• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mighty Alpha Tile: What exactly does it do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm trying to wrap my head around the mighty alpha tile (MAT). The most definitive guide that I have found so far is this one: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...rtistic-style-using-mighty-alpha-tile-176544/. I still don't know if I fully "get it".

If I understand correctly, the MAT is a custom tile that is completely transparent, that you can use to create invisible terrain, and that has performance advantages over using very large numbers of doodads to achieve the same outcomes. Is that correct?

So if I want to create a spiral staircase using overlapping doodads, should I use the MAT or invisible platforms to create the walkable framework that the overlapping doodads rest on?

Apologies if I posted this question in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure if it belonged here or in the WE Help Zone.

Level 13
It's not that mighty. just call it alpha tile.

and that has performance advantages over using very large numbers of doodads to achieve the same outcomes
If you mean invisible platforms - yes

should I use the MAT or invisible platforms to create the walkable framework
invisible platforms
You could do it with the alpha tile but you would have to change the terrain hight every millisecond.

I think there is no good solution for spiral stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.