• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

oh hey I figured out how to manipulate damage and armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
as you might have read I accidentally discovered a bug that gives units items that no longer exist. I confirmed that it works for any passive (except reincarnation for some reason) and realized that includes rings and claws.

this is all it takes
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Loses an item
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Item - Remove (Item being manipulated)
then you pick up items with one unit and give them to another. the game sees the giver lose them, removes them, gets confused, and gives the nonexisting item to the recipient. it's not in his inventory but he gets the ability in it.

LkXQsxt.jpg

it also works for mana and hp but there's already an exploit for that.

I don't know if the ghost items can be removed from the unit, or if using this bug horribly breaks something.

Level 7
Definitely an interesting bug.
Have you test with active abilities, auras or hero passive abilities(Like critical strike)?

Test for a while
Orb effects, auras, hp,mp,dmg, armor, stats and inmolation works
Actives don't get transferred, but if an item has actives and passives, the passives are transferred.

Last edited:
Level 25
Can you increase the level of the ability too?
Like have an ability with 3 levels, add it to the item, remove the item, the hero gets the ability and then use Hero - Increase level of ability ?

Cuz then this could be a pretty good replacement to spellbooks.

Level 8
Can you increase the level of the ability too?
Like have an ability with 3 levels, add it to the item, remove the item, the hero gets the ability and then use Hero - Increase level of ability ?

Cuz then this could be a pretty good replacement to spellbooks.

YOU CAN!!!
I added a custom Devotion Aura with 3 levels to another unit using the above method and manage to increase the levels with a simple trigger.

• False Item Level Up
    • Events
      • Player - Player 2 (Blue) types a chat message containing -create pink as An exact match
      • Player - Player 2 (Blue) types a chat message containing -up as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Entered chat string) Equal to -create
        • Then - Actions
          • Set Position = (Center of (Playable map area))
          • Unit - Create 1 Paladin for Player 2 (Blue) at Position facing Default building facing degrees
          • Set Caster = (Last created unit)
          • Item - Create The Lion Horn of Stormwind at Position
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Position)
        • Else - Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Entered chat string) Equal to -up
        • Then - Actions
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String((Level of Dragonhide Aura (Item) for Caster)))
          • Unit - Increase level of Dragonhide Aura (Item) for Caster
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String((Level of Dragonhide Aura (Item) for Caster)))
        • Else - Actions

P.S.: @doom_sheep Nice find by the way. :D

Last edited:
Level 19
surely you're able to manipulate those abilities freely

Bug based on the skip "remove abilities" event. Normally it called on unit dropping item. Here you kill the item instantly, which leads to fact - game dunno which abilities been added. Therefore nothing being reverted.
This allows to add some bonuses. Thing is, illusions won't receive those "removed" bonuses, since they're only re-created units and not copypaste of original structures. (btw illusions can get items via triggers, but cannot drop due to inventory mute).

Every item register his active ability under order "useritem#" and only this order will trigger ability, no matter what you picked as base. Obviously number depends on which slot item has gone. As always, perfoming single order will trigger every ability with the same order (all active items, dropped at slot #1, for instance).

Even more obviously, this only works when inventrory has free slot, else game won't even try to put item inside unit but drop it on the ground.

Thanks to item's nature you can stack any abilities there, without showing their icons as well.

Neat discovery, although i struggle to find any practical use for this.
Yes it can be used to avoid disabled spellbooks for invisible abilities but you still need to create extra object data (this time an item instead of a spellbook) for every hidden ability. So its not that much of an advantage.

For adding damage and armor, using base-2 abilities is probably easier because it doesnt need inventory slots.

Level 21
I see one advantage of this over the usual base-2 technique - Adding the same abilities multiple times. That effectively makes the amount of stats that can be given infinite, with the amount of abilities on object editor only being relevant for efficiency. I wonder if it breaks with morphs or not.

Level 18
UnitDropItemTarget(dummy, itm, target) works for me only if units dummy and target belong to the same player (doesnt work for example when dummy is neutral passive and target is Player(0)

also interesting thing about an event EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DROP_ITEM is: if you check in such a trigger action, this item is treated as it is still in hero's inventory

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
So this looks like something I should be very interested in; if nothing else, doom_sheep, congrats on (re)discovering & testing this.

Trying to wrap my mind around it's uses, though; especially as it pertains to a Spellbook alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.