• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Playing a sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I couldn't find a tutorial on playing sounds in game, so I thought it might be as easy as it looked:

• Sound - Play Doodad_PortZionCrusherDoodadWorkImpact for (All players) on Car with Z offset 0.0 (at 100.0% volume, skip the first 0.0 seconds)
But that produced no sound. Is there a sound editor of some kind, like the WC3 editor?

Level 14
The "Sounds" catalog in the data editor.

I'm afraid I understated my own ignorance. I have now found the sound I want:

Doodad_PortZionCrusherDoodadWorkImpact

... but when I put in this line:

• Sound - Play Doodad_PortZionCrusherDoodadWorkImpact for (All players) on Car with Z offset 0.0 (at 100.0% volume, skip the first 0.0 seconds)
on my Car unit and I hear nothing. I've also tried playing it at the point location of the Car, and that didn't work either.

In WC3 you had to select the sound files you wanted to use in the editor. I can't seem to find any way of doing that in SC2. Do you have to mark sounds to be used?

Level 14
Why not attach a sound actor to the unit like most passive sounds? You could use actor messages to toggle sounds on and off (if you set the events properly).

In short, I'm not sure how to do that. I find the data editor insanely hard to use, and have been triggering most of my effects so far. Even so, there has to be a way to just play a sound at a point, right? The action is right there but doesn't seem to work.

*****************EDIT******************

I discovered the problem. I had moved the camera up in the air so much that no sounds can be heard. I can fix it by playing the sound 60 - points in the air for everything, but that's kind of annoying. I then looked elsewhere on the forums and found the answer. It's here for others with this problem:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-not-playing-when-camera-too-far-away-211586/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.