• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Need Info] Permanent Models/Actors (Special Effects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So I made an actor with a model and attached it to a tower.

I have handled the site operations and the model succesfully appears by simply using the event Unit Birth -> Create.

However, I would like to make the model permanent, or at least to only dissapear upon unit death. So far the model dissapears after the "stand" animation is done which is only around 3 seconds.

Thanks in advance!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Remove the destroy action in response to the animation completing. If the animation is not set to loop (sounds like it) then you need to start it again once it is finished.

Keep the destroy action in response to the "orphaned" event. This is so that the actor is destroyed when its host model is destroyed. Without that it will cause an actor leak.

Level 8
Thanks for your responses!

I'm very sorry to say that I am still unsuccesful in spite of your advice.

Since I'm rather new to SC2 Data Editor and have limited experience with Actor's Event Data, I'm afraid I need more specific details. I somewhat understand how it works and I did find the elements you were both refering to. Nothing worked for me though :(

I hope it's not too much to ask for a step by step guide? Or at least a description of how the full event looks - such as the complete "Animation Play" event with all the right terms. I think I can work my way from there.

Thanks again.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
However, I would like to make the model permanent, or at least to only dissapear upon unit death. So far the model dissapears after the "stand" animation is done which is only around 3 seconds.
Could I have a map demonstrating this? I could then modify the events in it until they work and then post them as well as explaining why/how they work.

Currently from your description I am not sure where the destruction event is coming from which is why I need to see it in the editor.

Level 8
I know it's been a while since I last attended to this thread.
I had meanwhile solved the problem by using a Buff using the actor's "Behavior ON - Create" event. Only because I couldn't figure it out otherwise which is a little embarassing.

For now I consider my problem solved, but I will return to learn more about actor Events. Hopefully by that time I will be able to understand more.

Thanks to both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.