• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Maximum map size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi! I've been looking around on this and there are only threads / answers from <2008, they all say 8mb is max, but i noticed a map I was playing called twilights eve orpg 1.14d is 9400kb , and theres also a new version out, which most likely is bigger. So my question is, does anyone know the maximum map size? Thanks

/Frale

Level 9
Be aware the limit is on file size and not stored size. A map can take more than 8 MB on backing storage due to the formating of the drive.

soory for eventually sounding stupid but whats the difference between file size and stored size? and is it possible to take that difference for your own advantage somehow?

@claptomaniac - just a quick browse at the properties tab of a single file and you'd see that File size and File size on disk have different values...

based on DSG's comment, I think file size is the size of the file itself while storage file size is the size of the file + any additions from the formatting of the drive...

@Fralexxelarf - can you post a screenie of the properties of the map?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The actual file size is the number of bytes you can request from the file before getting an EOF error. The phsycial size is the number of bytes of backing storage used to store the file.

Physical size is made from aligning the actual size to the nearest block (smallest unit of backing storage that can be allocated) and throwing in the storage for things like permission matrix, folder structure and various time stamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.