• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Arena] Outerworld Arena ALPHA v.0.75

Level 6
Hello folks from all the Hive! I'm Fabiano Silva, also known as Barbafire (annoucing myself for one more time), and I'm coming here to announce my project, previously called "Gladiator Map for War3": Outerworld Arena!

Project Idea (already posted here at Hive, and copied right below):

I want to create a map, strongly inspirated in Orc Gladiators, and Legendary Gladiators. I want to pick the balance and teamplay that we have in Orc Gladiators, and mix with the custom way we play Legendary Gladiators.

===================================

For those who don't know Orc Gladiators, we play as slaves, and we need to survive waves of enemies that enters the arena to kill us. It has a very strong teamplay, because it is difficult!

For those who don't know Legendary Gladiators, we play as gladiators, and we have a slot in team 2 named "Imperial Director". We have a bunch of heroes to choose, and we need to survive the waves of enemies that the Imperial Director sends. The Imperial Director has the mission to choose the challenge that the other players will face, and he has a bunch of "Monster Shops", where he chooses which enemies he will send. This map doesn't have a play time limit defined, because it doesn't have an AI to do that. The game ends when gladiators lose all their lives, or if the Imperial Director (An enemy called like this) dies.

==================================

I want to fix most of the errors and bugs that I think Legendary Gladiators has (And I think it has A LOT, but the map is still funny to play), and mix with the strong teamplay of Orc Gladiators.

Some of resources that my map will have:

1. Gladiators Mode, where all players are slaves, and they need to survive inside the arena (similarly as Orc Gladiators);

2. Director's Mode (not sure about this name), where one player will own the arena, and need to send enemies to other players (similarly to Legendary Gladiators);

3. Four types of heroes (Tank, Hard Suport, Soft Suport and Carrier);

4. Difficulty set at the start of the game that affects everyone, except slaves and its minions;

5. Solo play in both modes (Basic AI when playing as Director; Balanced AI when playing as slaves);

6. Heroes with rank. When you have enough level, you can rank up your hero, receiving a stronger version of that hero, and a new ability (Up to Tier 3);

=====================================

Playing as slaves, players must teamplay to achieve victory. They need to pick heroes to balance the whole team, choose wisely which items need to be bought, and try not to die often inside the arena, even using ankhs (because they cost, and you will lose money buying again).

Playing as Director, the player must send balanced waves of creatures, and he can mix up to create diferent kinds of enemies waves. He will have available, tons of creatures to challenge slaves; items shop to reward players and equip bosses; a secret vault with unique items, to use with bosses or reward players; a secret prison, where unique and huge bosses are trapped (to give more emotion during a play =D).

======================================

What I expect to achieve with this idea? Well, personally speaking:

1. First, I want to prove that I'm capable to create a good mod, that is enjoyable.
2. Second, I want to create something that, in past, I wasn't able to make, and I still desire it.

Now talking about the mod, I want a map that:

1. Have no broken heroes, with unbalanced abilities;
2. Have no broken gameplay, like overpowering defeating one or tons of enemies easily;
3. Have an option to play solo (first, because today we don't have a lot of players that play warcraft; second, some good maps simply don't let you play if you don't have another player playing with you, or to suceed, you need a full room [like Twilight's Eve ORPG or Resident Evil Nightmares]);

==========

Outerworld Arena ALPHA v.0.75

Description
Inspired by maps like Legendary Gladiators and Orc Gladiators, Outerworld Arena puts you in the shoes of fighters in an atypical arena, forcing you to fight for your survival, facing masses of enemies looking to kill you!

History
You are stuck. An unknown location, for an unknown reason, forced to fight for your life in an arena that is unfair to you. His soul, which roams the place as if in a prison, is forced to choose a receptacle every time the arena is used. The armies marching into the arena need to be defeated for the entertainment of a mysterious creature, but it seems that nothing satisfies it. Your allies, other souls in the same situation, always change. They are almost never the same people. I think the time has come. Not to give up... To fight.

• New handicap system: Now, enemies get weaker if someone leaves the game;

Royal Warrior
  • Flaming Armor model has been updated;

Night Huntress
  • Curse of the Moon now credit players;

Defiler:
  • Vital Weaking now credit players;
  • Degenerative Aura now credit players;
  • Degenerative Aura AoE decreased from 1.200 to 1.000;
  • Degenerative Aura name has been updated; Now, it’s called Degenerative Presence;

Priest
  • Destruction Orb Spell reworked; Now, it is an active ability, and no longer can hit allies;
Features
  • Merging System: Items can be leveled up by having two same level and description items;
  • Lives System: You don't lose if you die your first time (Check Game Mode before);
  • You can choose from a total of 28 heroes;
  • Three difficulties, each one with new enemies and new strategies (up to 5);

Screenshots

Warcraft III 2024-01-12 15-49-04-738.jpg

Warcraft III 2024-01-12 15-50-22-856.jpg

Warcraft III 2024-01-12 15-50-42-677.jpg

Warcraft III 2024-01-12 15-52-33-108.jpg

Warcraft III 2024-01-12 15-52-54-157.jpg

Project History
I'm a Game Designer student, that wants to prove my capabilities in creating an enjoyable project for everyone who wants to play. I've choosen Warcraft as a host, because it's a game that I've played A LOT on my teenage. World Editor is an engine that I knew a little, and it was enough to bind me, making me study even more to insert some systems inside the project.

The project itself has the proposal to not use a lot of custom systems and/or triggers; An altered map, with some custom systems, but not almost everything triggered.

Credits

The panda
OgeRfaCes
Blizzard Entertainment
Zephyrius2412
-Berz-
Aldeia
SuNdee
ChevronSeven
SkriK
Sellenisko
BLazeKraze
The D3ath
Kul'neas
Kanadaj
Darkfang
Static
Mr.Goblin
Palaslayer
Mc !
PrinceYaser
Ujimasa Hojo
Rubellu Sidus
Sun gate
Marcos DAB
CRAZYRUSSIAN
DeathKnight
prizraknadache
NFWar
dizzt
Orthon
KelThuzad
AhhFreshWeed

Ujimasa Hojo
Sellenisko
Rubellu Sidus
tillinghast
Blood Raven

Uncle

Attachments

• Outerworld Arena ALPHA v.0.75.w3x
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Level 5
Yo yo

I played you map this weekend with a coupple of friends and it feels very promising. We played one game on easy and just like orc gladiators which you mention for inspiration it is quite hard at first which is fun.

In general the map is fun but the enemy density to me get a little too high on later waves were it starts to become a bit of a slog to get through, maybe this is also due to the fact that the later waves are much easier than the first few (atleast on easy difficulty). Having the items be tiered and upgradeable is pretty cool but the inventory management is a bit of a pain, it would probably be better to make sort of an upgrade button that works as a spell that upgrades your item, this way you can upgrade your items even when your inventory is full. This might be a bit cumbersome to do for all your items but if you need a tip on how to do it @StangtennisGuru set it up for our map.

Furthermore with the items after the first section (first seven waves) you start to build up a lot of gold which means you can pretty much instantly achieve a full build when the next item tier unlocks, this gives an interesting dynamic were your hero does not really scale until you kill the next boss which makes the early waves of the section a breeze and the later a bit harder. Maybe the gold gain is different in other difficulties but atleast on easy it feels a little sad to not really be able to upgrade between rounds.

I love having the hero evolutions it was my favorite part of playing legendary gladiators as a child and unlocking new abilities just makes it more fun!

I could definitely see myself trying again on a higher difficulty, then i can also see what the save code is good for, I am generally not a fan of save/load codes in maps as it makes it more cumbersome to fire them up, if the map is in LUA you could try to search for the codeless save/load system which really has been a game changer for maps that want to have such a system.

It is clear from the minimap that you intend to do something more with the map and I would really love a section were you break out of the arena and kill the imperial director or something like that to sort of have more of a finale.

All in all a very promising map that i look forward to playing again

Level 6
In general the map is fun but the enemy density to me get a little too high on later waves were it starts to become a bit of a slog to get through, maybe this is also due to the fact that the later waves are much easier than the first few (atleast on easy difficulty).
Easy Mode is supposed to be a tutorial mode. I'll make a "walkthrough", teaching new players how the game works and how do you play it. For now, as I don't have a handicap system, nor the tutorial set up, it looks like an ordinary mode for newcomers. The last waves of easy mode (or 3rd army), have the buff "High Health" so creeps have bonus health than normal. It really takes a time to clear then, and botters players, because they don't do much damage at all.

Having the items be tiered and upgradeable is pretty cool but the inventory management is a bit of a pain
About the Merging Items System, I agree with you. It works for now, but every new game, someone struggle and/or don't understand how it works. This is a problem I need to solve, searching for something more friendly and easier to use. I'll check your idea for a solution.

Maybe the gold gain is different in other difficulties but atleast on easy it feels a little sad to not really be able to upgrade between rounds.
Gold gain is diferent in every mode. Easy and Normal modes gives you enough gold to get fully upgraded items just with rewards. From hard and above, you don't get enough money from rewards. This is still a thing to check when balancing once more the entire project.

I could definitely see myself trying again on a higher difficulty, then i can also see what the save code is good for,
The Save Code was an primary idea I had, for players that already beat modes, to get bonuses that helps harder modes, like extra life, bonus bounty... Even keys that open "secret" gates inside the arena (planned on the definitive layout of the map)... That sort of thing. For now, the idea is frozen, because I don't think that the project needs it. Maybe a highscore like zombie maps that show how much that player played the map... I don't know. This idea is Frozen for now.

It is clear from the minimap that you intend to do something more with the map and I would really love a section were you break out of the arena and kill the imperial director or something like that to sort of have more of a finale.
Killing Director before the time haha! I already did this on Legendary Gladiators. This is a thing to plan, yes, but not now. I'm focusing on the Player X Computer modes first.

I'd like to say something to you: try the other modes. They are diferent, because each army has unique features, and change a Lot in terms of gameplay. Hard Mode, for example, has been beated just a few times, because requires a strong teamplay.

And finally, thanks for your time, testing the project itself. It really means a lot to me. See you soon!