• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My First Terrain Map: Night Elf Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
My first map dedicated to pure aesthetics...

What do you guys think? I haven't seen someone do something like this although I'm sure its out there. =/

Terraining_FirstTry01b.jpg

Terraining_FirstTry01v11.jpg

Last edited:
nice execution in placing the doodads, although the atmosphere doesn't work at all..

to have fog of war of the colour white = doesn't give valour to your terrain at all.
I suggest you using ''dark green, dark purple, teal'' fog colours for a night-elf terrain, also don't be scared to play with the ''fog model'' found in the ''Doodad --> cinematic'' of the UTM it's how the pro do their atmosphere.. it's hard to master, but when you do, your terrain will go from (meeh it's good..at... OH SHI! o(O.O)o )

hope it helps you out.

Level 6
nice execution in placing the doodads, although the atmosphere doesn't work at all..

to have fog of war of the colour white = doesn't give valour to your terrain at all.
I suggest you using ''dark green, dark purple, teal'' fog colours for a night-elf terrain, also don't be scared to play with the ''fog model'' found in the ''Doodad --> cinematic'' of the UTM it's how the pro do their atmosphere.. it's hard to master, but when you do, your terrain will go from (meeh it's good..at... OH SHI! o(O.O)o )

hope it helps you out.

Thanks. Raising ALL those doodads up the tree was a pain. >.< But I guess it was worth it.

I'll edit my map with your ideas in mind as soon as I can. Thanks!

Thanks. Raising ALL those doodads up the tree was a pain. >.< But I guess it was worth it.

I'll edit my map with your ideas in mind as soon as I can. Thanks!

good luck! :D

also, take your time, no need to rush, I myself suck at making epic looking skys with the UTM fog doodad.. you should ask xxThedeathtunderxx or Megafyr for some help about it.

Level 6
Nice Idea and I have seen nothing like this either, only other cities in the trees but they were more like wooden towns. I would reduce the amount of doodads, it looks a bit stuffed. Sometimes less is quite more. Personally I dislike the small trees. What I really do like are the stony platforms within and around the giant trees.

Level 18
off of what goblin said, if u want a good sky just follow these steps :

Use the Uber cloud model, all the same size, multiple times at the same angle at very low tint. All the uber clouds tend to stack on top of each other, giving it a kinda fuzzzy unclear but solid look to it.

Then just use a small to medium size glow very close to the camera. Tint the glow so that it either is the opposite color of the envirnment, or the exact same color. i tend to play around and use opposite colors.

btw, your structure is great. i couldnt help but notice the shadow of the structure on the water? it loks very accurate and awsome.
+rep and ADD a sky >=D

Level 6
Thanks! I'm currrently terraining something for someone but afterwards I'll edit my terrain with all your guy's ideas and see how it turns out. Since I'm new at it I don't know all the tricks of the trade just yet. And oh you like my reflections? xD I spent FOREVER trying to find how everyone makes their water look good, but alas, I found NO tuts on it. :( So I have blue water. =x Oh, well.

Level 6
i like the smaller trees ;)

its nice, a little cluttered, the sunken ruins walls dont fit at all with the overall color scheme!

THANKS! Well, it was intended to be a little clustered. I was gonna put in units around the place (such as on top the tree) but THAT was looking clustered to me. At one point I had a huge mountain giant chillin by the boat. But yea I got some work to do anyway... Just a note... I put the trees there to make the trees in the background look even smaller to add more depth. ANNND I was thinkin bout makin the sunken ruin walls purple... but it didn't look right... not too many good night elf walls either. =( Between the pedastals and the walls I'd hoped the sunken ruins would blend okay...

Level 6
Updated** Added v1.1 of the terrain. I added the darker fog like Mister G suggested.
Added the glow like deathhunter said
Took away some clutter like that solaris and morpheous suggested. (Put in different trees)

Originally (before i posted first one) I wanted the whole water to fog up on the island but I couldn't get that to work. >.<

Level 7
really creative dude!+rep but am asking where you find that big trunk of tree i been finding that so long i cant find it the wc3 editor or i just miss it..

Level 6
really creative dude!+rep but am asking where you find that big trunk of tree i been finding that so long i cant find it the wc3 editor or i just miss it..

why none other than the world tree. :D

i_brg_doom said:
Looks intresting yet i think the background you could have spended more time on that but besides that not bad. +chocolate cookie for you

Thanks, chocolate is good. And your probably right- I was pretty focused on the main Night Elf Tree Place...

Status
Not open for further replies.