• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Not again! Rpg-Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Allright this is going to be my first official map, I made a lot before but never posted one... I´ve played a lot of rpg-maps, either they were nice looking with a lack of gameplay or they were ugly designed with nice gameplay or at least nice looking spells. So i thought i could try to create a good looking playable terrain. First of all I made some terrain, wich is still not done and I really need some critics and hints...

Attachments

• Cathedral.jpg
    Cathedral.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Falls1.jpg
    Falls1.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Falls2.jpg
    Falls2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Wood1.jpg
    Wood1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 294
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 242
Level 10
I think RPG maps are suppose to have better gameplay rather than nicer looking terrain, and it still bothers me that you should try to catch our hearts with the weird angles instead of a normal gamer's point of view (birds eye)

Maps a bit small I suppose, and the terrain looks like hills.

-Floating trees in the first picture
-I would say remove the tide looking doodads in the water, they don't seem to correspond with the flow of the water
-The waterfall in the third pic would be much more impressive if you had a better view of it. Also the water emits a particle at the bottom of it which doesn't look good when you string together a bunch for a waterfall - I would say try editing the model in magos to remove that part for the middle waterfalls. Also the background here is completely empty - fill it up.
-I like the fourth pic - not much there but nothing to complain about
-Same thing with the 5th

Hey, if you can get some of these angles in game for maximum cinematic effect then go for it, it'll be interesting to see the results.

Level 6
THX for the quick reply...

I truly agree that a good gameplay is very important, but I believe both is possible. I will add some screenshots without weird angles...

@WherewolfTherewolf thanks for the advices, I must admit water stuff is not really my thing - but I´ll fix the things you mentioned. Concerning the backround actually I´m working on it. I´m still experimenting with the terrain so the shots I´ve made sometimes seem to be a little empty.

Level 24
the most important things in an ORPG is that the terrain looks extremly good and that it´s fun to play. But you´ve really done great job with the terrain :)

But if I were you I should really remove the doodads from the water.

Level 6
Ok I´ve made some changes and uploaded the reworked pictures, I also added the cliffs from the Highres-Pack (Blizz-Cliffs sucks anyway). Got not so much time at the moment, but I´ll keep you posted...

Attachments

• CathedralNew.jpg
    CathedralNew.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Wood1New.jpg
    Wood1New.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Falls1new.jpg
    Falls1new.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Falls2new.jpg
    Falls2new.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 95
Level 6
Time to move

Thanks all for supporting and commenting my pics... But as I was terraining, a basic idea for what kind of Rpg im going to make comes up. It´ll be something like a Druids Tale and guess what it´ll be about - druids. So I had to move to another thread soon. :gg:

Last pics I´ve made so far...

Attachments

• AboveTemple.png
    AboveTemple.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • CrystalPlains1.png
    CrystalPlains1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • SmallDale.png
    SmallDale.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • Temple.png