• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music and nostalgia that brings you back to your times on Warcraft or Hive

Level 32
I have just finished publishing my first ever public music album review and I started getting a lot of nostalgic memories of Warcraft 3 and Hive, so now I'm here visiting again!

What music and pop culture do you guys associate with WC3?

I remember hearing nightcore remixes of Numb by Linkin Park in Run Kitty Run, and Numb/Encore in Slide Ninja Slide. I became a big Linkin Park fan during high school shortly sometime after that, and was enamored with working on staff projects on Hive at that time. I was still a small child in the early 2000s but I somehow hit that 2003 culture stride with my 2 main interests in high school in the 2010s. No regrets.

Another thing that was everywhere at the time was Lord of the Rings. MAN were there so many LotR maps.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I clearly remember listening to Staind while making a Brood War custom campaign. When I was younger, I also sampled some of Linkin's Park songs and used that as character lines in Brood War mission briefing rooms xD ("I can't hold on, it's all too much to take it"). Around that time, I think, when I was doing my first World Editor experiments, I was listening to Nirvana a lot.
Also listened a lot to Tiesto when I played Counter-Strike 1.6.
But of course, there was a lot more (bands, artists, soundtracks) but I can't pinpoint it exactly when or in what context related to any game.

I definitely have some music and songs that I personally associate with my Warcraft 3 experiences, definitely.

As one example, I developed an RPG in 2004 while singing the death egg music from Sonic Battle anytime that I had the map file open. In my head, that song still belongs to that map, now.

Last edited:
Level 23
When summer comes around and it's time to replay The Founding of Durotar, I always slam on A-ha's Minor Earth / Major Sky. I must have bought the CD about the time the 2nd and 3rd missions came out (patch... 1.13?), so it was on regular rotation while I was enjoying those for the first time.