• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Maximum map size for single player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Yo wadap, a simple question hopefully in the right section~ What would be the maximum map size allowed for a single player map? Or what would be the maximum size you guys would be willing to download?

I'm currently creating a single player RPG with high quality doodads, custom sounds, music and all that cool stuff. Only problem is that the size is nearing 100MBs. So would you guys generally download a map that size?

Level 7
Yeah i know there are no limits. I'm just wondering would people be willing to download maps at such size. =/

For a campaign, I'd be willing to download above 100 MB. For a single player map, it really depends on the type of map/screenshots/gameplay previews. I'd generally be willing to download 50-100 MB, but only if I am really interested in playing the map (if it is really really awesome, I might be able to ignore the map size). The better the presentation, the higher the chances of someone downloading it. A map without any info or screenshots most likely won't get a download from me, especially if it is really high in file size.

The issue with single-player maps is that, because of the lack of file size limit, they are rarely ever compressed. You'd be surprised how much they can be compressed without a noticeable quality difference. All in all, aim low. Get it as low as possible without sacrificing quality (e.g. run it through the optimizer, run models through squisher, lower sound bit rate to a quality where you won't notice the difference). Once you get to that point, then make quality adjustments as needed, etc.

While your download speed is 92.83 mb/s, you can expect most wc3 users to have 1 to 25 mb/s (occasionally even less than 1). Just keep that in mind. :)

Level 5
I feel under 300mb is good.

It depends on how awesome your map is lol

Pretty much what he said, I'd be willing to download nearly any size as long as the map awesomeness level to map size ratio is good ;P

On a side note: What's the general max size for a multiplayer map ? He kinda got me wondering :p

Level 7
Allright thanks. I believe the map is going to be pretty amazing, atleast i'm having fun creating it... Adding a slice of black humour there and there. :)
Also thanks for the pointers PurgeAndFire. I'll probably do alot of compressing and cleaning up when its finished~

@Elemental91, I took a few year break from warcraft III modding, but i believe the max size is still 8MB?

Allright thanks. I believe the map is going to be pretty amazing, atleast i'm having fun creating it... Adding a slice of black humour there and there. :)

@Elemental91, I took a few year break from warcraft III modding, but i believe the max size is still 8MB?

Yes the size is 8MB, when it used to be just 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.