• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Mmorpgs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Since my summer camp is finally over, I have time to sit down and blow some steam playing an online game. Searching on google proved quite fruitful in finding some decent listings (one in particular, gameogre.com, even had reviews, which was even more helpful) for free/subscription mmos. I began to look through the MMOs, and came upon various types, such as your casual "korean-style" grinding-till-you-die or more unique ones that have interesting and unique ideas. The reason I'm making this thread is so that we could link eachother good MMOs to play so that there isn't much hassle in looking for them ourselves. Please give a good description with the pros and cons of the game. Feel free to post your own opinions. But please- no ranting. If you don't like a certain game, don't link it. However, if you want to dispute about a game's pros and cons as to give the reader a different opinion, feel free, but be nice about it.

SOOOO! My game is Combat Arms. This is a relatively new MMOFPS (massively multiplayer online first person shooter) that is free (with an optional real money->virtual money thing... typical). What sets it apart from other shooters is it's realism. It's incredibly fast paced, and, if you aren't wearing body armor, you'll die in a few hits. It also features real-world weapons such as the M16 and the AK-47. The game has fairly detailed graphics that rival most other free mmos, but is playable on slower/older computers.

The gameplay is pretty simple, with various gametypes. Elimination is your basic Team Deathmatch, and One Man Army is your free for all. There is also an "assault" gametype in which one team tries to plant a bomb and another tries to defuse it before it blows. After each match, you are awarded with currency (known as GP) and XP (which, if enough is accumulated, will result in a level up, allowing for better, stronger equipment). GP can be used to buy weapons, armor, support items (such as grenades and flash bangs), and modifications, which can be used to tweak a weapon to your liking, such as silencing it and giving it a scope. However, you can only rent items. You can't actually buy them and keep them, except for the starter M16. But not to worry, after a few matches, the weapons you buy will pay for themselves... if your good.

Unfortunately, the game is plagued with a fair amount of hackers and glitchers. The nexon team tries to fight them off desperately, but it seems they aren't doing much about it.

All in all, Combat Arms is a fun game to play if you like fast paced shooters in the fashion of Unreal Tournament, and can eat up alot of time. See you on the battlefield!

Level 17
Wow dude. You basicly found a free FPS game with XP. Theres like so many ones that are 20 x better.

Infact, if you have a good PC just buy Battlefield 2 or 2142. Or if you have a really decent PC, buy Call of duty 4 or Vegas 2. All of these have XP. Battlefield also have vehicles. They are one time purchases and to my knowledge they arent that expensive anymore. 30 bucks for COD and vegas maybe? BF 2 and 2142 are cheaper.

Ya... getting an MMOFPS like that is kinda pointless....

And if you really want something free, just get Warrock. Which is 20 x better than that crap. Even maybe Soldat. Lolz

===

Ya enough about that, ok lets see... I havent really played any MMORPG's for a while. I dont like the concept, but i did try a few. I tried the EVE trial. It was ok.. a bit complicated and different but its ok.. if you dont feel like paying its something to do for about 2 weeks. Theres that anarchy online game, but i played that back in like 2 years. Its a cool sci-fi mmo thing. Its free but its expansions arent.

What else... umm...

Ya, i've yet to encounter any MMO that draws anywhere close to any of those. But i havent really played anything else.

and i still remember my runescape days... oh what a fucktard i was.

Level 15
Warrock has alot more hackers, so... yeah. And I'm saving ma' cash up for Starcraft II. Battlefield 2142 is awesome though. Titan is the best gametype I've ever played.

Level 15
I have another game that is probably one of my favorites. Sword of the New World is one of the most beautiful games ever. The graphics are gorgeous, the music is epic and amazing, the theme is something that's never been done before (colonization). It is a fantasy, but it's a good one. All the items look like they are from Europe during the colonial age. From rapiers to fancy dresses to floppish hats, you have it all.

Unfortunately, this IS a Korean game, so grinding isn't unexpected, and some of the english is a bit bad, but it all works out because of it's unique approach to combat. Instead of controlling one character, you control THREE, with a unique multi-character system that works amazing. You have the party leader, who the camera is locked onto, and who the other characters follow. The party leader could be changed anytime using the F1, F2, and F3 keys. The combat is very frantic, and your party will most definitely engage lots of opponents at once. This is a point-and-click, so you might have expected it to be difficult. Sure, clicking on individuals is hard. But you have something special... ctrl+clicking on an area sends your selected party members on a path of destruction, similar to the ctrl+a system in warcraft. You could also ctrl+shift+click to send them on a looting spree.

And there are some cool abilities as well. The 'fighter' class is able to stab his sword into an opponent and kick him far back, dealing hefty damage. The 'elementalist' is able to push enemies far back with a bolt of energy. It looks like I'm watching an interactive Mortal Kombat movie!

Unfortunately, the character customization (in terms of looks) is terrible. You can't change the hairstyle or face of your character. Hopefully the developers will change this in a future patch.

All in all, this is a game worth atleast trying. And if the gameplay or frantic combat doesn't captivate you, the music and graphics will.

Oh, and by the way, Andreja, you need to describe the MMO if you want to share it. In detail would help, too. Although many people (and I mean MANY) know about it, an in-depth description is required for it to be valid in this thread.

Level 36
I have just stopped playing MMO's all together. I want to focus on my LIFE right now, rather than gaming, and as tempting as WoW, and LOTRO, and WAR all are, the only subscription I have right now is my Xbox Live one.

For now, I'd recommend WoW to anyone who hasn't tried it, LOTRO to those who have tried it and don't mind it, and AOC to those looking for something different. WAR could kill all of these games if it ever comes out, and if it doesn't blow.

Level 15
Age of Conan is actually pretty neat. If they could do me a favor and release a TRIAL, I might consider looking for a private... er, nevermind.

Level 36
Normally I'd agree with you, but I've played the WAR alpha. And it's something else. Things are very different from WoW, and I think it has the potential to be better by learning from the mistakes that Blizzard made. I'm not saying WoW will die, but that it will be knocked from the top spot.

Level 13
Just to clear up to you brad.dude, incase you didn't know the release date for WAR is september 18th of 2008. Just making sure you know the release date :p .

Level 17
WAR could kill all of these games if it ever comes out, and if it doesn't blow.

Normally I'd agree with you, but I've played the WAR alpha. And it's something else. Things are very different from WoW, and I think it has the potential to be better by learning from the mistakes that Blizzard made. I'm not saying WoW will die, but that it will be knocked from the top spot.

Woah woah.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch junior

Level 15
So... what was it like? Was it awesome smashing dem humiez as da WAAAAAAGH!!!, or shooting a dozen bullets blindly while endorsed with tons of alcohol? Come on! Tell me tell me tell me!

Level 13
Level 36
Don't ask me how then, because a friend of a friend (Essentially) got access to it, shared it with my friend, and then he shared it with me, so I got a bit of play time through that. A lot of stuff was still broken, but there are some cool ideas, and the questing is EASY AS PIE, which makes the game way better.

Level 8
Used to play WoW; I got to level 40 with a Dwarf Hunter. Then I tried EVE.

Best game I have ever played (please don't hurt me; I still play WC3; just less)! And you dont need a super-awsume computer to play it (as in, new from 2-3 years); the graphics are friggen good; As in they use every trick in the book to make the best Sci-Fi space-ship flyer ever (+There is over 2500 solar systems and planning for 5,000)!

Here is the best friggen video ever!

I am going to be in the WAR open beta (pre-ordered). It will be fun! :D

Level 17
EVE is fun, i've tried it. But it gets old so fuckin fast. All the quests are the same exact thing. Kill X amount of enemies. All the enemies have like the same model, and its a total GRIND FEST.

See it has a different system, you choose skills that you want to level up. Each skill has a certain amount of time it takes to level up. You may only level one skill at a time.

So i leveled a few, each one takes about an hour, ok not bad. I try to go level 3.

"Time remaining, 32 days 16 hours and 42 minutes."

WTF? How gay, so no matter how long i play, I cannot get a new kickass frigate i want untill the time is over and my skill is leveled.

So that just fuckin ruined it for me, it was an enjoyable 10 days of easy leveling and new ships untill i hit that point.

Level 36
Really, the best MMORPG I've ever played is Starwars Galaxies. It totally blows now, but I'll get into that later.

SWG was different from other MMO's. Instead of having 9 or so main classes, it had close to 38 different classes. 6 were available for you to start from. You could mix and match these classes to make the best possible combo. You could not learn all of them. For example, my character was a Master Bounty Hunter/Master Combat Medic/Near Master Rifleman.

Another thing was JEDI. This was THE game that really stressed how rare jedi are in the Star Wars universe. It took a year and a half to go through all of the quest-chains and everything else to get to be a Padawan. It was HARDCORE, but it paid off, because you were one of the few.

So, everything was actually going amazingly, I loved the game, yadda yadda. Then they made an expansion pack, Jump to Lightspeed. It was alright, nothing really changed, etc. Just allowed for ships. Cool. You could swap out all of the parts in yours and PVP in Kessel, or fight in enemy faction zones.

Speaking of faction zones... there were CITIES. Players could build their own homes on the major planets, so guilds quite often had their own cities as a meeting place. You could fully furnish/decorate your place to show off how rich you were. As well, most guilds declared their status, being allied with the Imperial Order or the Rebel Alliance, though you could, if you wanted to, remain neutral. You coyld also be an Outlaw/smuggler type and be allied with no one.

So, these factions lead to MASSIVE city versus city battles, with whole guilds fighting against each other. If a guild won dominance, they could force another one to pick up and get out, leaving the space free for the winning guild to use. It was intense.

Finally, you didn't have to be a combat-class to win in the game. In games like WoW, combat is most important, while crafting is secondary. Not so in SWG! Things are far different, as the game was HIGHLY enjoyable to play without any combat skills, because you were the elite. Crafters always had the most money because everyone needed to buy things from them.

Now, things went sour not even a year after the release of JTL. the idiotys up there at Sony Online Entertainment felt that we weren't enjoying the game enough, and that it was too complicated to get into from a new user's perspective (9 different types of damage, 7 different armour types, etc), so they engineered a very dumb 'upgrade' called the CU, or Combat Upgrade. It changed combat to make it much more like WoW, which was retarded. The CU was thrown in with the latest expansion pack, Rage of the Wookies, which was basically just a plug for Revenge of the Sith. But, the game was still playable, so play it we did.

Then, in November 2005 something horrible happened. With the release of the last expansion pack, called Trials of Obi Wan, the released the NGE. I can't even remember what the hell it stands for, New Game Enhancements I think, but it was called Not Good Enough by all the fans.

They broke the game. They turned 38 classes into 9 'Iconic From-the-movies' classes, changed the combat style from turn-based, line up your attacks in a bar at the bottom of the screen, to mouse-aim and click, they broke most of the systems, such as Buffed Clothing, which actually gave you negative stats. And worst, most horribly of all, they GAVE AWAY Jedi with the box. Those that had worked 2 long years at the game's release to get to this hidden class were shocked to find that new characters could be Jedi right from the start of the game.

Needless to say 85% of the subscription base quit then and there. My server used to have 35 thousand players. It has 800 at last count.

Level 17
Anarchy online has something VERY similar. Infact its the closest thing I can see to your description. Where guilds and such can make cities, you can have a house, etc.

Anarchy online was the shit back in the day, after they fixed all of the horrible launch day bugs. But after like 8 years or something, the graphics are horribly out dated. And the fun based players have gone.. its all "WTB WTS LFT" at the screen now. No more people having conversations and just talking.

If i didnt know better, i'd think the community was a bunch of bots, doing repetative tasks. The mission system was fun, randomly generated quests that didnt suck. While they had only a few generic objectives (Find X person, Find X item and return it to X person, Kill X person, Save X person) they were all randomly generated with randomly generated dungeons. Not surprisingly these dungeons looked very similar to each other. But it was still ok. Since you got a randomly generated mission, when you enter the "Dungeon" it was only you. So like, there might be a door in the alley way that leads to randomly generated dungeons. But you can only enter if you have a quest, and then your directed to YOUR dungeon the one that came with the random quest.

Ya it was cool, they had team quests too. But it got old very fast. And anarchy online is the definition of Grind fest.

But the guild system was cool, it sucked that you had to be a subscriber that had the expansions to actually make a city for your guild. And it costs ALOT of (Virtual) money.

Classes were kind of cool. What i really hated was that they just HAD to put magic in some form or the other. Of course, they just called it Nano bots. But it was magical sparks flying from your hand that buff the enemy in some way. So in the end it was magic. But you didnt have to use it, there was soldier, agent and loads of random shit.

Engineer was the funnest, you could build and have your own andriod pet. Andriods were strong, i kept upgrading mine. He served me well.

But better and newer mmos came, and the poor Sci-fi community died off.

Today, its inhabited by mindless drones who lvl and pvp 24/7. No conversation, clans are all buisness, selling items to make profit. No people talking just normally, no roleplaying of any sorts...

Ya the community died.... sucks... it was a fun game for a while. Also, it was the only real Sci-Fi MMO that didnt have you in a space ship.

Level 15
I'm excited for Crime Craft. It's going to be a free MMOFPS (I'll explain in a second) that runs on the totally awesome Unreal Tournament 3 engine (no joke) and is based on being a gangster/mobster/hooligan/etc. "Quests" come in two flavors: committing crimes such as bank robberies and the like, and fighting in instanced zones against bots or other gangs [of players]. Level is not indicated by XP, but rather by what you wear/fight with, according to an interview with the developer. The game, which is set in urban cities, will have many places to put advertisements, such as billboards or bus stops, as well as an item mall. This item mall has weapons and clothing you could buy/make/obtain in game, but it will take more time to do so, as to not overpower them (which is a good and fair idea).

This is an MMOFPS. It takes what you normally find in shooters like Unreal and adds missions (quests), inventories, gangs (guilds), etc., as well as the ability to fight in deathmatches in an instanced zone. Not only do I think this game will be freakin' awesome, but I think it might reach top dog in the world of free MMOs.

Level 25
In regards to EvE: Goonsquad, hell yeah. Best force in the game

In regards to SWG: It was actually Lucas' fault everything got screwed up, allegedly. He apparently played the game, didn't like some parts, so told them to change it. Which is how it all got fucked up horribly with the new game enhancement stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 13
Who cares they both suck.

Just wait for GTA 4 to come to PC this november, people will make a MMO mod and you'll have 500 people running around liberty city.

Fuckin awesome
I highly doubt people can raise the maximum player amount for multiplayer past 16, and if they can it's most likely going to be around 32 then. Besides, the GTA IV map is NOT suitable for over 20 players, no matter where you would go someone would shoot you down. I prefer the 16-player free roam that is already a multiplayer mode for GTA IV.

A Zombie mod would be nice thought, all citizens replaced with bloodthirsty zombies and the players must fight them off.

Level 17
Tyranid, have you played SA:MP?

SA-MP San Andreas Multiplayer mod for Grand Theft Auto (GTA SA)

It works VERY well, each server can be modded to fit the needs. There are Roleplay servers, Gang war servers, Zombie servers, RPG servers (Where you earn cash, there are Jobs you can do for cash, you can buy homes, cars, etc.)

Its pretty damn cool. And if they did it to SA they can do it to GTA IV (Although people will need better computers...)

Level 13
Tyranid, have you played SA:MP?
Nope, sorry don't own SA on the computer. I only have it for the PS 2. But the mod sounds nice, I was never aware of it. The only multiplayer mod I've played for a GTA game was for Vice City and it was, at the state I played it, buggy and could hold only like 10 players.

Level 36
Well HL2 is mostly made up of Zombie mods right, so it's not like the zombie modders aren't out there. But GTA... would just be amazing. It'd be like Left 4 Dead essentially... the whole town just wandering with zombies while the players have to survive.... GOD DAMN THAT WOULD BE COOL.

Level 15
But GTA isn't an MMO, or an RPG, for that matter. Let's not stray off-topic here... I don't want my thread to be closed by an administrator.

Level 17
It technically can BECOME an MMO with that mod.

There are RPG mods for San Andreas. Well, Sub mods for the multiplayer mod. Its a server that has an RPG mod ON the MP mod. Mods inside mods. Pure awesomeness.

Ya like i mentioned, the RPG server is basicly an MMO, you level up, you can get a job and do all this crap...

But most of the good ones have fun hating server admins who kick anyone who doesnt roleplay correctly

Level 17
It technically can BECOME an MMO with that mod.

There are RPG mods for San Andreas. Well, Sub mods for the multiplayer mod. Its a server that has an RPG mod ON the MP mod. Mods inside mods. Pure awesomeness.

Ya like i mentioned, the RPG server is basicly an MMO, you level up, you can get a job and do all this crap...

But most of the good ones have fun hating server admins who kick anyone who doesnt roleplay correctly
Is wc3 an MMO when playing open role playing games? NO, so that logic fails.

Level 12
"Or if you have a really decent PC, buy Call of duty 4 " Lol you do realize you to have really good specs to play this right? Decent? Pfft Decent my ass lol. You also realize the graphics are just epic and realistic right? That requires a pretty big graphics card.

"Servers can hold up to 300 people at once." If I remember right WoW's servers can hold 5x that amount.

Level 17
"Or if you have a really decent PC, buy Call of duty 4 " Lol you do realize you to have really good specs to play this right? Decent? Pfft Decent my ass lol. You also realize the graphics are just epic and realistic right? That requires a pretty big graphics card.

"Servers can hold up to 300 people at once." If I remember right WoW's servers can hold 5x that amount.
The minimum requirements for CoD 4 is a 6600 series card. Yes, a card made about 4 years ago. Very demanding game, I see. :croll:

Level 17
Is wc3 an MMO when playing open role playing games? NO, so that logic fails.
Wc3 does not support servers of 300 people playing an Orpg at the same time.

Quoted from Wikipedia A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMOG or simply MMO) is a video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously.
It can infact be classified as an "MMO", just barley, but it CAN. Your counter logic fails.

Your absloutly right. Oh wait! WoW is a fully fledged game with a monthly subscription, SA - MP is a free mod

And epic lulz at punwisp, If your computer is such fail then get a 360.

Level 17
It can infact be classified as an "MMO", just barley, but it CAN. Your counter logic fails.
1. That's more of a trend which MMOG's follow; not a rule.

2. You quoted Wikipedia, which is the most fucking retarted thing ever.

3. I can quote too.

Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games are played online over a network or the Internet by more than one player. ...

Level 17
Wow dude, you proved absloutly nothing in your post other than that you think quoting wikipedia is
the most fucking retarded thing ever.

Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games are played online over a network or the Internet by more than one player. ...

1. That's more of a trend which MMOG's follow; not a rule.
SA MP is much closer to being an MMO. The name gives it away, MASSIVLY multiplayer online. 12 is not massive.

2.You quoted this from somewhere, which is the most fucking retarded thing ever

3. I can quote too.

Level 15
Let's not ARGUE. I want to talk about fully fledged MMOs, not a mod, as I've stated. Seriously... don't fight over it. The multiplayer mod may be CLOSE (as in far from) being an mmo, but that doesn't make it one. I'm CLOSE to being 14, but it doesn't mean I AM 14. Get it?

Level 17
Wow dude, you proved absloutly nothing in your post other than that you think quoting wikipedia is

SA MP is much closer to being an MMO. The name gives it away, MASSIVLY multiplayer online. 12 is not massive.

2.You quoted this from somewhere, which is the most fucking retarded thing ever
You quoted WIKIPEDIA, which ANYONE CAN EDIT.

Level 12
Wc3 does not support servers of 300 people playing an Orpg at the same time.

Your absloutly right. Oh wait! WoW is a fully fledged game with a monthly subscription, SA - MP is a free mod

And epic lulz at punwisp, If your computer is such fail then get a 360.

Epic fail? The only thing stopping me from playing CoD4 is RAM. 360? Um why? Why waste money on one right now? Just to get a game? No thanks, its cheaper to just buy ram and a game.

Btw SA is NOT a MMO whether you add or mod or not. The game isn't classified as a MMO, it isn't a MMO, can be? it either is or isn't, and it isn't. WoW being free or required a sub fee makes no difference, besides more people play WoW anyway. You have no logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.