someone's computer.
Yes, my campaign is single player. So can i ask, when you say you use UTM doodads, do you mean you can take specific things out, or is it something that you need to have all the files from ther entire UTM even if you dont use them all (which is what i originally thought)

Level 14
Like Chaosy said you can take things out you don't use. Just delete them in the object editor and delete them from the import manager.

Level 36
Waste of space is one aspect, slowing down the editor is another.

Basically, using the UTM is only advised for people starting to do scenic terrains.
Otherwise you can download the map, look at the doodads, and pick out the ones
you want by exporting the model file with it's appropriate skins and importing
them into another map. You may also want to look at some other maps for other
doodads as well, like the HybrisFactory thread, which is stickied, and some others
that are linked at the bottom of the main post of this thread:

A Guideline to Terraining and the Hive's Terraining Section

Status
Not open for further replies.