• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map file has 5 sizes? Which has to be under 8MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I'm preparing a map that I would like to be hostable on Battle.net. I believe that means the map has to be under 8MB. When I look at the size of my map though, it has 5 different sizes!
If I just look at window's explorer, the file is: 7,811KB.

If I right-click on it and select properties, it has:

Size: 7.62 MB (7,998,320 bytes)
Size on disk: 7.62 MB (7,999,488 bytes)

Which of these five numbers has to be under 8MB to host on Battlenet?

Thanks!

Darwin

Level 14
Its a rough estimate but I would say its under 8MB but also that you should look at all of them. I am not sure why that happens? maybe a bug or something I am not so sure.

It works now, I've tested it, but I'm still adding an introduction. I'm not sure how much memory that'll take up, but it's not nothing. I suppose I can just try and see. The idea that 1000 KB isn't 1MB is very sad to me... the world is so cold and dark now. I suppose that's good though, because it's only 7.6MB.

Thanks by the way, + rep

Darwin

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
That file only has 2 sizes.
1. Actual file size. This is the number of bytes allocated to thise file.
2. Physical file size. This is the amount of storage space used to store this file on disk. It is rounded to the nearest whole block usually for logical reasons (easier to handle).

As the physical size is dependant on storage media, storage format and flexible settings it will logically be ignored by the game. This size is only there to warn you how much of your storage volume it is really using.

The actual file size is the number of bytes that would need to be allocated in system memory if the file is to be fully loaded. This value is absolute so the same map on your computer or mine may have different physical sizes but the actual file size will be the same.

WC3 has an actual size limit on its maps of 8MB exactly. These however are Computer Scientist units so are 2^10 not 10^3 per set. Thus it is perfeclty acceptable to see maps over 8000KB because they are still under 8192KB (8MB).

Status
Not open for further replies.