• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project: Warcraft 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Warcraft 2000
A Starcraft II Campaign

Warcraft 2000 is a first-person action/adventure game, combining the pure action and fun of a first-person-shooter, with the intellectual challenge of a puzzle-solving game. In this campaign, players take control of Malgar, an orc warrior, and battle their way through hordes of enemies, mind-bending puzzles, and epic bosses. Players will journey across five different worlds, each lavishly terrained to enhance the first-person experience.

A great source of inspiration for this campaign was the Metroid Prime series. As it is, this game draws heavily from the elements of that series. At the same time, I wanted to combine this with elements from other first-person games. Below are the results of some of my more productive brainstorms for this project.

One thousand years after the events of World of Warcraft, the world of Azeroth lay in ruins. Torn by the strife of hundreds of wars fought between its races, the planet had become a barren wasteland with a barely breathable atmosphere. When the citizens of Azeroth crawled out of their bunkers and saw what had happened to their world, they knew that they could no longer live there. And so, united by a common purpose, the people of Azeroth worked together to build a massive ship, which would carry them away from their dying world, to a new home. Finally, after years of toil, the ship was ready, and took all the citizens who had survived in its massive hull, as it lifted off to leave Azeroth forever.
For many years, the starship, travelling through space, searched for a planet suitable for colonization. Finally, it found a world with fertile soil, tolerable atmospheric levels, and much primitive flora and fauna. After the first scouts reported in, they quickly began to colonize the world, building settlements across its largest continent. They named the planet New Azeroth.
Now, more than fifty years after the first colonists set foot on New Azeroth, the old settlements are growing into grand, aspiring cities, and new towns are being established by brave explorers. However, while all this has been going on, an old enemy has been watching the citizens of New Azeroth, waiting for the perfect time to strike. And now, the Burning Legion has come to New Azeroth to take its horrible revenge.

Weapons: Acquiring, shooting, aiming, and… scanning?
Weapons are basically the most essential part of the game. First off, I want to talk about the amount of weapons that this game will include. I was having trouble deciding how many weapons I wanted to include in the game. Did I want to throw in a large variety of weapons, so that the player could develop their own play style, but maybe never use quite a few of the weapons, or stick with a low number of weapons, all essential to completing the game? Eventually, I decided to go with a relatively low number of weapons, each of which would be unique, and necessary to complete the game.
Now, on to the business of actually acquiring weapons (and ammunition for them). I was torn on this issue as well. I couldn’t decide whether I wanted all weapons to have a unique type of ammo, or if I only wanted one or two weapons to have ammo, the rest able to fire infinitely. I finally decided upon the latter, because it seemed to me that in a game where all weapons are essential, having a different type of ammo for each weapon would probably make the game way too complicated. So, I decided to only have two of the seven weapons in the game use ammo. Weapons are found throughout the game. Once you have acquired a weapon, you never need to pick it up again. You always have it with you, even if it is empty.
As for aiming weapons, I found this to be one of the hardest choices I had to make, and eventually ended up compromising. On the one hand, I thought that the ability to lock on to targets in the Metroid Prime series really sped up the game, and worked perfectly with the action/adventure style. However, I did also want to somehow include the dynamic of having to aim properly. I eventually decided to make it so that some weapons can lock on to targets, while others cannot.
Finally, scanning. This was something that I was hesitant about, at first, but warmed up to later. I really liked the feature of being able to scan things with the scan visor in Metroid Prime. However, when thinking about how to implement this feature into the game, I realized, that if I were to include visors, on top of everything else, the game would become way too complicated. So, I decided to make the scanner a weapon. You simply equip the scanner (using the appropriate key), lock it onto a scannable target, and press the fire button. Once the object is scanned, an entry will appear on your screen and be added to your logbook.

Armor: Health, suits, shields, and how they affect gameplay.
A first-person game like this is no fun if you don’t have any health to keep track of. What I wanted to do for this was combine the health system of Metroid (being able to upgrade your health capacity with items), with the health system in Halo (having a relatively small amount of health, which regenerates if you don’t take damage for a while.) So, I did just that. I made it so that , while a player may increase their health throughout the game, these upgrades only increase health slightly. Health regenerates at a medium rate if you don’t take damage for a time. Enemies do not drop pickups which restore health, although you may find health packs (which increase your rate of health regen for a short time) if you break open certain containers. A meter at the top of your screen will show you how much health you have. The meter indicates how much damage your armor has taken. When the meter reaches zero, your armor has been weakened to the point where a blow from anything can kill you.
Suits were something which I definitely wanted to bring in from the Metroid series. I liked the idea of suits not only increasing armor, but also allowing access to places that would normally have been off limits. What I wanted to do in this game was expand upon that idea. For example, instead of having one suit give resistance to both extreme heat and extreme cold, I wanted the two to come separately with two different suits.
The shield was one of my favorite new ideas to introduce to this game. The shield uses a device in Malgar’s left arm to create a circular wall of force in front of Malgar. When the shield is up, a separate health meter appears below Malgar’s health meter, representing how much damage the shield can take. You are rendered immobile while holding the shield in front of you, although you can still shoot around it and turn. The shield leaves you vulnerable to attacks from behind, but is very helpful in many fights. When the shield is turned off (or broken all the way through), it disappears and allows free movement again. While the shield is off, it automatically regenerates. The more damage the shield takes before it turns off, the longer it takes to fully regenerate. In addition, the shield’s hit points can be increased throughout the game by finding certain items. There are also several upgrades to the shield which remove several of its drawbacks later in the game.

Movement: Ropes, Ladders, Jumping, and crawling
Movement in this game is achieved in the usual fashion, with the arrow keys, using the left and right keys to turn, and the up and down keys to move backward and forward. When locked on to a target, however, movement is different. While the up and down keys still move Malgar backward and forward, the left and right keys move Malgar sideways around the target. The player may also look up and down with the W and S keys (may change).
Firstly, on the subject of jumping, I definitely wanted to incorporate jumping as one of the key elements in this game, as it is in the Metroid series. Starcraft 2 is definitely the perfect engine to make this in, as its physics system makes both the actual act of jumping, and then falling much easier to execute. Strafing is also achieved the same way it is in Metroid Prime, by jumping sideways around a target. Players will face many challenges that require them to jump, often in unorthodox ways, and also find several upgrades that increase their jumping ability.
Now, on to the subject of crawling. I debated whether or not I wanted to include a system like Metroid Prime’s Morph Ball system, but eventually decided not to, as that particular aspect of the Metroid series was one which I felt was Metroid’s own, and not mine to take. So, instead, Malgar will crawl when he encounters a low space. While crawling, players view Malgar in third-person. Movement while crawling is limited. The movement speed is much slower, and, while Malgar is still able to fire his basic laser, he is not able to fire any other weapons, and cannot move while he fires.
Finally, we move on to one of my favorite features of the game, ropes and ladders. I wanted to include something like the grapple beam into the game, and definitely wanted to do something like the ladder system in Metroid: Fusion. The answers were Ropes and Ladders. Ladders work very much like they did in Metroid: Fusion. When Malgar grips onto a ladder, the player is immediately given a third-person, side-on view of Malgar. The player uses the up and down arrow keys to move Malgar up and down the ladder. At any point, while climbing, the player may press the appropriate key (left or right) to make Malgar stop moving, firmly grip the ladder with his feet and left hand, and face away from the ladder, pointing his weapon in that direction, allowing the player to fire. The W and S keys (may change) are used to aim the weapon. When facing away from a ladder, player may also jump away from the ladder. Ropes were a bit more difficult to decide on. I couldn’t decide whether or not I wanted swinging from ropes to be in the first-person, as it was with the grapple beam in Metroid Prime, or in side-on in the third-person, as in Super Metroid. Eventually, I decided on the latter, as it seemed more fun, and allowed for more creative things to do with swinging from ropes. So, when a player approaches a rope and jumps up to grab it, they are given a side-on, third-person view of Malgar as he swings. While swinging, a player may use the up and down arrow keys to move up and down a rope, and the left and right arrow keys to swing the rope. While it does take some practice to master, if the left and right keys are pressed at the correct point while swinging, the player can swing across massive distances. When a player presses the jump key, they release the rope, and, if they are in mid-swing, carry the momentum of that swing, launching them across great distances, if timed correctly.

Grenades: Useful things to throw, but not good for your health.
I always liked the idea of incorporating grenades into this mod. Since this game doesn’t have the Morph Ball, grenades really act as a replacement to power bombs. At any given time, a player may hold a certain number of grenades, determined by how many expansions they have found. Grenade supply can be replenished by finding grenade packs in certain containers. When thrown, a grenade will explode shortly after it lands, dealing massive AOE damage. A player must be careful not to get too close to a grenade, or they, too, will take damage. Grenades are also very useful for destroying large obstacles.

Spells: Acquiring, and using
Spells are one of the most unique features of this game. There are seven spells which can be found throughout the game, though only two of them are needed to complete the game. However, finding the other five spells will seriously increase your final score. To use a spell, you must first select it with the appropriate key. Once a spell is selected, you must then begin charging mana for that spell. To charge mana for a spell, you simply press the appropriate key. Mana charges at a different rate depending on which spell you’re using. A meter on the side of your screen will indicate how much mana has been charged. Two lines are drawn along this meter, dividing it into three sections. While mana is in the first section, the spell cannot be used, as it requires more mana. While mana is in the second section, the spell can be used at normal power. When the amount of mana reaches the third section, the spell will be twice as powerful when used.

Gameplay Modes: Difficulty, Challenge, and rewards.
One thing I definitely wanted to implement in this game was a cool reward system, to add to replayability and make the game more fun and challenging in general. On the one hand, I liked the system in the Metroid series, where you got different rewards based on the amount of items you collected (and in the case of the 2D games, how long it took you). However, I wanted to expand upon this. After all, the more items you collect, the easier the game becomes. Therefore, I came up with two main gameplay modes, Collection and Survival. In Collection mode, the goal of the game is to collect as many items as you can find before the end of the game. When you finish, you final score is displayed to you, and you are given whatever rewards go along with your score. Survival is the exact opposite of Collection. In this mode, your goal is to collect as few items as possible and still survive the game. So, a 100% score would mean that you made it through the game without picking up any items beyond the upgrades necessary to complete the game. Different rewards would be offered for each mode.
In addition to Collection and Survival, the game also comes with a Normal and a Hard mode. Hard mode is unlocked by completing Normal mode, and has much greater rewards than Normal mode.
On the subject of the rewards themselves, I haven’t yet decided what will be offered as rewards. I never quite liked the short end-of-game cinematics and concept art offered in the Metroid games, so I want to offer something new and unique (no, NOT money!) I’m not sure if the Battle.net reward system works with custom maps and campaigns, or only with melee matches and the actual main campaign. If it does work with custom campaigns, then I’ll probably offer portraits and decals as rewards, though, like I said, it depends on how the Battle.net reward system works.

Post your ideas for gameplay features and mechanics!

Malgar:
The hero of this game, Malgar is an orc warrior of the third generation of colonists. Orphaned at a young age when his parents died of a then uncured disease, Malgar was taken under the wing of an old, first-generation explorer named Gar’gash. Gar’gash taught Malgar to love the heritage of their great race, and taught him both the ways of the warrior and the shaman. Eventually, Malgar joined the orc military, and quickly rose through the ranks as he explored the most dangerous regions of New Azeroth, and saved many a town from strange, rampaging beasts. Eventually, Malgar was invited to join the Council of Guardians, an organization sworn to protect New Azeroth, and ensure that the races never fall into the old ways of war. Formed of the most elite soldiers on New Azeroth, it was considered the highest honor to be on the council. While Malgar is not the head of the council (due to his fiery temper and trust of only his own intuition), he is almost always their first and last response to everything.

More to be revealed…

Weapons:
Basic Laser:
The basic laser is Malgar’s first and most trusted weapon. A simple little gun capable of firing a concentrated beam of light, the basic laser does excellent damage against unprotected targets, frying them easily. However, the laser is not nearly as effective against armored targets, especially ones wearing reflective armor. The laser does have a slight cooldown (about 0.1 seconds) before it can be fired again.

Suits:
Combat Suit:
Malgar starts off with a fairly basic combat suit, with only a few differences from the combat armor of any other orc soldier. However, where this suit is different, it is far superior. The suit includes a fully working computer system, rudimentary life support, and several parts which allow it to interface with almost any electronic device on some level. The basic suit comes with:
Full body armor made mainly of steel. The armor covers all of Malgar’s body, and, due to its design, barely hinders his movement at all, although it is still heavy to wear.
An extremely small fusion reactor, fusing a relatively small supply of hydrogen to create a massive amount of energy. The reactor is housed within a special device capable of resisting the extreme energy, and redirecting it to two nodes which convert it into energy for the suit to use. It is estimated that even if the suit were to use all its abilities at maximum capacity, it would still take this reactor one hundred years to use up its supply of hydrogen.
A fully functional energy shield generator located within the left arm.
A complete, internal computer interface. Malgar is displayed his vital stats, given a radar, threat meter, and complete log of all he encounters.
A full scanning mechanism. When the scanner is ordered to scan an object, it instantly gathers all information it can about the object, and searches for any matching data within the database. If the data matches an entry, it displays the information contained within that entry. If the data does not match, it creates a new entry, and logs all info it can gather. If the object being scanned is an electronic device, the scanner will attempt to interface remotely.
Full weapons upgrade support system within the suit. To upgrade the suit, or allow it to use a new weapon, the suit needs only to receive the proper data, and nanobots within the suit instantly go to work rebuilding it from the inside out until it fits the new model.
Support for any form of magic. The suit is capable of channeling almost any form of magic, and does not hinder any known type of magic.

More to be revealed…

Will this Campaign be free?
It depends, really. If the game doesn’t turn out the way I want it to, or isn’t as good as I hoped, then yes, it will be free. However, if the final version meets my standards, then I will probably declare it a premium map. However, whatever the circumstances, I will definitely be releasing a free demo so that people can decide whether they want to play or not. Also, if I do charge money for this campaign, I will definitely a) split the profits equally among my team (if I have one), and b) donate 50% of my share (and anything any other members of the team are willing to chip in) to charity.

Is this a team project?
I certainly hope that it will be a team project. Something this big needs multiple hands to work on it. Also, I’d personally feel more comfortable in my main fields of Terraining, story/lore, and ideas, so that I don’t have to branch out into the new fields of Modeling and Coding, both of which this project need much of.

Will there be any sequels?
That depends, really. While I do have two sequels planned, it really comes down to how long it takes to make this campaign. My hope is that this campaign will finish before Heart of the Swarm (the first expansion) releases. Hopefully, I/we’ll be able to release each sequel shortly after its corresponding expansion. So for example, a couple months after Heart of the Swarm releases, I/we would release Warcraft 2000: Fleshlings (yes, this is the planned title), and then, after Legacy of the Void releases, Warcraft 2000: Burning Fate. However, if this campaign takes a really long time to make, then there probably won’t be any sequels.

Will there be a Multiplayer Component to this Game?
Hopefully. While the actual campaign itself will not come with a multiplayer component (I doubt that that’s even possible with Starcraft 2), I could see the possibility of releasing several multiplayer maps after the initial release of the campaign. It would be a fairly easy matter of copying the game’s systems into these maps and then altering them slightly to suit multiplayer gameplay. If I/we do get around to making multiplayer maps, I would like to incorporate two modes of multiplayer gameplay. In the first mode, deathmatch, players would either play FFA or in teams of up to four, trying to kill the enemy players. The winner would be whoever reached a certain number of kills first. In the second mode, Co-op, a single team of up to six players would experience a mini-campaign, battling monsters and bosses cooperatively.

Submit your questions, and if I like them, I’ll answer them here in the main post!

Status
Not open for further replies.