• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Open Sourcing Medieval villagers

Is a community driven modification off this map viable?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello Hive, I'm the creator of Medieval villagers, some of you might know it. For those who don't its some kind of mash-up of LOAP, Werewolf Trans and Village Builder.

The current situation is as follows: I don't really have time to develop maps for w3 anymore so I decided to make the source of the map open for everyone. A little note on that, when I started this project I hadn't much experience on w3 modding besides some other small projects I did localy, and it was done just for fun, that is to say:

1- Most of the scripts are done with GUI and there are some systems that should be redone for scalability.(If I was to start it again or I had time I would convert everything to jass/vjass but that's not a valid option for me).
2- scripts might not optimized or readable (I am trying to document most of it before releasing it tho).
3- There might be inconsistency issues.

What would be interesting, is to make a side project lead by the community where anyone can contribute in a way similar to GitHub.

So, essentially I would like to know what do you think about it, and more importantly, If you think its worth the effort to set it up. If I don't do this myself atleast I would support anyone who wishes to do that with the open source version once its released.

Level 21
I like the idea of making projects open source for curious mappers - but not for potential cheaters. I guess the latter can hardly be avoided really.

I think battle tanks released an older version to the public some time ago, so that would be my recommendation here also.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The current situation is as follows: I don't really have time to develop maps for w3 anymore so I decided to make the source of the map open for everyone. A little note on that, when I started this project I hadn't much experience on w3 modding besides some other small projects I did localy, and it was done just for fun, that is to say:
I think battle tanks released an older version to the public some time ago, so that would be my recommendation here also.
He is releasing it open source because he cannot work on it anymore. There is no point open sourcing an old version because there will be no newer, by him, versions anyway.

Level 2
Hello, and sorry for bumping a dead thread.
I have played this map quite a few times and enjoyed it very much. I am very thankful this project was made open source and have decided to begin maintaining it myself. I am far from an expert w3 modder, so if anyone else is interested in participating I would love to hear from you.

I have started work on a new update some days ago, below is what I have completed so far.

Gameplay Changes:
- Rebalanced ores. Redistributed gold, silver, copper, and iron. Increased number of iron sources to 14.
- Added additional heralds at Northern and Southern settlements.
- Royal Crown no longer gives the wearer 15000 health. The King retains the boost via another item.
- Changed name Disease to Sickness and improved tooltip.
- Rewrote all profession and guild tooltips.
- Rewrote all general tips. Added more tips.
- Rewrote all quest dialogs and all quest entries (F9). Combined Special Events quest entries.
- Added Bandit Hideout dungeon for Heroes (spawned units need to be balanced).

Fixed bugs and others:
- Farm animals no longer stack (prevents bug where 10 charges spawn only 1 animal).
- Items now stack even when inventory is full. Complete redesign of item stacking system(JASS instead of GUI).
- Workers can now mine ores when equipped with a pickaxe.
- Fixed level names Advanced/Elite Training (Landlord).

Visual changes:
- Changed the King's portrait, soundset, and model (unified entries).
- Changed Bartender portrait.
- Added new Bandit Hideout Dungeon.
- Added some NPCs to the Arena stands so it doesn't seem empty.

Last edited:
Level 6
Hello, and sorry for bumping a dead thread.
I have played this map quite a few times and enjoyed it very much. I am very thankful this project was made open source and have decided to begin maintaining it myself. I am far from an expert w3 modder, so if anyone else is interested in participating I would love to hear from you.

I have started work on a new update some days ago, below is what I have completed so far.

Gameplay Changes:
- Rebalanced ores. Redistributed gold, silver, copper, and iron. Increased number of iron sources to 14.
- Added additional heralds at Northern and Southern settlements.
- Royal Crown no longer gives the wearer 15000 health. The King retains the boost via another item.
- Changed name Disease to Sickness and improved tooltip.
- Rewrote all profession and guild tooltips.
- Rewrote all general tips. Added more tips.
- Rewrote all quest dialogs and all quest entries (F9). Combined Special Events quest entries.
- Added Bandit Hideout dungeon for Heroes (spawned units need to be balanced).

Fixed bugs and others:
- Farm animals no longer stack (prevents bug where 10 charges spawn only 1 animal).
- Items now stack even when inventory is full. Complete redesign of item stacking system(JASS instead of GUI).
- Workers can now mine ores when equipped with a pickaxe.
- Fixed level names Advanced/Elite Training (Landlord).

Visual changes:
- Changed the King's portrait, soundset, and model (unified entries).
- Changed Bartender portrait.
- Added new Bandit Hideout Dungeon.
- Added some NPCs to the Arena stands so it doesn't seem empty.

Hey, I am glad to hear that. If you have some questions about the triggers or something don't hestiate to send me a private message.

Status
Not open for further replies.