• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Need help with spells and unit upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi, I have been looking around a bit to see if i could find a guide that tells me how i upgrade fx a unit to another..

I wanna guard my castle with fx footmen, and by one click pay fx 100 g. and instead of footmen its horse riders thats arrives to def my castle..

but i want this to continue, with an even higher price each time..

1. how could i create such a ( buy in a market spell-kinda upgrade )?
2. think i might have the idea to making the soldiers attack.. but how do i turn that into a spell i can buy for upgrades.

I also have another issue, however here im total blanc for ideas.
How do i upgrade a heroes spell to become stronger than the normal 3 lv´s?
i´m kinda expecting that players will end with a normal dmg on 10000... and it will kinda be weird if the spells only does 300 dmg max...

can anyone help me with this? or atleast point me in the right direction of a tutorial... ( btw im noob so cant code fx Jass. )

Ty for your time

Level 3
provacateur you must be new to map making.

So to help with the second part. To make a hero's spell deal more damage you are going to want to go to ability editor and you can change the level of any chosen spell. there you can also edit the damage of the spell.

Level 3
Yes indeed i am new to this. and its not easy to get a clear overview of wc3 tft WE.

kay number 1.

I would like to be able to click on a button, in a building... that sayes( click on this to upgrade your defending units skill in combat: cost 100g )..
and instead of peasant, footman arrives

now if i click on the same button, it should say something about :
(click on this to upgrade your defending units skills further to lv 3: cost 1000g )
and instead of footmen some Knight arrives...

and so on and so on until such an upgrade cost 10000 g.. but with Custom new units for each upgrade.

number 2.

I would like a spell to become stronger with the hero.. all heroes can become lv 10 ( in my game).. and have to buff them selves with books giving stg, agi, int and so on..

The problem here is that when a player reach lv 10, so does his spell( or rather lv 3spellsx3 ).. and I´m searching for a solution to the spell so it will continue growing, or such that a player can fx buy a book... and thereby ( with some stats/solution im not aware of yet) be able to make his spell stronger, even after lv 10.

and in the ability editor i can only see myself though making the spell change stats 3 times.... and i don´t want the play to have the experience: that when he reach lv 2 he suddenly dmg alike 1000, or in lv 3 dmg 10000 in one spell shot... but only 100dmg in lv one...

so got any ideas i might be able to use;D
Hope its better explained, thx for your replay so far.

Level 3
ok so for the spells it seems that you will want to have it do some like this

Spell Lv3 - (spell base damage) x Stat = New damage. it is a simple way to have your spells increase in damage if the hero's stats will increase through tomes or such things.

Let me think a bit more on the first one. i was trying to do something similar before.

Level 4
For number 2, if what you meant was that you wanted your heroes to surpass level 10 (e.g. a hero that level-up's up to level 20 etcetera), then the solution is:

1.) Click on the "Advanced" tab in the WarCraft editor toolbar.
2.) Select "Gameplay Constants".
3.) Click on the "Use Custom Gameplay Constants".
4.) Find and highlight the "Hero Maximum Level" tab.
5.) Change the value to whatever number you desire (e.g. changing the value to 20 means that your hero can level-up up to level 20).

Then, after you have set the level-up maximum, change the value of the abilities used by a hero, so that it will sum up to equal the value of the Hero Maximum Level. This can be done by:

1.) Press F6 (That is the hotkey for the Object Editor).
2.) Click the "Abilities" tab.
3.) Click on the ability used by the hero.
4.) Select "Stats - Levels [X]"
5.) Change the value.

So, for example:

I have set the Hero Maximum Level to 15, so I will change the skill levels of the Night Elves' Warden to:

Blink - 4 Levels
Shadow Strike - 4 Levels
Fan of Knives - 4 Levels
Vengeance - 3 Levels

So, that means all in all it would sum up to 4+4+4+3 = 15 level-ups.
I hope I was able to be of assistance to your dilemmas.

Level 3
ok so for the spells it seems that you will want to have it do some like this

Spell Lv3 - (spell base damage) x Stat = New damage. it is a simple way to have your spells increase in damage if the hero's stats will increase through tomes or such things.

Let me think a bit more on the first one. i was trying to do something similar before.

How would you want me to create such thing, so it works, should it be a trigger or an action?
How do i connect it to the spells, so it counts all spell used?

Level 3
what is FX mean?

Its a shortcut i use, when i describe for example... in my languages we use
for eksempel ( sounds similar ), but we ( my country ) could write it in shot as f.eks. which sounds similar to F.X.

the sound and some small degree of "word blindness" makes its stand as Fx. in my head.

and by that i´ll get For example written as Fx.

Level 22
Doesn't make sense, do you mean it's an emphasis on the word? for example in fx footmen; does this emphasize the word footmen? Like this? I wanna guard my castle with footmen

Level 3
For number 2, if what you meant was that you wanted your heroes to surpass level 10 (e.g. a hero that level-up's up to level 20 etcetera), then the solution is:

1.) Click on the "Advanced" tab in the WarCraft editor toolbar.
2.) Select "Gameplay Constants".
3.) Click on the "Use Custom Gameplay Constants".
4.) Find and highlight the "Hero Maximum Level" tab.
5.) Change the value to whatever number you desire (e.g. changing the value to 20 means that your hero can level-up up to level 20).

Then, after you have set the level-up maximum, change the value of the abilities used by a hero, so that it will sum up to equal the value of the Hero Maximum Level. This can be done by:

1.) Press F6 (That is the hotkey for the Object Editor).
2.) Click the "Abilities" tab.
3.) Click on the ability used by the hero.
4.) Select "Stats - Levels [X]"
5.) Change the value.

So, for example:

I have set the Hero Maximum Level to 15, so I will change the skill levels of the Night Elves' Warden to:

Blink - 4 Levels
Shadow Strike - 4 Levels
Fan of Knives - 4 Levels
Vengeance - 3 Levels

So, that means all in all it would sum up to 4+4+4+3 = 15 level-ups.
I hope I was able to be of assistance to your dilemmas.

hmm i like the idea about how easy it is, but i dislike the idea of exp, and thats the reason i asked if it could be done in another way..

besides in this version i´ll still need to edit every lv of each spell.. i did hope to find a way to take each spell and for each( lets say 1000 intellect) i could multiply the dmg from the spell with an eksponensial formular..

if thats the case it would give me one edit that counts for every spell, and for each 1000 intellect it would give the spell some extra dmg.. which would follow the streng and agi stats...

which again lead to the players interest in the spell instead of hack´n´slash.

Level 3
Doesn't make sense, do you mean it's an emphasis on the word? for example in fx footmen; does this emphasize the word footmen? Like this? I wanna guard my castle with footmen

do you refer to Footmen ( unit ingame wc3 ) or do you refer to the F.X.

cause if its in the last case i am aware that it don´t make much sense, but just had become a habit of mine to use..

Level 22
Don't worry I get it already. Oh! and sorry for posting non related questions to your thread.

Level 3
Np, i use it alot, and don´t mind explain nor help with the understanding. besides you been very helpfull related to other threads, so np at all.

Level 4
Hmm, you could create a trigger that increases the damages of spells. If that is possible (I have limited knowledge on triggers). But if you decide to go with that method, the way I see it, you would still need to create extra skills in the Object Editor to match whatever the trigger requires when "multiplying" the skill damage per level.

Alternatively, you could create hero skills but are set as "unit skills", that way you don't have to level-up skills. Then use a trigger that multiplies the skill damage or whatever desired outcome whenever the hero level-ups. Also, acquiring more skills as the hero level-ups can be set using triggers.

Level 3
Can anyone point me in the direction? of such names/triggers/stast?

Hmm, you could create a trigger that increases the damages of spells. If that is possible (I have limited knowledge on triggers). But if you decide to go with that method, the way I see it, you would still need to create extra skills in the Object Editor to match whatever the trigger requires when "multiplying" the skill damage per level.

Alternatively, you could create hero skills but are set as "unit skills", that way you don't have to level-up skills. Then use a trigger that multiplies the skill damage or whatever desired outcome whenever the hero level-ups. Also, acquiring more skills as the hero level-ups can be set using triggers.

One thing is to get the idea, the real problem is to find out what triggers i´ll need, and where they are + what that so desired stats is called ingame..

Can anyone point me in the direction? of such names/triggers/stast?

Status
Not open for further replies.