• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got bored and made this terrain (again, at around 4:30 in the morning, all my terrains see to be done in the early morning)

I've been wanting to make a terrain for a while, but couldn't think of anything I really wanted to do, so I decided to do it out of a place in a book I really enjoy - Watership Down.

Some parts are missing, and if you look carefully in 2 of the screens you can see a Dark Ranger hidden in the prarie grass. The 2nd one is VERY hard to find.

Attachments

• Watership Down pic 1.jpg
    Watership Down pic 1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Watership Down pic 2.jpg
    Watership Down pic 2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 167
  • Watership Down pic 3.jpg
    Watership Down pic 3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Watership Down pic 4.jpg
    Watership Down pic 4.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Watership Down pic 5.jpg
    Watership Down pic 5.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Watership Down pic 6.jpg
    Watership Down pic 6.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Watership Down pic 7.jpg
    Watership Down pic 7.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Watership Down pic 8.jpg
    Watership Down pic 8.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 147
Level 7
I think the forest looks a bit bare, and it just doesn't fit in with the whole prarie feeling that you tried to create. The prarie does look nice though, maybe some doodads around the house? (Weeds, Grass, common overgrowth along the sides of houses)

Level 34
I like them, I actually just tried doing the same the other day, but the lag got so bad I quit, I was at like 12000 doodads or something? the stupid over limit message came up every time I placed some which also sucked.

Lol, I'm fine with criticism, and I didn't mean it like I thought you were like attacking me or anything.

Edit: I have 2 new screens and I changed #2 and #3
The new 2 pics are of an underground rabit warren, and if you know the story its supposed to be the part when the efrafrans are digging their way into the Honeycomb.

Attachments

• Watership Down pic 2.jpg
    Watership Down pic 2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Watership Down pic 3.jpg
    Watership Down pic 3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Watership Down pic 9.jpg
    Watership Down pic 9.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Watership Down pic 10.jpg
    Watership Down pic 10.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Level 34
Don't really like the underground one, rabbits in that big of a rabbit hole? I know it's the main area, but I think it's still big. More doodads would be nice. The tress, well, I can't decide if I like them or not. At first glance they looks alright, but after a while I noticed they were trees which is weird, but the idea was good and I would say keep them.

Edit: By the way, I really liked that book, cool idea to terrain it!

Don't really like the underground one, rabbits in that big of a rabbit hole? I know it's the main area, but I think it's still big. More doodads would be nice. The tress, well, I can't decide if I like them or not. At first glance they looks alright, but after a while I noticed they were trees which is weird, but the idea was good and I would say keep them.

Edit: By the way, I really liked that book, cool idea to terrain it!

lol, I have to do this entire terrain out of a picture in my head, so its quite different then yours in all likelyhood.

As for the honeycomb, the only thing that gave my a really nice underground look was the underground dome doodad, which is, sadly, dome shaped. but yeah, I see what you mean, Ill see if i can fix it for later.

Level 25
Images 4, 5, and 8 are fairly nice. Nothing too complex, just a bunch of grass and a couple trees. However the fog and sky is nice. Only thing I hate is how the Villager is taller than the house. Very unrealistic; which is a definate no, no!

All of the other screenshots I don't like. They're way too plain and the camera angles are very badly placed. Don't mean to be harsh but the two screenshots with the rabits honestly makes no sense to me. There isn't much of a reason for Rabits to be gathered in a circle underground while it, meaning the underground area, (looks) is collapsing. And even if it was something they naturally do when a small area is collapsing, the terrain is poorly done. Probably something that could be done easily in 5 minutes. You need to get into the habit of using environmental doodads and props, but effectively in a postive way. Doing this as a noob shouldn't be too hard, especially since you seem to be familiar with how to use custom imported objects such as the trees you used in your terrain screenshots. You should read up on tutorials made by HappyTauren and HernanG if you can find any, they'll really help you out big time. And if I release one of my own, I recommend you check it out.
And remember, when reading a tutorial, read it slowly to absorb the information more efficiently.
~Craka_J

Images 4, 5, and 8 are fairly nice. Nothing too complex, just a bunch of grass and a couple trees. However the fog and sky is nice. Only thing I hate is how the Villager is taller than the house. Very unrealistic; which is a definate no, no!

All of the other screenshots I don't like. They're way too plain and the camera angles are very badly placed. Don't mean to be harsh but the two screenshots with the rabits honestly makes no sense to me. There isn't much of a reason for Rabits to be gathered in a circle underground while it, meaning the underground area, (looks) is collapsing. And even if it was something they naturally do when a small area is collapsing, the terrain is poorly done. Probably something that could be done easily in 5 minutes. You need to get into the habit of using environmental doodads and props, but effectively in a postive way. Doing this as a noob shouldn't be too hard, especially since you seem to be familiar with how to use custom imported objects such as the trees you used in your terrain screenshots. You should read up on tutorials made by HappyTauren and HernanG if you can find any, they'll really help you out big time. And if I release one of my own, I recommend you check it out.
And remember, when reading a tutorial, read it slowly to absorb the information more efficiently.
~Craka_J

Thats a dog house lmao, if you look you can see a dog next to him.
The scene with the rabbits underground is a part taken from a book, when their warren (rabbit colony) is being attacked by other rabbits, and they are digging their way down through the roof, and they are meeting to discus it. In the pic the 4 trees are meant to be tree-roots.
Still, I can increase the rabbits size to make it look less like theyre in some giant thing.

Level 34
I hadn't planned on making that many, and it sure didn't look like that many! But the WE said it was.

Level 25
Ah yes that's another thing I forgot to mention: The road should be replaced. The tile you're using is something that may be best used in a Library, Court, Park. It can be used in other areas as well I'm sure like a Museum but definately not the best choice for a path to a village / farm.
~Craka_J

Level 8
To "fill" a large area with "grass" make a customized copy of your grass. Make it to where it is much larger than normal. This will give you a wide "base" to cover a larger area with less doodads.

For ease of seeing I made the customized doodads green, and I am using sand since it is a nice contrast. I use a few super sized ones and lowered them about half way.

The selected one is "normal" size for rushes, the one to the left is the "giant sized" the ones bottom left are just the giant ones sank down. The ones to the right are seeded with "normal" sized rushes (using brown ones only for clarity of image)

If you do not want to spend a lot of time holding down control and using the page up/page down keys you can lay in a few giant rushes, hit enter and lower them by the z axis.

You will still use a lot of doodads, but you will be using less than you are now.

Attachments

• grass_example.jpg
    grass_example.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.