• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making buildings fly and land

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Has anyone ever been able to make a building lift off and fly and then land again in acceptable terrain only. I've been playing with the Bear form ability to try and make it work but the best i could do was make it lift off. Has anyone managed this?

Level 6
Couldnt you do this with the Root/Unroot ability?

Using an Ancient protector to make it easier, couldnt you just set its movement type to flying?
Then when it unroots it would be flying... and it would have to root (snigger :oops: ) in acceptable ground

of course thats just speculation...

Bort

Level 8
If all else fails, you could use a morph ability to turn it into a flying unit, and give the flying unit a "Build tiny" ability with low range so that it can only be re-placed on acceptable ground.
That's kind of a bastardized work-around, though. If rooting works, do that.

Level 3
Root seems to work fine for what I wanted to accomplish and I didn't have to create a new unit or anything. All i had to do was add height, speed, turn rate and change the movemnet mode to flying for a building (town hall in this case), and then give the building the root ability and it flew around and landed just like i wanted. There were only two problems.
1) Buildings that flew around after being "uprooted" would merge together in the air if ordered to move to the same spot.
2) The flying buildings are still targeted as ground units and are attacked by units that only have ground attacks.
I was wondering if there was a way to change what a unit is targeted as using triggers but I'm kinda a noob with triggers and stuff. I'll have to check it out but if anyone would know how to make a flying building targetable as air when its flying and then change it back to targetable as structure when it lands again, I would appreciate it if you would let me know.
Vgsatomi, as far as I can tell, the root\uproot ability doesn't leave you any option to replace the ground unit with another like the bear form ability does for example (normal form u8nit-alternate form unit), so I don't think the tergeting problem can be solved in that way. Thanks for suggesting that I use the root ability however. Despite the two minor flaws I think I'm still gonna use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.