• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

New Wc3 Team

Vote our leader!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uther party, Azeroth Grand Prix...

:cidea: How about a board-game mingame base.

Take Mario Party for an example. 2-4 teams would take turns rolling dice to try to do an objective (such as buy out hotels, take away other points, get to a certain area, etc.) and everytime this happens, that team get's a point. First to 5 points win.

As for minigames, once every team/player has gone, there will be a fun minigame; a mini grand prix with 4 laps around a small track, dodgeball, small scale CTF, or something else that would be short and enjoyable Whoever wins the minigames will gain a bonus or some cold hard cash.

Its just a thought and a quick post. :D

Level 8
Has my Star Wars Battefront idea been done before? I have never seen it so I can only assume it is unique.

EDIT: I had another idea as well. A dancing game where directions pop up and you use the directional keys to move. Using spells (linked by hotkeys of course) you could do fantastic moves, flourishes and the like.

Mini game ideas - Whack-a-mole: I have worked out how it would be operated in the World Editor
- Memory : I player inputs commands and other players copy it. Each player gets a turn. Other way, patterns are randomised, reevealed and each player must repeat them.
- Dancing : Previous idea

Fighting Game - It would be complicated but a side on fighting game would be possible with the WarCraft 3 engine. Again, this would require arrow keys and spells but I think it may be worth doing.

Give feedback to this teams Leading Ideas Man, Modo.

Last edited:
Level 8
Which name didn't you like, "Anti-Disillusionmnt Technicians" or "The Titans".

Why not "Village Hidden in the Hive" as a dedication to the founders namesake (i.e. You name, UchihaSasuke.gr)
Other ideas "Slave Labour", "Sweatshop", "Shinderu", "Orochi Kami", "Blackout", "Mappers Guild", "Mapemathics" (pun ftw)

Need more ideas? I have them

Level 7
I've had a star wars battle front sitting in the <my maps> folder for years now that copies the kashyke fight with the repairable and destroyable gate, bases that are taken over that spawn peeps, limit of units on map, with vehicles. Only i didnt put in before i left that map was the lives. It was unlimited till one side won... I've never finished a map yet ><, but im hoping to get my castle siege out so GL man.

I never finished it but you might =),I thought it was a fun idea and i think it could be.

Level 34
Well terrainer is my first choice, but you have a bunch, and they are generally better than I, so maybe story board / overview.

Level 27
I would join as a modeler if I weren't so caught up in other businesses and it also would appear you have one.
I will passively help you though with my goblin goodness for uploaded models, as well as helping you with any questions you have.
I may help you out from time to time, but I'd prefer to freelance as opposed to being an actual member.
--donut3.5--

Level 24
Btw, when you count the votes from the poll, I would only count people who are in the team, I mean that way people can't really just get a heap of friends to vote for them, and only people who are gonna be part of the team can vote.

Well you'll be surprised how long cinematics can take sometimes, regardless of how long or short they are, to make a good cinematic can take a while. So I would say stick with a mini-game, and then move onto a cinematic after that if we want to.

Edit: And you probably want to edit the first page, atm it says Map Maker in positions available.

Level 9
How about "Wario Cart"? haha. Have a 3D racing game.

The reason why the map idea i suggested would be popular is because i'm sure, by now, people are bored out of their minds playing variations of the same games. There are really no new elements. I remember when i got burnt-out frm Hero Wars, which i think was the game with the most growing potential. If you make dynamic games, even if they are 2D, or like Mario Cart - a racing game, people will enjoy that difference from the rest of the crap on bnet.
Just because WE and WC is designed to have a certain way of HAVING games doesn't mean it should be that way.
As long as they are playing Subspace, for example, on bnet and not actually downloading the real game, they would be just as happy for that kind of new-ness.
That's just my opinion. You guys can go ahead and re-do what's already been done if you want, but that's not going to make it any more popular or fun to those who think that certain style of game already sucks.

Also, i wouldn't recommend voting for someone who already has one or more of their own projects going at the same time as the leader.

I hate to go into this story, but here it goes...

About a year ago (when I started my Hive Account) I was in a little group of 'Elfsilver' mappers. Using the Elfsilver Tag, we mainly didn't do maps, but played Vampirsim.

Recently, I have fallen out of that. I don't like the name. It is stupid, so I decided to change it once I joined Wc3C, Clan FoL(Yeah!) and other sites.

Even you have a different FoL name, don'tcha Klaparas.

Level 25
Lol I have no votes. Anyway, I think we should make a racing game. We should probably start off with something small though, and then work our way up. Starting big is good, but takes too long and if we make one or two good small games, it is quick and a good way to build a little bit of a bigger fan-base.

So once we get an actual fan-base, the outlook on bigger projects we make, even before it is done, will be good and positive. :smile:
~Craka_J

Level 25
Do they work well on LAN games at least?
If not, we can always use the ZXCVBN keys or something as spells that make you move.

If we don't make a racing game, I'd really like to make a Crash Bandicoot mod using l0w_qwaliti's Crash model(s).
~Craka_J

Level 10
I voted for bob, not because how famous he is or how good is rep is, I voted him on how much experience he has with people...I looked at tuts and contests he made...Bob has my vote.

Level 34
I agree with Infinitynexus.

I voted for bob, but it was a toss up with him and raging.

Craka and Dr Super Good both have too much on their plate IMO. I know Craka does.

For a map, what about a large map that would be a multi player Campaign. Not an rpg, but normal wc3 style with RPG elements and new units in each race. We could slit up the races, Humans with Humans. Dwarfs with Dwarfs, ect.

It would be something along the lines of the Dwarf Campaign. Three Hammers I think it was called, but this would be one map.

This would be pretty hard, but pretty unique.

Level 8
We must start small. If we start big, we may not ever finish and this whole team will be a flop. I suggested Star Wars Battlefront for that reason. It can be very complex but it doesn't have to be. A few triggers here, a few triggers there, nice scenery, in-game models(for now) and we are done.

IMO, RPGs are very hard to do. To make one that is playable could take a few years, seriously. Perhaps we could do it as a side project that we all work on in our free time using high res models, an immortal script and a well balanced system.

Racing using spells... is that possible? I can only see it working with arrow keys, like in Azeroth GP. I guess if you could have a turn left, turn right, accelerate, break and attack(for the items you pick up) it could work. Reinventing the Craft is trying to get more control over key press, but is finding it hard as Blizzard already does a lot checkiing for Hotkeys.(as far as I know)

Side Note 1: Can someone link me to some of Gilles stories (if there are any). I want to see how he writes if he is going to be the story guy. I only ask so that I can use my mercurial personality traits to complement his style.

Side Note 2: How did I get the icon job? You have never seen my work. I am getting better and if it is one of my main roles, I will make sure to do it well. Still learning GIMP.

Side Note 3: When are we getting a name? I keep making suggestions, but have not seen any results. I have more suggestions (ofcourse) "Final Alphas", "Bite the Furious Chicken" (one fo my favourite sayings. Is it a name or action?), "De-railed Thought" (My train of though just had a de-railment, no joke). I'll be back to make more suggestions later. I have to go practice GIMP :grin:... just had another thought, "The Smileys".

Once we have a name and theme, I can make our logo and icon (if that is ok with everyone ofcourse)

Level 8
Come on Gilles, not even a short story :grin: I mean that in the nicest way possible. I love reading and writing. Can you at least describe your dominant style of influences? If you write a short story (500-1000 words) that can showcase your talent I will be happy to read it and critique it. I was really lucky when i was in Year 12 because I had the best English teacher ever. He encouraged my short story writing and creativity. I would like to pass this gift on to others as I find that writing is one of he most powerful forms of expression.

As someone (I think it was a Hive member) said "A picture may be worth a thousand words but a well constructed sentace is worth a thousand pictures.

I may seem obsessive about story line but I have seen far too many games fail because their story wasn't worth the paper it was written on. The funniest thing I find is that my writing may seem absolute poo to team members. How I love irony.

Craka_J, have you ever played "When Freedom Slips Away" That is one of the best maps I have ever played. It is tiny, and epic.

Level 34
That is indeed an "little Epic" map. So small, but so packed with stuff! We could do that for sure!

I don't have anything good right now. I don't write short story, I don't write much outside of school. But I do a lot of writing for school. If you really really want some of my work, I can send you a WIP of a small composition I wrote.

Level 8
Send the composition you wrote, I will happily read it.

Re: The Freedom Slips Away, do you know how much work went into that. All the triggering and hidden complexity. We should test out skills before we go and try something like this.

I guess if we dumbed it down a fair bit, but the we are commiting a "me tooi-sm" and I don't want a me too-ism as our first project.

Level 8
Even the name is pretentious... :grin:

I'll re-read it tonight and critique it. I only give constructive criticism, so I will not say anything about it as of yet.

EDIT:How far is a yard in metric measurement, metres or centimetres.

Last edited:
Level 24
Well I like the idea of a racing game, although like ragingspeedhorn said arrow keys aren't the best thing to use in online maps. Maybe WASD keys, like in Pirate Tag or something? But we should come up with an original idea, not something really similar to the map blizzard made.

Level 25
Ragingspeedhorn
I voted for Ragingspeedhorn. I don't vote for myself because I'm not arrogant. But I voted for him because his of his stretched experience with making maps and mods, his experience as a moderator can certainly be a good way to show that he can be a leader (Mainly for being active in specific areas and helpful as well.) and of course, he is friendly; hostile types, I do not fancy very much; no matter how "professional" of an attitude of behavior it may be.
Dr Super Good
I did vote for Dr Super Good because well... I never hear from him, nor do I know where his skills and talents (If any) lie. So I had no choice but to not vote for him. Though it would've probably been safer to look him up, but I've got better things to do, I'm sorry. :p
Bob27
Bob27 didn't get my vote because he is already working on his own project, the cinematic called "Arilen's Tale", so I figured that'd be enough to keep him occupied. I don't recall him ever being part of any major development teams for any big playable projects, so in my book, that's usually a minus. Though his skills with people and moderator/adminship are good and certainly experienced at handling the public, it just wasn't enough to convince me to give him my vote.
Craka_J
And now... for me! Like I've said, I didn't vote for myself because I'm not arrogant and choose not to choke on pride and try to win this. Besides, I doubt voting for myself would even count! So it'd be a waste of a vote.

Anyway, I think I'd also be a good team leader because I've had over a year or two of controlling development teams of great mods such as Wc3:WoW. People HAVE told me that I am a good leader in the past. I'm good with keeping people motivated, keeping people stacked with jobs to do, and try very hard not to let my projects which I lead, die. I'm a little rusty with keeping everything organized, but I can do it enough to get the job done. I've never successfully released any projects of mine to the public (Besides Wc3:WoW betas and demos) which may be a bit of a downfall, but this is usually because the projects which I am the head of are so large, it is difficult to get large things completed on demand. Speaking of getting things on demand, I'm also not very good at getting things done on due dates. I try very hard and am improving on this flaw of mine, but I think it may be my worst flaw. Anyway, I have much experience with terraining and know enough GUI triggers to get at least the basics done.
And like everyone else on this poll, I too am a moderator of this forum. I constantly moderate the Terrain forums as much as possible and try to help people as much as possible with their flaws and so on. Maybe these aren't good reasons why to vote for me, but I think they are. The votes lie within your hands! Make it happen!
infernalthumbs.gif
~Craka_J

What I think we should make for a first map should be something that we can finish within the timespan of perhaps a month or 1½, not something too epic to begin out with, this should be a test of what we can do and if people do even actually work.

The map should be the like that requires good terrain as we have some good terrainers on the team so it would be a waste to go out and make some map not requiring terraining.

The map should not be a racing map, Wc3 does not support arrow keys well enough and WASD wouldn't really work well as supstitutes for the arrow keys when it is something you need to smoothly manovour.

If we should do an RPG it should certainly be storybased, not ORPG, but a smaller storybased RPG that follows a linear script.

We should not do an AoS, too many AoS maps allready.

A Cinematic would be a good test of our skills but if the majority is against it then I guess the idea is out.

Personally I would prefer to make some sort of map similar in style of Ninja vs Samurai - Legends and other similar "arenas".

Once we have an actuall map project ready, a team name and what not then it might be a good idea to get a hosted project forum, untill then we should stay with a thread.

Level 25
Here Here!
Agreed. The choices should be the following:
  • RPG.
  • Mini-Game: Racing, Uther Party Style, etc.
  • Sports related map (Football, Baseball, Basketball, etc.)
  • Cinematic.
  • Aeon of Strife styled map.
  • Hero Arena map.
  • Tag map.
  • FPS map (Single-Player).
  • Tower Defense.
  • Other.
~Craka_J

Level 25
Neither would I. DotA pretty much took the cake years ago lol. No one really plans of moving to another AoS for a while.

[off-topic]:
StarCraft II producers have annoucned that StarCraft II will feature heroes, experience, and other stuff like that. This means that Blizzard plans on bringing DotA to StarCraft II!
So all hope is lost, even in SC2 lol.
~Craka_J

Level 21
What I think we should make for a first map should be something that we can finish within the timespan of perhaps a month or 1½, not something too epic to begin out with, this should be a test of what we can do and if people do even actually work.

The map should be the like that requires good terrain as we have some good terrainers on the team so it would be a waste to go out and make some map not requiring terraining.

The map should not be a racing map, Wc3 does not support arrow keys well enough and WASD wouldn't really work well as supstitutes for the arrow keys when it is something you need to smoothly manovour.

If we should do an RPG it should certainly be storybased, not ORPG, but a smaller storybased RPG that follows a linear script.

We should not do an AoS, too many AoS maps allready.

A Cinematic would be a good test of our skills but if the majority is against it then I guess the idea is out.

Personally I would prefer to make some sort of map similar in style of Ninja vs Samurai - Legends and other similar "arenas".

Once we have an actuall map project ready, a team name and what not then it might be a good idea to get a hosted project forum, untill then we should stay with a thread.

QFT.

Another idea would be making an altered melee.
We could have a new melee map which takes advantage of the differences in races with a spectacular terrain. Next, we could add a new race with a completelly new techtree, mechanics, abilities, models, etc. Finishing 1 race in 1 month should be possible with this team and there's always room for improvement: changes in the current race, starting a new race, ...

Just a suggestion.
Anyway, IMO the map should preferably be multiplayer. That does limit our choices to something RPG-ish though... (AoS, FF, ... are out of the question for me)
Alternatively, a Cinematic or RPG would be best...

[Offtopic] that was quite an obvious move... Let's hope though that they don't add them to melee...
Any reference?

Level 8
Please, no AoS. If we are to make an AoS, we should make ourselves into (balanced) heroes and make our abilities based in our real life skills. Less comlicated AoSs are better than 2 billion heroes, come on n00b, make a choice or we boot you.

I am thinking of writing a story tonight, for a cinematic with the members of the team. Problem is I don't know everyone's character or which unit to use for them. I will do something rough.

I was thinking of making a union type story, like we all find a place (symbolic of this thread) where we unite for the greater good, or something cheesy like that. I will attach it to this thread in Rich Text Dosument form so that team members can critique it, improve it, add to it, etc. Your roles will be symbolised as well, it is just the models I will have trouble with. I won't be at the site all night so, as I always say, PM me. I will get an email and MSN will tell me, and then I can check.

Craka_J, this means your story must wait, and I haven't forgotten about your First Person system, I just haven't had time to fix it yet.

I like Elendoar's idea of Altered Melee. Difference being, we have 4 new races. Unlike the techtree contest, we can use triggers which would be really good. Does anyone actually play melee anymore?

Bleeding heck, everytime I try to post, I need to log in again :cry:

Level 24
lol, Craka_J, I have got one major project, and you have got about 5 major projects going on at the same time, and i'm to busy to do it but your not? :p

Well out of those options Craka_J listed, I say we should either do a mini-game or cinematic

Status
Not open for further replies.