• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[model] Lowpoly gnoll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
[Model] Lowpoly Gnoll - map in the final balancing stages. Site and screens inside

logo.jpg

I need a lowpoly gnoll unit for a map made by aBys.baltazhar and myself called Winterspring Wargames (in short WSW)

The map is in the rabbits vs sheep style and we are basically done with RC1 of ver 1.0 - as of now, we have a public beta testing of beta 0.80 and it is already rather popular on Garena in the Malaysian rooms. When we are done with the 1.0 we will have a hostbot on Bnet as well to allow people to play even if they cant host.

If you are watching this and wondering if the map is worth it, I urge you to try it for yourself. You can download it on www.winterspring-wargames.com where you can also see alot of screenshots, a detailed walkthrough of all the heroes and items, a worldmap and our forum. There is a singleplayer function if you wanna try the map. Remember that the computer will always have the same "dummy hero" and it only has 4 different strategies but it should give you an idea of the different new aspects of the game. Also, any contributer will naturally have his/her name in the credits and on the site.

Needed animations are:
- Attack
- Death
- Walk
- As few as possible actually

Note that we also need a lowpoly version of a kobold unit but that request is in the kobold thread

Lastly, flashing some screens for those too lazy to go to the site first ;)
screen3.jpg
screen11.jpg
screen5.jpg
screen1.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
Thanks to both of you :)

We would prefer newly made models since it supposedly has a much better potential for poly reduction. That said, squishing them quite a few times would definately be appreciated so we can get some more testing done.

@ DarkHorse08: The concern is appreciated but we are dealing in ~200 units on the map at any given moment (technically from 170-210 depending on the mode plus heroes and summons for a grand total of 190-230 if we assume that all heroes have 1 summon on average). This means that we are talking about rather massed units so detail becomes harder to notice. On top of this you can zoom to 1600/2000/2400 so detail becomes even less evident.

I must admit however that I know little on the exact impact of polys other than what I have had explained which, in its short version is:
the engine only cares about polys and not units as such, that most models have ~1200 polys and that the engine is made to handle up to ~240.000 polys - this means that lower poly count on massed units will drastically reduce the performance issues on the older computers

Status
Not open for further replies.