• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PC hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Was thinking about getting a new hard drive for my pc. I found an internal hard drive that I thought would be good to have so I was going to buy it. Not sure thought if their are certain requirements for a pc memory wise or anything else. I'm guessing there is and that my pc wont be able to power it.

512 mb of RAM

Hard Drive is 650 gigs.

(And yes I know "get a new computer" Can't afford and wanted to get this)

Thanks guys.

Level 11
Well you ofcourse need a new cable for that HDD if you're not going to replace your old one.
If you got an IDE HDD in your PC at the moment and you buy a S-ATA HDD, you will need another cable and your motherboard should support S-ATA.

If you want to add a new one, be sure that there is space for a new one. (If you've got enough cables etc.)

Level 11
I know, but the last time I saw a computer with 512mb of RAM, it was a Pentium 3

Most Pentium 4's had 1gb of RAM in 2002

Orly? I used a Pentium 4 1Ghz processor with only 512mb RAM the last few years until I got a "newer" PC recently.
You probably won't think that, but there are quite a few old PC's out there that are even worse - and people are still using it without any problems.

Level 15
There is no 1ghz Pentium 4, lowest they go is 1.3ghz.

Are you thinking Pentium 3? Or just got the mhz wrong, anyways, did yours have SATA AND the 512mb of RAM? SATA was a high end component in 02, so the thought of them together is weird.

BTW, they had 3ghz Pentium 4's in late 02

Level 15
My brothers are playing SC on an 8 year old P4 with 512MB of RAM as i type this up. :p

The only requirements for getting a new HDD are basically whether or not your Motherboard supports the type of HDD you're planning on getting (IDE, SATA, SATAII) and Power requirements.

Level 11
There is no 1ghz Pentium 4, lowest they go is 1.3ghz.

Are you thinking Pentium 3? Or just got the mhz wrong, anyways, did yours have SATA AND the 512mb of RAM? SATA was a high end component in 02, so the thought of them together is weird.

BTW, they had 3ghz Pentium 4's in late 02

It were 1.6ghz, brainlag :wink:
And I don't remember whether the PC had SATA or not, well I could look as he's still standing next to me, but I'm just too damn lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.