• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PSA: All Blizzard games are moving to Steam

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Fantastic news. I am waiting for GoG though since that will probably be the end of the Warcraft III era for sure.

EDIT: with B.net App you can have multiple versions of Warcraft III. From my past experience, Steam is intrusive and doesn't let you have anything but the official stuff.

Level 29
Fantastic news. I am waiting for GoG though since that will probably be the end of the Warcraft III era for sure.
The first two games of Warcraft were also re-released through GOG, which is intended for modern systems.

Even Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition has its own enhanced version with some modern tweaks, but unfortunately, no official online access from Battle.net.

Level 11
The first two games of Warcraft were also re-released through GOG, which is intended for modern systems.

Even Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition has its own enhanced version with some modern tweaks, but unfortunately, no official online access from Battle.net.
Warcraft 1 they didn't even care to use unfinished WinWar, make the CD use the redbook soundtrack which MAC uses it alongside a higher res output since mac puts War 1 into 640x480, and the dosbox settings are all wrong, worse is that is stock dosbox, not ECE or X.

Level 1
Is this the one involving MS and Phil Spencer? I read an article several days ago that they think it was wrong not to induct them into Steam — something like it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I suspect this is more a case of keeping market access high. Someone who has not played a Blizzard game is unlikely to start playing a Blizzard game due to not being on the BattleNet platform at all. On the other hand a lot more people have played a game on steam and so if steam sells Blizzard games they might be more inclined to buy or even see such a game and so potentially have more sales.

Especially for games in competitive market segments like Hearthstone and Overwatch 2 it is pretty much critical they keep their potential player audience as large as possible to stay competitive.