• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project RPG Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
5f50co.png

This is a future hosted project @ Warcraft 3 Creations.

The idea of this project is to revolutionize the generic RPG genre and take it beyond mindless, repetitive killing and leveling up, obtaining items and the occasional quest. What I plan to do is make a RPG that actually lives up to its name-- Role Playing Game.

Why do this? Well I am sick of every single RPG being a highly addictive never-ending strive to have a few more stat points than some other guy so you can button mash his face off in the arena. Sure, DND has done it before, but never on the computer. Sure, there is DND online and Neverwinter Nights, but even that's not quite enough because it's still leveling up.

My main concern is to at least make a RPG that makes sense. I don't understand why if you pick up a loaf of bread, which somehow appeared on a wolf, that you somehow can't eat it because you are not powerful to withstand the might of the holy bread. Apparently the wolf wasn't either, because he was level 40 and the item was level 45. What the hell? And take for example World of Warcraft. The other day I was playing and I killed a skeleton who was wielding an axe. He dropped a GUN. ?!@#@#?!@??? And another time, I killed some really powerful firelord guy with a huge fiery sword, and did I get the sword? No. Did I get his fire armor of death? No. I got some embers and a lousy ring of +10 intelligence or something. And since when does a ring make you smarter? I wish I had one of those. Just put it on before I go into an exam, and ace it, all because of my ring of IQ.

Anyways, now that you've read the huge block of text, here are the features I am going to add (will be updated).

ITEMS:
- Recipe system. I really like this and I'd love to see it in RPGs.
- Crafting. With the help of a master blacksmith or enchanter, you can make anything, for a price, or you can just do it yourself.
- Demonic Artifacts. This is a new concept where if you find a Demonic Artifact, it is locked in a small gemstone. If you get it unlocked and then use the item, a menu will pop up, and you can select what you want it to be. For example, for a mage, you might want to pick the spellblade option, and for a warrior, the fire blade. If you fuxx it up, you can turn it back into a stone and re-do the process.
- No leveled items-- you can use any item at any time, so long as you are strong enough to kill the monster yourself! Sure this might be "rigged" but who's counting?

ABILITIES:
- No leveled abilities. You don't learn hero abilities, hell, you don't even have a hero. You pick up spell books or pay to be taught them at the University.
- Everything original. Abilities won't be the way they are in WC3. That's all I can say now because I haven't quite figured it out yet =)

HEROES:
- Your hero is a normal unit. Or multiple units. Their stats will be held in a spell book ability, where you can check the level of each stat.
- When your hero dies, it doesn't just get resurrected like in other RPGs because that makes no sense. If you die, you become a ghost, and you have to do a quest to come back. Don't worry-- it's not THAT easy to die =)

--More to be added later--
If you are interested in working on this project, go to this thread: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=703484
If you don't want to join but just submit ideas, go ahead.

Last edited:
Level 15
Where art' thou' screenshots? I WANT TO SEE THEM. Your absolutely right about the RPG things. I SO WANT TO SEE THIS BABY IN ACTION.

Level 4
This looks like a VERY unstable soap bubble. Heck, I think that this project will turn out to be your avid-day RPG map. Before even mentioning that it's "Revolutionising" in some way, make a clear note of what this map will feature. Now all I see is something already featured in other maps, but this time these separate ideas are going to be compiled into one single mass. Nothing fap worth actually.

P.S. Current Terrain sceenshot is kinda lifeless. But kidies on B.Net tend to misslook such things, so no need for you to make it look better.

Level 8
It looks pretty good so far. =]
But what makes me mad is when everyone is always all "OMG SCREENSHOTS!"
Sure, screenshots are nice, but people, come on, let the man work, not worry about screenshots.
altho, screenshots feed the crowds hunger for your map, just a bit, it tells us a bit about progress.
So far the terrain looks nice, keep up the good work man.
-Calvin

Level 36
This looks like a VERY unstable soap bubble. Heck, I think that this project will turn out to be your avid-day RPG map. Before even mentioning that it's "Revolutionising" in some way, make a clear note of what this map will feature. Now all I see is something already featured in other maps, but this time these separate ideas are going to be compiled into one single mass. Nothing fap worth actually.

P.S. Current Terrain sceenshot is kinda lifeless. But kidies on B.Net tend to misslook such things, so no need for you to make it look better.

Hm. I see where you are coming from, but honestly, you are staring at the earliest stages of a WIP and expecting it to be complete. The terrain in that screenshot is maybe 25% finished, and the whole concept isn't even done yet.

Level 7
Wow. Looks fantasic.

I just started to work on a multi-player RPG of my own. I'm fumbling my way through comlicated triggers though.

But your one looks great!

Level 15
Yeah. There is a good (correction, GREAT) camera system I know of. I don't recall the one who made the system, but I have it (in both JASS and GUI formats [same functions, I prefer GUI out of preference]). I'll link it soon... oh, and add a new combat system. Make it something like in Age of Conan: Hyborian Wars, where you click a key to attack in a certain direction or style. I'm tired of the overused 'right click to auto-rape' thing.

Level 10
I'm pretty sure void has the
I)eadnerzhul said:
the overused 'right click to auto-rape' thing
taken care of. As you see in the one screeny, notice no attack ability, but an ability that will replace it. (so you can't just leave yourself in the middle of a group of monsters and fight back)

Can't wait to see the mountains shot.

Level 10
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid, it being like all of those other RPGs. But I find single player RPGs on warcraft are boring, and nobody really plays them, and if I wanted to play a single player RPG I would make one with hi-res doodads or just go play Oblivion.

Hmm. There are currently only about 2-3 RPGs on BNet frequently hosted. It will be very hard for u to make people on Bnet playing your map.

Status
Not open for further replies.