• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model/actor change, when researched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys,
i am new to this and my english is really bad but i hope you know what my problem is and what i want to create:)
So i have tried to build a tower-shoot-aoe map but i got huge problems with this morphing ability...got all three races and then weak-medium-strong-strongest but i wasn't able to morph to the strongest, the button wasn't displayed anymore... it was ridiculous...and the funniest thing is that i was able to morph from weak to strong, and if i had placed the strong in the data editor, i was able to morph it to the strongest, but not that one, which was morphed... Anyway, if you have a guess about this problem, post it, maybe its just easier to fix that problem, as to help me, with my new idea ;)
So my reason for sign up to this forum, is, that i want to change my actor/model, if a research is finished...so i changed events of my wall, but i don't know, what terms and so on i have to change... then i tried to kill it with a effect and replace it instantly .. but i couldn't connect this effekt to the upgrade... so if you have an idea, what i could try to solve that problem, PLS tell me :)
And if not, maybe you have some other good ideas, how i could do this ;)
I am sorry, that this post is long, wasn't supposed to be that long...
Thank you in advance for every helpful answer or even your opinion about my english :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So i have tried to build a tower-shoot-aoe map but i got huge problems with this morphing ability...got all three races and then weak-medium-strong-strongest but i wasn't able to morph to the strongest, the button wasn't displayed anymore... it was ridiculous...and the funniest thing is that i was able to morph from weak to strong, and if i had placed the strong in the data editor, i was able to morph it to the strongest, but not that one, which was morphed... Anyway, if you have a guess about this problem, post it, maybe its just easier to fix that problem, as to help me, with my new idea ;)
Check the command cards for the towers and the validators used by the morph ability.

So my reason for sign up to this forum, is, that i want to change my actor/model, if a research is finished...so i changed events of my wall, but i don't know, what terms and so on i have to change... then i tried to kill it with a effect and replace it instantly .. but i couldn't connect this effekt to the upgrade... so if you have an idea, what i could try to solve that problem, PLS tell me :)
You make the orignal actor be created on condition that the upgrade is not researched. When the upgrade completes you destroy all the orignal actors and create the improved actors. With the improved actor you create it them only on condition that the upgrade is researched.

Just because all units should have a unit actor does not mean they need to keep to the same unit actor all the time.

Level 2
Check the command cards for the towers and the validators used by the morph ability.
checked it several times... maybe i am just not supposed to know ^^
You make the orignal actor be created on condition that the upgrade is not researched. When the upgrade completes you destroy all the orignal actors and create the improved actors. With the improved actor you create it them only on condition that the upgrade is researched.
tried it... well it doesn't work out like i want, the actor is destroyed, when i research, but it isn't created again, when its finish...it is also destroyed, when the research finishes so its wrong anyway...
Maybe i dont get you right, in Events+ of Rock 1 i created:
Msg Type: Upgrade
Source Name: Rock 1_2 Upgrade
Sub Name: Add
-> Destroy
and Rock 2:
Source Name: Rock 1_2 Upgrade
Sub Name: Remove
-> Create
Add and Remove sounds strange, but upgrade means upgrade so...
wheres the error? :)
(Thanks Dr Super Good for your fast answer!)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Add and Remove sounds strange, but upgrade means upgrade so...
wheres the error? :)
The problem is that an upgrade is player wide so does not really have a unit scope. What you need to do is make it so that when you destroy the un-upgraded actor it causes an upgraded actor to be created. You must also make it so that when the unit is built it will only make the upgraded actor after the upgrade is researched

Actors are very tricky and unfortunately I do not have a tried and tested approach to this (only vague guidelines). If you are still having problems you could send me the map (or at least an appropriate extract) so I can try and personally implement what you require.

Level 2
I think i know what you mean... But i tried it on different wayes, doens't work out fine...
Source Name: Rocks
Sub Name: Any
-> Destroy
and Rock 2:
Msg Type: Actor Destruction
-> Create

And it doesn't work...is it because there are two changes in the same second, do i need a delay, so the actor of rocks has to be destroyed a few moments before the actor of rocks2 is created?

Level 2
Well...i will just change the model now :)
Msg: Upgrade
->Model Swap XX
Msg: Upgrade
->Set Scale XX
and my new "Wall" is created... works fine with one, will try it with more later...
But thank you Dr Super Good, you've helped me a lot!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Yes you can just swap the model as well. I thought you specifically wanted the actor changed (as not all fields can be changed like that).

What is also a nice feature is you can change the textures used by a model as well so you could create some custom textures and have a model change its looks as you get upgrades. To do this you have to declare all used textures in the Models catalog entry that is used (see various Dark Protoss structures for how it is done).

Ok with a map like this its best if each "tower" is a seperate unit. You can have weapons and upgrades transfer no problem. But what it looks like you are suggesting is really more trouble than its worth.

Ok here is what we need for this method.

You need your.. was it 5 different units and actors.

Ok now you will need morph abilities. Now here is your template. I won't go into the morph ability here but for the actors.

On the unit actor you are morphing FROM:

abilitymorph.(Your morph ability).finish
-destroy (imediate)

On the unit actor you are morphing TO:

abilitymorph.(your morph ability).finish
-create

The end effect is when the morph ability is done it will be turned into the new tower with the new model. Just give them the same weapon (or different weapons if you want) and your set :)

Status
Not open for further replies.