• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

More Kobolds - Kobold disease/zombie hero

Level 14
I thought people might be having too much fun over the Christmas break so I'm here to bore you to death if you were foolish enough to click this topic.

I've started my next Kobold model and my aim is a disease caster hero. I'm not looking to make a masterpiece atm so it's a bit lower effort*. A secondary a goal is to build the model up from literally nothing as a bit of a learning experience, and also to only use internal game textures. This hero choice is tied to my Kobold concept taking some inspiration from Skaven, and also overlaps a little with inspiration from Dwarf Fortress.

I'll get to the point and post what I have so far, which is very rough early stages:

seducer1.PNG
seducer2.PNG
seducer3.PNG

I've got most of the basic bones in there to test out joints and see how it moves around, whether it looks terrible or clips etc. No finished animations yet.
The majority of the model is skinned from Draenei, face is Acolyte, and the eyes are from Dryad. I tried out a lot of eye options and thought I'd just have to remodel the face entirely but I'm pretty happy with this atm. At least in the normal game environment, I think it looks good from a distance.
Toxic green eyes from Pitlord or Treant portrait eyes were the only other ones I thought looked any good without a remodel.

What do people think of the Ball and Socket joints for the arms? I think 99% of models have visible limbs continuous with the torso, but does it really matter?

I don't think the colour is an issue, as given the Geomancer versus the other types, it's established that they can have very varied colours, which is also beneficial as it helps differentiate them.

One issue I have is I think I'm torn between about three different concepts for the hero: I first just wanted to make a more Koboldish version of the Ghoul, Kinda like this Kobold Slave, but you know, more polished and pimped out. Then I also have this idea of a filthy, rotten Minnie Mouse, which is what my little pencil sketch looked a bit like. But most depictions of Kobolds don't have that style of mousy look, so I kinda want it to fit the look of WC3 - WOW Kobolds, especially the face.
Additionally, I have this idea that it should be creepy, but be playful and mischievous, and a bit psychotic looking. I want the portrait to look unhinged and have weird twitches or an unnerving grin. It might skip around playfully like the Imp from WOW.
I also had this early idea to make it more androgynous, but I'm moving away from that a bit.

Some other little details I'll probably add later:
  • A little shovel in the right hand, thematic with mining but also gardening. Part of my Kobold idea is underground mushroom farming (a la Dwarf Fortress).
  • Creepy fingers/claws on the left hand to add character, or use in idle animations. I'm thinking like Classic WOW Worgen idle animation.
  • Larger ears than most of the other Kobolds
  • It has the shawl thing over a shoulder to add more TC but I don't think I like the idea even if I fleshed it out more.
  • The posture will generally be more hunched despite the T-pose.
    • This makes me worry it needs more stuff on its back to look interesting.
If it matters, the spell archetypes atm are: Life Drain and two dots. The ult is Charm, but atm I'm open to changing that. But for Life Drain it needs a channel animation similar to Bloodmage imo. Or where it holds out its hands and wiggles its fingers while draining.

Anyway, I'd love some other people's opinions, ideas or other input to take into consideration.
Some of the stuff mentioned in my geomancer thread might not have made it into that model but gave me ideas for future ones.

*I want to make a 'GeoQueen' hero model eventually, but I'm only gonna attempt that as one of my last models so I have a lot more practice under my belt. I also want to do a High Priest of Candles that I have high expectations for, too.