• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Monster Hunter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
[[Mission]]
To create a Monster Hunter type warcraft3 map. Monster Hunter is probably the best rpg out there. And maybe some of you will look into it because of this map, that, and a MH related wc3 map? Consider asses to be kicked.

[[Why is this map different from other ORPG maps?]]
-Hero's will have no levels. There is no experiance earned. What do you get for killing
monsters then? Monster Parts, which are used or sold for money.

-Progression through the game is based on equipment.

-All of your equipment is fasioned out of the parts that you get from monster corpses.
[Example = Velociprey Hide + Bullfango Hide + Iron Ore + Velociprey Claw will
earn you a "Velociprey Mail"]

-Heros survive by making tools they need in the field. [Example = Herb + Blue mushroom
will get you a potion, adding honey, makes it a mega potion]

[[What kind of cool goodies do we get to play with?]]

-Equipment System. Players put on and actually equip their items, which means they will not reside in the hero's inventory.

-Combination System. As mentioned above players can combine materials into new useful objects.

-Mining System. Good old minin' for minerals. [we do not need more vespian gas. ;) ]

-Other systems planned for adding are
--Dashing/dodgeing system
--climbing system

[[Sounds good, is there anyway i can get involved in this project?]]
-Yes! the fallowing positions are needed...

--Savegame/loadgame expert = Position open!
--Monster AI trigger editor = Position open!
--3D artist = Position open!

I will be doing the rest ^_~;

[[Sweet deal dood, where can i get up to date info like Closed / Open Beta / Map progress?]]

-Why... right freakin here man! :D

Closed Beta Date -> SOON! :D
Open Beta Date -> n/a
Next Version Date -> n/a

[[Updates]]

Update 1 [Initial Progress Bars Added]
-Equip system started
-1st area of 1st field completed

Update 2
-Equipment system finished.
-Picked out some of the monster models that look "similar" to MH's bosses and minions.

Update 3
-Flushed out the combo system
-Found a small anoying bug with unequip (weapons and leggings unequip both slots)
-Added and Finished mineing system

Update 4
-Fixed equipment system to handle all four players(cause i didnt initially do this, becausei have downs.)
-Added 1 more recipie? insignificant update wooooooo
-started laying out the basic area structure for the rest of forrest and hills.
-Formatted this post for epic justice.[Cleaned up this post]

Update 5
-Started working on the equipment system, you can now craft one weapon, one chest piece, one helmet, and one legging. nothing epic, but the system is working? sort of. For some reason player 3 and 4 cant make the chest or leggings. so, i just need to take another look when im not sleep deprived. lol.

Update 6
-Added 6 new armor pieces
-Fixed up the multiplayer equipment code ( flawless now. )
-Prettied up icons for Gathering and Comboing Item abilities on the hero
-Next i will be atempting to make flashbangs, and the hero change models with equipment.

Update 7
-Started the custom triggers to control Boss AI.[awesome shiz]
-Chest armor now controls what the user looks like.[More Awesome shiz]

Progress Bars*
Terrain
[||||||||||]-Forrest And Hills
[||||||||||]-Jungle
[||||||||||]-Swamp
[||||||||||]-Volcano
[||||||||||]-Desert
[||||||||||]-Snowy Mountains
[||||||||||]-Town
Equipment Items
[||||||||||]
Material Items
[||||||||||]
Field Combo system
[||||||||||] DONE!
Town Combo System
[||||||||||]
Equipment system
[||||||||||] DONE!
Dash System
[||||||||||]
Monster Boss A.I.
[||||||||||] - Yian Kut Ku
[||||||||||] - Bulldrome
[||||||||||] - Gypceros
[||||||||||] - Garuga
[||||||||||] - Khezu
[||||||||||] - Rathalos
[||||||||||] - Rathian
[||||||||||] - Fatalis
[||||||||||] - Diamo Hermitaur
[||||||||||] - Shogun Cenitaur
[||||||||||] - Kirin
[||||||||||] - Chameleos
[||||||||||] - Hypnock
[||||||||||] - (That new cystal scorpion thing just anounced)
[||||||||||] - Lao Shan Lung [not looking forward to this]

Monster Art Selection
[||||||||||] Done!
Hero Model Change System[built into equip system]
[||||||||||] Done!
Quests
[||||||||||]
Quest Unlock / Picker system
[||||||||||]
Mineing System
[||||||||||] DONE!
Gathering System
[||||||||||]

Last edited:
Level 2
Alrighty, for those who have never played a monster hunter title, which i highly recomment popping on youtube and checking it out, it is by far the best game i have ever played. but heres a quick rundown

hero's are level-less, and progression through the game is made by making better and better equipment.

Players obtain these equippent pieces by crafting them off the parts that a player carves off a monster

so, standard progression through the game would be like this...

Hunter has basic basic armor, made of furs and cloths. that player starts off by killing really small monsters and gathering materials(1 carve per corpse)
and useing the scales hides, teeth, claws, and bones, to craft new armor pieces, and new weapons.

Players can also gather certain items spread around each "field".

If a player gathers a "sap plant" and a "stone" they can make bomb material, if they combine bomb material with a flashbug, they create a flashbang, which will temp. blind monsters who saw the flash go off.

or, they can combine the bomb material with say dung, to make a dung bomb, to scare away higher up wyverns / dragons that the player cant handle.

most materials will have 2 or 3 uses. and each combonation has its on failure rate. EQuipping a character with a combonation guide, will up those %'s slightly

i get to take great care in making the terrain for this, as the terrain will be re-useable for each quest.

Upon taking a quest, the players will leave town and arvve at the area destined for the quest. each quest will trigger monster spawns, for minion monsters, which are locked to invidual sub area's of the field. as well as a main wyvern(read:boss)[three carves] Which can fly from area to area. and will do so randomly, or, if it is getting it's ass kicked it may fly to safty and try and rest(sleep)

this is going to be a massive project. but those willing to help, please speak up. i think this would be a fantastically fun map to play. the first person i suppose i am going to need is someone who can easily create a save/load system. i will try and finish up the terrain, and create all the custom items needed for this game, and the person can work the save / load code from there. if u are interested in filling that possition, please say so :D:grin:
:EDIT: heres a video to set the mood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xIiBgwiOaA

Level 2
sounds great! But this ultra combination system seems like LOT of work!

The combo system isnt what im really worried about to be honest ^_^;

in the real mh, you go to the shop, and buy the equipment piece, and use the materials to make it. so you need two things, money, and parts.

i was thinking of having a seperate inventory box system. which will hold up to 6 materials. players will buy blueprint-ish items from the stores, and upon useing them, if the materials exist, it will break the blueprint, and replace the materials with the newly created items.

like this.

player buys "Bone sword" blueprint, which requires 1 large monster bone, 1 iron ore, and 1 bullfango hide.

it replaces those materials with a Bone Sword( + 5 atk)

then the player buys a "Bone Sword +" blue print, which the player puts his sword in the materials box, and then uses the blue print. which requires 1 Bone Sword, 1 Iron Ore, and 1 velociprey fang"

sometimes the player can upgrade a weapon in more then 1 way. weapons have a "tree-style" upgrade pattern.

armor is not upgradeable, but is crafted the same way.

Level 2
sounds good^^ Making a box like in Tbr?
i actualy may not need to.

im moving equipped items over to a spellbook system which will work just fine, and leave our 6 item slots open for materials and combining.

heres how the spellbook system works.

player has a Bone Sword in the inv.

player uses a Bone Sword item in his inventory

player's spell book gets an invisible +3 dmg ability
player's spell book gets a visible "Bone Sword" ability. This ability, when used will remove itself, remove the invisible ability, and give back the Bone sword item to the player.

This way players can equip and unequip equipment, and have open inventory.

Level 2
Alright, i have gotten the equipment system working. slightly, differently than i hoped, but as long as it works, im happy.

Although i'm in for writing some really long triggers. but they are for equipping and un equipping items. which can only been in town, when players arent on a quest, so lag isnt really an issue. even if it takes a full second for a player to equip a piece of equipment,(which would be abou the real time in MH) it's not really an issue.

Once i get a few pieces of demo equippment in, i will tackle the combo system.

I will be useing 2 types of combo systems.

A) The Field Combo System
This combo system will use chat commands to combine items in your inventory. This will be a breeze to code.
B) The Town/Equipment System
This is essentially the same system, but it can only be done in town, this is seperated for 2 reasons. 1 , save on trigger size/lag, and to prevent players with playing with equipment in the field while questing.

I will also be editing the first post with progress.

UPDATE:::
I have completed the equipment system, it will be handleing four pieces of equipment
Helm,Chestpiece,Leggings, and your weapon.
UPDATE:::
Alright, chat commanded combo system was a bad idea. I decided to make an ability that combos your items if you have any. that seems to work just fine. It is easily modified into the equipment combo system, just need to make it check if you are in town first is all.
UPDATE::: Alrighty folks worked from 630am to 142pm today, and got ALOT acomplished. I'll update this later, time to go do that real life thing :jd:

Last edited:
Level 11
LordPhroze requested me to describe what I meant by saying about hunger and versatility.

Hunger is an amount that shows how long time it remians until you die of stravtation. (It can either be used as Gold and be decreased every few seconds (9 secs), initial amount is 100, or hunger may be used as unit's life, or just be showed on a private multiboard.) Hunger may be restored by consuming food.

Last edited:
Level 2
LordPhroze requested me to describe what I meant by saying about hunger and versatility.

Hunger is an amount that shows how long time it remians until you die of stravtation. (It can either be used as Gold and be decreased every few seconds (9 secs), initial amount is 100, or hunger may be used as unit's life, or just be showed on a private multiboard.) Hunger may be restored by consuming food.

Technically you dont die from starvation. It makes it so you can't run. Can this be done?
The hero's MP would be a perfect stamina bar.

Level 2
Just stopping in to let everyone know this project is still active, and still going strong, as I said in the first post with Update 7, The art exchange system for the hero is done, as to how well it works will have to wait until i make all the armor items.

If you are interested in testing this out, please private message me.

Status
Not open for further replies.