• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My First Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
mi first terrrain
its a apocolypse scene where everii ting is gone accept for tis guy and he have alot of stuff collected frm other ppl .. i spend 10 min doin tgat
so it btr be good :wthumbsup:

Attachments

• lol.jpg
    lol.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 297
Level 7
Use fog. It will make it look somewhat better. Also don't use blizzard cliffs inless you absoultly know how to make it look good. Instead of using blizzard cliffs use the "Rise" tool the terrian editor has. It makes it look alot more natural. Your terrian definatly needs work but even though I suck at terrianing I know what to do. I just don't like putting time into it. Anyways you need to put more effort, your terrian definatly looks like it could be good its just that little extra the terrianers put in that makes everything look special, original, and creative. Keep trying, for a first time its not that horribly bad! :wthumbsup:
Edit: Also if you want to use units use a color corresponding with what type of terrian you have. Mainly you should use dark green or brown because they blend in with the terrian very well. If you want a very light and happy place you want to use a more yellow units. If its dark then like you used use red. Also you should put a sky in the backround and use something along the lines of View game settings. Or something like that. Keep trying and good luck!

Level 8
This is horrible. Seriously, why would you expect a good response about this terrain? Look around the board, find out what works and what doesnt. Look at good terrainers like Madsen and Happytauren and see what they did right.

I could seriously point out whats wrong with your terrain for a longer period of time than you spent making it, which should never be the case on this board.

Level 8
Theres a difference between first terrain and your first semi good terrain. No one wants to see a bunch of raised cliffs with random units and cinematic effects spammed everywhere.

Level 34
Best advice I can give is to look at other peoples work. This really isn't a post-able screen.

Level 9
Yeah i guess you should look some more at other peoples work, and practice ALOT more before you make your first post. Because honestly this terrain sucks very badly.

Dont be offended by the harsh replies, we got a tsunami of baddie first terrain threads lately, its burning my eyes really (perhaps i should terrain abit soon)

its not a my first terrain forum, its a forum were you display the best of your stuff

Level 34
I think we overkilled the "this sucks" replies. Don't bash peoples work so bad, or at least leave a helpful comment.

Level 34
Totally agreed. It isn't a helpful coment "omg guy your terrain sux u bad", like normally oziris ones.

Lol this sucks for a first terrine!No doodads, ther are stupid unitis and buildings and not good looking cliffs try to use rise terrine tool.And ther are tuts read more man hear are some links:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34751
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31549

hear is the UTM-ultimate terrain map:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31859

Good luck!

Seems to be helping... and his grammar is improving!

Wow.Sucks.Seriously put some more work on it.Are you happy with that?

This is useless.

Level 28
[...]

Seems to be helping... and his grammar is improving!

[...]

This is useless.

Agreed. I've noticed that Oziris is improving at this english and coments. You must know Oziris much more than me, and you probably know more than me if his english improved or not.

Oh, and my english is not good too, so feel free to correct my grammar mistakes! lol

Level 6
I don't even understand how it took you ten minutes to do that. Even an amateur terrainer such as myself, could do that in less then five minutes. All you did was raise some cliffs in a minute or two. Added about ten doodads in about one minute. Took two minutes to add some random units to it, and presto! We have a terrible terrain that shows below minimal effort. Try to look up some terrain tutorials in the General Mapping Tutorial section.

Next time you post here, please, learn some better grammar.

Level 12
...The terrain is random and has no sense at all and i have to agree that 10 minutes is a bit too much for making something like that but theres a first time for everything.Look back and try to remember how your very FIRST map or map attempt looked.Probably the same,maybe even worse.Dont to be so harsh on the terrain,the only thing that should be criticized here is him using this forum for posting screens of his first attempt to use the apply cliff option.
Also not everyone was born in england or america,so its kinda stupid to criticize people for their use of english grammar.Its fair enough for others to understand what he meant.

Level 7
Look back and try to remember how your very FIRST map or map attempt looked.Probably the same,maybe even worse.Dont to be so harsh on the terrain,the only thing that should be criticized here is him using this forum for posting screens of his first attempt to use the apply cliff option.

Agreed. Bout time someone understads what I'm saying XD. + rep!

Level 24
Heres a little tip for you and many many other terrainers:
Never make a terrain thread with a title like: my first terrain!
It looks really unprofisional, doesnt attract people (sometimes it does, but in most cases NO!) and it does not give us sympathi if it looks crappy ass horrible (dunno if i spelled right, but know what i mean anyway).

Level 25
Users flaming? Next time it happens, those who participated in the flame shall be given infractions and possible negative reputation.

PS: Sorry for not moderating this thread earlier. I was very busy, but I will try to be more active here again, like I used to.

~Craka_J

Level 15
This is horrible. Seriously, why would you expect a good response about this terrain? Look around the board, find out what works and what doesnt. Look at good terrainers like Madsen and Happytauren and see what they did right.

I could seriously point out whats wrong with your terrain for a longer period of time than you spent making it, which should never be the case on this board.

I know the thread is a bit old, but I just can't help myself. I HAVE to comment this fool:

Yes, his terrain is not the beste I've seen. But show me a picture of your first terrain ?
Really, it's his first one. I'll bet HappyTauren's first terrain didn't look much better either. And do you know why Madsen is so good ? Because he has talent, that's for shure. AND, because he had people telling him what he did right, and what he did wrong with his terrains. Not like you in other words, who just told this poor guy to basicly go fuck off.

''
I could seriously point out whats wrong with your terrain for a longer period of time than you spent making it''

Instead of just saying that, do it. I don't care how much time you spend on helping him, just do it if you really want to help him. If you don't wish to, then don't bother posting.

Grow up !

Level 8
''
I could seriously point out whats wrong with your terrain for a longer period of time than you spent making it''

Instead of just saying that, do it. I don't care how much time you spend on helping him, just do it if you really want to help him. If you don't wish to, then don't bother posting.

Grow up !
I fully agree with you. While people think I flame, I always give constructive critism. There is one post in this thread that sorta makes me feel ashamed of myself tho (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=400842#post400842) because I wrote in in a very bad way, but I rest my case however. You've got to be ready to handle some harsh words from idiots when you f.ex. post your first terrain. Try to prove the idiots wrong instead of going emo.

Level 25
Harsh critique is good. But pointing out the at least decent parts is a good way to keep the creator of the terrains from "going emo", saving lots of stress and pointless arguements that go on continuously for days.

Calling noob terrainers idiots simply because they cannot accept the critique they asked for (Whether you mention it in post or not, uploading your terrains here will recieve feedback whether it is wanted or unwanted) is not technically correct, at least not 100%. It is more of ignorance, contradiction, and hypocritical. Idiocy comes right after those though, so in a sense, you are correct Mr. SeruK!

Though, being polite and nice to all users here, no matter how dumb or arrogant they may be, is greatly appreciated, since it keeps flamers at bay and I have less work to do as a moderator, hence why I appreciate it so much. :grin:

~Craka_J

Level 8
Harsh critique is good. But pointing out the at least decent parts is a good way to keep the creator of the terrains from "going emo", saving lots of stress and pointless arguements that go on continuously for days.

Calling noob terrainers idiots simply because they cannot accept the critique they asked for (Whether you mention it in post or not, uploading your terrains here will recieve feedback whether it is wanted or unwanted) is not technically correct, at least not 100%. It is more of ignorance, contradiction, and hypocritical. Idiocy comes right after those though, so in a sense, you are correct Mr. SeruK!
I'm not sure you understood me correctly though, I called the peeps (me included probably) bashing the fellow idiots, not the other way around. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.