• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Altered Melee] My Recent Project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
After quite a bit of work I have decided to release the next version of my current map that I am working on. It has reached "playable" although still far from complete. The map is a recreation of Hyrule from the NES Zelda. Other then the terrain layout, it doesn't have much to do with the Zelda series, just one NPC and an item.

This is the second version and only orcs and humans are a more or less the only complete playable races. I have also made some AIs for them as well (Not awesome, but they function).

1: The map is control point based, and currently the gold from them for testing purposes is really high, when anything official happens it will be toned down.

2: Each faction will have three masteries to pick from, the human faction (Only complete/near complete one) has all 3 available for testing purposes. They can be researched at any Town Hall type building.

3: Custom heroes and units (Named heroes, "elite" units, etc.) that will be limited in the normal game have no limits at the moment for testing purposes.

4: If you want to face the AI, set it to human or orc (difficulty doesn't matter) as I have not created any other AIs for the other factions other then those 2.

5: Units are extremely imbalanced at the moment, this will be fixed (Hopefully). Everything needs their gold/lumber cost, damage, defenses, etc. fixed up.

Please tell me what you like/dislike/etc. and if you don't like something, please say it in a constructive manner.

DO: I feel the Elven mastery is a little OP compared to the other two.
DON'T: lol ur map sux cuz itz based from other game rofl

Attachments

• Hyrule NES.w3x
    323.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Level 6
Hi there,
I have tested out your map and here's my opinion.

Good things:
-I don't know the Hyrule map from Zelda, but i suppose it really looks alike :)
-New units and heroes
-There's a lot of races yet to come

Things that could use improvement
-There's a few little bugs with the gateways
-Balancing of units (as you mentioned)
-Remove either the Arcane tower or the High Elven guard tower, they're both the same, but one requires tech and is so much better, that the other one becomes totally useless.

Things that need improvement
-Gateways inside your main base could be camped with lots of towers, making it impossible to destroy someone's base
-The terrain is very empty, add some doodads and some more terrain tiles

That's my opinion. Hope you can use it. Good luck!

Level 5
Thanks for the input, I'll cover your concerns.

-There's a few little bugs with the gateways

How so? They all seemed to function properly, except the rock passages which are supposed to go in a circle. I need a little info about this one.

-Remove either the Arcane tower or the High Elven guard tower, they're both the same, but one requires tech and is so much better, that the other one becomes totally useless.

The goal was to add a "super" arcane tower for the Elves, but I can see your point, I might just make it so the arcane tower itself is buffed up with the mastery and remove the Elven One (Or make the mastery replace it).

-Gateways inside your main base could be camped with lots of towers, making it impossible to destroy someone's base

Yeah I actually thought of this myself, I'll need to make an anti-camping region or something, or limit the number of towers built or such, I'll need to think about it.

-The terrain is very empty, add some doodads and some more terrain tiles

Yeah I thought of this to, but as the terrain is complete functionally, I was putting it aside for game play changes. I'll get to it eventually.

Thanks again for the input. I'll upload the next version once the Horde is complete!

Level 5
Yep I planned on it, but seeing as how it's based off an 8 bit map, that was bound to happen. My goal is, now that I finished the terrain (To a playable state), I will take on units, and once those are complete, I can go back and fine tune the terrain to make it look a bit less blocky.

you created hills with the up/lower terrain tool instead of using cliff, is okay,
but maybe you want to put some block path so the unit wont transite your hills

I thought I did do this, unless you mean something else. Units can't move over the rock terrain, perhaps I messed it up when I released it. Or did you open it up in the editor first? If you open it up in the standard editor the terrain will not function properly, I'm using another editor.

Level 5
The original Hyrule in the NES Zelda didn't have a town/city.

http://ian-albert.com/games/legend_of_zelda_maps/

Back on map subject, I almost have a "skeleton" Orc faction in place. I have the new units/techs/etc. ready, just none of the abilities yet (Granted the Champion and Siege Golem don't have abilities yet either). Should have another version soon. No Orc AI though.

Level 5
UPDATE!

Orc faction is done. I even made an AI for it (Two of the masteries anyway) As you might notice, a few things are missing.

1: The Blood Pact research doesn't effect anything yet.
2: Ogre Magi doesn't have a master ability.
3: Grom doesn't have a 3rd ability, Like with other named heros, their passives have become "built in", so his critical strike is there from the get-go.

I'll update my original post with the new version.

Level 6
Hello, I have played your map and here is my feedback from what I experienced.
Here are the good parts:
- The Control Point idea is just awesome. Although used much it really fits, especially with AI, which makes it more entertaining
- The Masteries idea is great, however I don't know if this is a bug or is intended: I can research multiple masteries at once, which kinda ruins the whole Masteries idea

Here are the bugs I found:
- Orc AI is bugged big time. They build waaay too much Great Halls, they train HUGE amounts of troops that don't cost food at all which completely ruined the game

Other than the bugged orc AI, it's really fun.

Level 5
- The Masteries idea is great, however I don't know if this is a bug or is intended: I can research multiple masteries at once, which kinda ruins the whole Masteries idea

That's intended for testing purposes, when the map is done it will be one only.

- Orc AI is bugged big time. They build waaay too much Great Halls, they train HUGE amounts of troops that don't cost food at all which completely ruined the game

Hmm that's odd, it worked fine when I tried it, I'll take a look at it. Also the max food is 300, so you can have a lot more troops, are you sure it wasn't costing any food?

EDIT: I think I see the problem, I think I coped the trigger to start the Orc AI but forgot to change each to separate players. That will only take like 3 minutes to fix and then I'll make an update.

EDIT2: Damn there was a lot of wrong triggers with spawning AI starting units, I remember doign them but I think I must of forgot to save, it should be fixed now, uploading in my original post.

EDIT3: The AI is blacking some of their peons off with buildings, causing the game to lag... I'll fix that tonight. In the mean time, keep that in mind and if it's a big issue set it to one or two AIs for testing.

Last edited:
Level 6
Sorry about the comment for the Orc AI. It isn't bugged (or maybe it is), Player 2 Blue is bugged. He doesn't get the dialog window, instead Orc race is instantly picked for him, he gets 3 Great Halls instead of one and instead of 5 Peons he gets 15 of them.

Level 5
Sorry about the comment for the Orc AI. It isn't bugged (or maybe it is), Player 2 Blue is bugged. He doesn't get the dialog window, instead Orc race is instantly picked for him, he gets 3 Great Halls instead of one and instead of 5 Peons he gets 15 of them.

Yeah I fixed it. It was because when I made the triggers to start the Orc AI and create the Orc units some of the other players were still set to player 2, which caused player 2 to receive the starting units of 2 other players.

Also the AI doesn't pick a dialog window, it's just given units depending on what faction they are set to at the start of the game. My original post should have the fixed version.

Status
Not open for further replies.